Author Topic: Rework and reshape factory seat?  (Read 1378 times)

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 2
Rework and reshape factory seat?
« on: Jul 23, 2014, 02:38:51 pm »
Anybody ever have there stock seat reworked by American soft seats? They can reshape and add a gel memeroy foam to it. They charge $169 for the driver seat. Sounds like it might be a cheaper option than buying an aftermarket seat. Anyone heard of this company?

http://www.americanasoftseats.com/

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

SilverStar

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: Rework and reshape factory seat?
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2014, 03:41:48 pm »
    Anybody ever have there stock seat reworked by American soft seats? They can reshape and add a gel memeroy foam to it. They charge $169 for the driver seat. Sounds like it might be a cheaper option than buying an aftermarket seat. Anyone heard of this company?

http://www.americanasoftseats.com/

Never heard of them but it looks like it's worth a call.  Had I known about this I probably would have tried it before buying the Mustang.
    "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  -  Isaac Asimov

MODS
    Yami Tall Sissy Bar
    Kury Passenger Swept Wing Pegs and Extensions
    Speedstar Drags
    Avons front and 240 rear
    Mustang 2-piece

BlazingRaider

• SCL#345
    • Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2014, 03:43:03 pm »
    I tried reshaping and adding foam myself on my Vulcan's stock seat. It was cheap and it did improve the seat a little, even though I half-assed it.  $169 doesn't seem like a bad price for a professional job.  Memory foam and gel tend to get a bit hot when sitting in the sun for a while.

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2014, 04:01:42 pm »
      I was just about to ask if anyone had tried themselves.  Memory Foam isn't all that expensive and redoing a seat isn't that tough if you're using the existing cover.

asicrunner

• Warrior
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2014, 04:19:54 pm »
      I was just about to ask if anyone had tried themselves.  Memory Foam isn't all that expensive and redoing a seat isn't that tough if you're using the existing cover.

did my own on my old 650 was not to difficult, the gel pad insert was somewhere around 40.00 and yes it seemed to be a bit warmer when left in the sun
      Ride long Ride often

]

LastChance

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2014, 04:48:29 pm »
      I did mine about a month ago not that hard takes about three hours or so and a little patience, longer rides now more enjoyable. Here's a how to link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvA4Hnt9qUM
      I used 1 inch memory foam & gel combo ( Conformax ) on E-bay under $50.
      A good stapler or spray adhesive is needed to reattach the cover I used both (Loctite 200 middle adhesive)

flythair12

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2014, 05:49:27 pm »
      I needed to do something with the seat as well and tried an Airhawk. It works well but looks like $h1#. I bought a second set of seats and took an inch of the foam off the saddle. Glued on an inch of high quality memory foam and then a quarter inch of a little denser foam over that to blend the edges. Actually turned out nice and way more comfortable. Looks stock.

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2014, 07:55:12 pm »
      I may try and send mine to them in the next couple of months. On long rides my tailbone starts to hurt. I have 3" extensions. I would still like to move back another inch or so on my seat.

asicrunner

• Warrior
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2014, 10:19:06 am »
      I plan to do the pillion to add a bit more comfort to my wife on long rides. and when I do I of course will post pic
      Ride long Ride often

]

ground pounder

• grgrgrgrgrgrrrrrrrraaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhghhhhh
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2014, 11:19:35 am »
      Didn't Brent, (BHODGE) re do his seat way back?

Sethw3

• Road Star
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2014, 04:41:49 pm »
      Airhawk is the way to go....I really like mine

Biker Cowboy

• Two wheels on a Ribbon of Highway = Shining Times
      • Roadliner
        • Motorcycle Touring on Freedom Road
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2014, 05:51:35 pm »
      I plan to do the pillion to add a bit more comfort to my wife on long rides. and when I do I of course will post pic

For your Wife's comfort in addition to adding the gel pad into the mix raising the seat with more foam as well as lowering the pegs to get her feet/knees lower is a huge difference. That change in seating posture goes a long way toward dealing with discomfort. It takes some of the pressure off the tailbone that you get when you're sitting with your knees higher than your thighs... a couple of inches works wonders.

Bitchin' Stitchin' did my seats. Added a couple inches in length and width to the pillion as well as the gel and raising it some. I still haven't found pegs I like. I'm thinking of fabbing up some "plates" that the factory pegs will bolt to and then the plates would bolt into the stock location. I tried to do the peg swap where you turn the mounts over... but they still interfere with my hard chrome pipes...
      When the world is crushing your soul... Put two wheels on a Ribbon of Highway... and leave your burdens behind...