Author Topic: HR Slimbags by Hardstreet  (Read 2486 times)

xmanrigger

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
HR Slimbags by Hardstreet
« on: Jul 18, 2014, 03:43:35 pm »
Has anyone installed HR Slimbags by Hardstreet on a Raider?
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/hr-slimbags-by-hardstreet?b=Star+Motorcycle&d=12|12&f=2012|49

I installed the bags ordered from Yamaha as well as the mounting kit. I think I was given the wrong mounting kit as the bags dont fit. There is a huge gap between the bags and the fender/bike. I followed instructions to the letter, but they look like something randomly bolted onto the bike. I was hoping for a nice close fit as these bags are sold by STAR for the Raider. I cant imagine anybody actually using these bags if this is the way they are supposed to fit.
Furthermore, they are tiny. I was expecting much bigger bags. My jacket wont even fit inside. Also, they seem super cheap. I was scared I was going to break the bag off trying to stuff my jacket inside. For $1374.00 (bags, taxes and mounting kit), I would expect a custom fit and at least some quality. They have an American flag sticker inside indicating they were made in the US, but I have seen much higher quality come from China.

Very disappointed with them. Here are pictures of one bag mounted. After seeing this, I didnt bother unwrapping the other. I took it back off and packed it up to return to Yamaha.

Did they give me the wrong mounting kit?

Label on box that bags came in:

The label from mounting kit:

Not sure why last 2 pics upside down.

This is a pic I got from the net showing the mounts I was given:

This is the mounting bracket for the 2012 Raider shown in STAR website. This is not the same as what came in my kit.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2014, 03:46:12 pm by xmanrigger »

2012 Raider / V&H Big Radius 2-1 / Cobra Fi2000 DFP / Baron Stealth Big Air / Avon AV72 Cobra Rear Tire /

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    Re: HR Slimbags by Hardstreet
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2014, 03:50:25 pm »
    For that price I would return them and check out Tsukayu.  It'll cost you about half the price shipped and they are awesome bags.  Plenty of models to choose from too.

I have "Coner" bags on mine.

Tail dragger

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2014, 03:57:10 pm »
    Wow...sure doesn't do the bike any justice at all.  They stick out farther than my bags do with the EasyBrackets quick release...and I thought they stuck out a long way.

• Advertisement

Budzo

• 2014 ROM Winner
      • Warrior
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2014, 03:58:53 pm »
      Brackets are correct.  Spacers are too long.  PM MinnRaider.  He has the same bags and I'm sure he can help you out. 

RangerRick

• Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2014, 07:06:26 am »
      I took out the spacers and used SS washers on mine till the brackets just cleared the fender stays, moved them in much closer.
      2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

NordicMan

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2014, 08:49:09 am »
      Well even if you CAN get them fitting snugly against the bike, send them back anyway if you can.  If they're too small for your needs then they're too small, and a nice close fit won't help that

Raven

• Warrior
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2014, 09:01:31 am »
      Furthermore, they are tiny. I was expecting much bigger bags. My jacket wont even fit inside. Also, they seem super cheap. I was scared I was going to break the bag off trying to stuff my jacket inside. For $1374.00 (bags, taxes and mounting kit), I would expect a custom fit and at least some quality. They have an American flag sticker inside indicating they were made in the US, but I have seen much higher quality come from China.

I had Cavalry Custom bags on my last bike, Road Star, and bang for the buck I think they are the best bags out there. Made from full sheet fiberglass they are very sturdy, unlike the ABS ones made nowadays and hold a ton of gear. They are similar looking to Harley bags but the likeness ends there. American made in California, check them out....

http://www.cavalrycustoms.com/store/hard_saddle_bags.html

Tail dragger

• Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2014, 11:29:17 am »
      Well even if you CAN get them fitting snugly against the bike, send them back anyway if you can.  If they're too small for your needs then they're too small, and a nice close fit won't help that

I agree...I got large bags (Saddleman Drifter) and then wished I had gotten the jumbo.  A couple of inches do make a lot of difference when you are packing things.

xmanrigger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2014, 03:51:49 pm »
      I took out the spacers and used SS washers on mine till the brackets just cleared the fender stays, moved them in much closer.

I removed the spacers as well and fitted the bag to the bike with just the brackets and it was still spaced much further than my likings. I really find it hard to believe that this is the way they were intended to fit. Totally ruins the look of the Raider. I was skeptical about putting bags on to begin with.

To the rest that replied, thanks and I will look into the suggestions. I will not be using the Hardstreet bags. After seeing the quality of the Slim Bag and it being too small, I still would not go for the jumbo.

PS: Installed a 240 rear tire last night (Avon AV72 Cobra Rear Tire 240/40VR18). Fits with no mods........... just. Raised the rear higth a couple inches, but handles like a champ. It rolls nice and smooth in the corners, and carves them like a butcher. Maybe I wont rub all the way thru the heat shield on my V&H pipes now. Got a good flat spot going on. LOL Got pics of the tire mounted if anyone wants to see.
      Also installed a PIA headlight bulb. Dont waste your money on that. The stock headlight bulb is much better.

2012 Raider / V&H Big Radius 2-1 / Cobra Fi2000 DFP / Baron Stealth Big Air / Avon AV72 Cobra Rear Tire /