Author Topic: Yamaha Wheel finish  (Read 8255 times)

Ramnite

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Yamaha Wheel finish
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2014, 09:08:35 pm »
Good to see the rims cleaned up nicely for you. Too bad on the gel coat but like you, that's what I would expect as well. Seems typical of many companies out there today. Greed is a wonderful thing isn't it? (sarcasm)
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2014, 09:12:52 pm by Ramnite »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

SilverStar

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2014, 09:37:37 pm »
    Get a product called Neverdull and you won't have to sand.   It's like the Skidmore of bare aluminum.  It cleans the crud out of the pores and leaves just the bare aluminum.  If it's machined it looks machined, if it's polished it looks polished.  I love the stuff.
    "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  -  Isaac Asimov

MODS
    Yami Tall Sissy Bar
    Kury Passenger Swept Wing Pegs and Extensions
    Speedstar Drags
    Avons front and 240 rear
    Mustang 2-piece

Tail dragger

• Raider
    « Reply #17 on: Apr 24, 2014, 05:09:40 pm »
    You were right about the finish not looking good.  Almost like it was a poor sandblasting job.  Was it just the wheels or did you find the defects in the frame, etc. as well?

• Advertisement

Biker Cowboy

• Two wheels on a Ribbon of Highway = Shining Times
      • Roadliner
        • Motorcycle Touring on Freedom Road
      « Reply #18 on: Apr 24, 2014, 09:42:48 pm »
      You were right about the finish not looking good.  Almost like it was a poor sandblasting job.  Was it just the wheels or did you find the defects in the frame, etc. as well?

Was just on/in the wheels ... AND it was this past summer '13. which was ALL paved roads on the Oregon/California coast... No back road runs at all... well except one short one up in Montana... buuuut... that was after this had happened anyway...

It was like a bunch of gravel got caught in the wheels and spun around. Except I wasn't in any. Both wheels... front and back and both sides. All evenly scraped up like that 360 degrees... with no sign of anything else like it on the frame or the swingarms... just the wheels  ??? Oh... and it's up on those bare aluminum patches on the spokes too... but the Black finish on the wheels? Not a scratch or a scrape... just in that clear finish... I have no friggin idea how...

When the world is crushing your soul... Put two wheels on a Ribbon of Highway... and leave your burdens behind...

Tail dragger

• Raider
      « Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2014, 08:36:51 am »

Was just on/in the wheels ... AND it was this past summer '13. which was ALL paved roads on the Oregon/California coast... No back road runs at all... well except one short one up in Montana... buuuut... that was after this had happened anyway...

It was like a bunch of gravel got caught in the wheels and spun around. Except I wasn't in any. Both wheels... front and back and both sides. All evenly scraped up like that 360 degrees... with no sign of anything else like it on the frame or the swingarms... just the wheels  ??? Oh... and it's up on those bare aluminum patches on the spokes too... but the Black finish on the wheels? Not a scratch or a scrape... just in that clear finish... I have no friggin idea how...

That is odd.  Sure makes you wonder what was the cause?  I went back out to the garage and looked at my wheels and other that the scratches where they have changed tires...nothing like that at all. 

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #20 on: Apr 25, 2014, 09:20:55 am »
      Get a product called Neverdull and you won't have to sand.   It's like the Skidmore of bare aluminum.  It cleans the crud out of the pores and leaves just the bare aluminum.  If it's machined it looks machined, if it's polished it looks polished.  I love the stuff.

What does it do to paint?  I wonder how well this will work on my Savage Eclipse wheels.

SilverStar

• Raider
      « Reply #21 on: Apr 25, 2014, 10:52:51 am »
      So far, in my experience, I have seen absolutely no reaction to it from any paint.  It smells a lot like lighter fluid or body shop prep cleaner, so I suspect it's less agressive than gas. 

No guarantees, that's just my experience.

It's basically raw cotton wads with the chemical, so the chem gets in the pores, lossens the grime, and the cotton wipes it away.  Ever see polished alloy semi wheels that look grey from oxidation?  I did a set of those and they looked like they were less than a year old.  Took a ton of elbow grease, though.  You just rub and rub till it looks like it should, or you realize nothing will save it.  I used it on my 'Cade wheels and they have some sort of coating, I guess, because it didn't work.  I've used it mostly on aluminum but it's awesome on brass and I bet it would work on copper if it isn't too bad.

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #22 on: Apr 25, 2014, 11:03:59 am »
      Thanks!  I googled the product and got on their website. I didn't see any warnings about paint, but I went ahead and sent off an email to check. I may pick some up and try it out. I just want to know how careful I need to be with the paint. 

Anyone interested, here's the Nevr-Dull website.

Tail dragger

• Raider
      « Reply #23 on: Apr 25, 2014, 11:13:06 am »
      I've used it for years...keep a can in the garage on a shelf.  Seems like it lasts forever.  I've used it on exhaust when someone gets their boot on the exhaust and it melts on there.  Does an excellent job on chrome.

SilverStar

• Raider
      « Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2014, 12:23:30 pm »
      Thanks!  I googled the product and got on their website. I didn't see any warnings about paint, but I went ahead and sent off an email to check. I may pick some up and try it out. I just want to know how careful I need to be with the paint. 

If my wheels cost $2-3k I'd be mighty careful too!  :yikes:   I doubt they'll be susceptible, some rattle can paint might be.

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2014, 12:24:33 pm »

If my wheels cost $2-3k I'd be mighty careful too!  :yikes:   I doubt they'll be susceptible, some rattle can paint might be.

$4k

SilverStar

• Raider
      « Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2014, 12:26:22 pm »

$4k

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #27 on: Apr 25, 2014, 12:27:41 pm »

$4k

I know.  They're real pretty though.

SilverStar

• Raider
      « Reply #28 on: Apr 25, 2014, 12:34:56 pm »

$4k

I know.  They're real pretty though.
      That they are!

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

Dudeman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Warrior
      « Reply #29 on: Apr 25, 2014, 12:57:28 pm »
      Neverdull is a great product. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It works a treat, but it takes me right back to basic training every time I smell it.
      Sent from my TRS-80 using BASIC