Author Topic: If you had a water jet...  (Read 2990 times)

no

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 10
If you had a water jet...
« on: Jul 19, 2014, 12:30:14 pm »
So I program, and operate a waterjet which means in my downtime I more or less have free access to the machine. So if you guys had access to a water jet what parts would you make for your bike? Along with access to the machine I also have access to a full compliment of 304 stainless, and carbon steel. I attached a couple pictures of side projects I've done.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: If you had a water jet...
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2014, 12:44:05 pm »
    The possibilities are endless with a water jet, end mill or a lathe, wish I had them I could come up with all kinds of cool projects.
    Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
    Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

RuneRaider

• 2009 Red Raider S
    • Roadliner
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2014, 02:11:28 pm »
    How about scripted "Raider" stainless or aluminum tank badges. There's a custom shop that mills tourpak "Screamin' Eagle" emblems out of brass and then they get chome plated after that. It fixes to the tourpak with 3M tape. Maybe they use a water jet as well and they look to be 3/16" thick. You might be able to cut out the "Raider" emblem with 3M tape already attached or cut out the emblem, send it for plating and then fix the 3M tape later on. Would a water jet destroy tape like that or would it cut and not leave rough edges? seems like it would cut nice and smooth. Just cut it a litle bit smaller than the emblem so you don't see the tape edge.

Adding to that aspect is a lexan backplate that could go underneath the emblem and led's inserted from the sides to illuminate the emblem. Getting wires to it would be the trick. Otherwise a chrome plated or polished stainless/aluminum Raider badge for the tank or toolbox would be cool. Smaller units could be used on the coil covers or fender or a nice 113/120 engine badge would look cool.

Something for the side panel where a person could drill the paenel to run wiring for illumination would be trick as well. Name tags, flames or other accent is possible. Endless opportunities.
    Photons by the bag.
    Gravitons no longer shipped outside the US or Canada

• Advertisement

no

• Warrior
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2014, 02:47:58 pm »
      How about scripted "Raider" stainless or aluminum tank badges. There's a custom shop that mills tourpak "Screamin' Eagle" emblems out of brass and then they get chome plated after that. It fixes to the tourpak with 3M tape. Maybe they use a water jet as well and they look to be 3/16" thick. You might be able to cut out the "Raider" emblem with 3M tape already attached or cut out the emblem, send it for plating and then fix the 3M tape later on. Would a water jet destroy tape like that or would it cut and not leave rough edges? seems like it would cut nice and smooth. Just cut it a litle bit smaller than the emblem so you don't see the tape edge.

Adding to that aspect is a lexan backplate that could go underneath the emblem and led's inserted from the sides to illuminate the emblem. Getting wires to it would be the trick. Otherwise a chrome plated or polished stainless/aluminum Raider badge for the tank or toolbox would be cool. Smaller units could be used on the coil covers or fender or a nice 113/120 engine badge would look cool.

Something for the side panel where a person could drill the paenel to run wiring for illumination would be trick as well. Name tags, flames or other accent is possible. Endless opportunities.

Hmmm... Now ya got the gears clickin in my head... Cutting the metal with the tape on it doesn't work, mainly due to the burr the jet pulls up on the back side, it's not huge but it does need to be cleaned off, but I could likely cut the tape with the jet then just simply stick it on, or worse case trim it to the piece.

bkyger

• Warrior
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2014, 02:54:53 pm »
      I would make tons of parts for my raider riding buddies, especially the ones that live just over the mountains.. ;)

RuneRaider

• 2009 Red Raider S
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2014, 03:09:42 pm »
      How thick of material will your jet cut in various material. IE, steel, aluminum, brass, stainless. Was looking at Supreme Legends forward controls and wondering how they a machining their flat portions. Do you guys have a lathe? Probably more involved than I'm thinking and a bridgeport would be needed to make the stand offs.

Helmet Raider plates might be something someone would want. Fairing trim or flames (tank too) might be something.

Too bad I'm not visiting my bro in Vancouver. I'd like to see your fun stuff but then having a guest might cause problems with the owner and insurance.
      Photons by the bag.

no

• Warrior
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2014, 03:14:49 pm »
      I can cut up to 12" thick material with the jet, that limitation is based on my Z axis travel (vertical head travel).

The shop I work at is pretty laid back actually, they don't mind if I bring people in to check out the equipment, helps that I am on the safety committee too :D

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2014, 04:15:58 pm »
      I'd make:
      Some custom emblems
      Girder front end
      New rear fender brackets
      one-off footpegs
      one-off Quick detach backrest
      New dash
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

Nate_5

• Houston Area Group
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2014, 05:24:31 pm »
      I'd make:
      Some custom emblems
      Girder front end
      New rear fender brackets
      one-off footpegs
      one-off Quick detach backrest
      New dash
      +1

RedRaider

• Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2014, 06:31:02 pm »
      I would have a "113" cut out of the coil covers. Then I would cover it over from the inside with an opaque film, and light it up with some LED from the inside.

RuneRaider

• 2009 Red Raider S
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2014, 06:42:33 pm »
      I would have a "113" cut out of the coil covers. Then I would cover it over from the inside with an opaque film, and light it up with some LED from the inside.

That's a great idea. Could do a 1 for 1 exchange if someone has a spare set lying around. Hmmm it'll still have a raw untreated edge for rust to attack. No problem if it's a black cover (repaint) or if someone wants to powder coat the cover. Replating is an option as well just a bit more coin. Could paint the edges as a preservation method or maybe dip it stuff. Sure would look sharp backlit. Minor issues for a cool look.
      Photons by the bag.

Steber

• My first car was a motorcycle.
      • Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2014, 07:24:05 pm »
      Maybe some tappet sleeve covers? Like flames or webbing of some sort? Seen some bikes that had this that was pretty neat... Also on the fork between the triple tree brackets..

Could always do shift linkages...

I also like the idea of rear fender brackets, would be nice to have something different back their, something custom.

A custom fender bib like the rack for solo riders.. maybe a flame or something that has "raider" in it..

no

• Warrior
      « Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2014, 09:11:51 pm »

That's a great idea. Could do a 1 for 1 exchange if someone has a spare set lying around. Hmmm it'll still have a raw untreated edge for rust to attack. No problem if it's a black cover (repaint) or if someone wants to powder coat the cover. Replating is an option as well just a bit more coin. Could paint the edges as a preservation method or maybe dip it stuff. Sure would look sharp backlit. Minor issues for a cool look.

Ok I am digging this idea, I will give it a try this week, as for treating the edges that really shouldn't be an issue as the coil covers are plastic.

RedRaider

• Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2014, 09:14:54 pm »

Ok I am digging this idea, I will give it a try this week, as for treating the edges that really shouldn't be an issue as the coil covers are plastic.

...and in payment for a cool idea, I'll let you do mine too  ;D ;D

RuneRaider

• 2009 Red Raider S
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2014, 09:22:26 pm »
      Oh well heck, plastic should't be a problem. Chrome might start peeling though. Not always trying to throw a wet blanket on ideas...they just kinda pop into my melon. Looking forward to seeing this project. My bro in Vancouver just might be interested as well. I'll drop hm a note and see if he's interested since he has a raven.
      Photons by the bag.