Author Topic: NOISE RULES - Mod Pipes That Are Somewhat Quiet  (Read 1536 times)

Peter Pollock

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
NOISE RULES - Mod Pipes That Are Somewhat Quiet
« on: Jul 25, 2014, 12:46:21 pm »
before any body gets too worked up .... I'm a supporter of 'Loud Pipes Save Lives'
and all that stuff.  I dont believe in overdoing the noise thing from my ride, but also no need to
point out how many cages are still texting.

ANYWAY, my local community is putting in more MC noise restrictions.  It's
their personal war against bikes.  It mostly happens because a few guys blast
the neighborhoods with really loud pipes.  there's notin' I can do about it.

Which brings me to the point ... I'm still running the stock exhaust with drilled
pipes  I do need to go to a pipes upgrade.  But i will need pipes that are not
super loud, and have some chance of passing a police inspection.

any thoughts?

thanks,
Pete (dt)

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

dreadly

• living the dream
    • Global Moderator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: NOISE RULES - Mod Pipes That Are Somewhat Quiet
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »
    not sure what the rules are there, but here you have to be at/below 92db at idle and at/below 96db at 2000rpm

They had a clinic where you could bring you bike in and have it tested. I saw Raiders with Cobra Swepts and V&H Big Radius pipes fail the test.

Tail dragger

• Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2014, 01:41:33 pm »
    May have to find out what your local restrictions are (db) and then contact the different manufacturers to see what their pipes test at. 

• Advertisement

Peter Pollock

• Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2014, 03:28:55 pm »
      Dreadly - yeah exactly my problem.  Cuz my first two choices would be the V&H 2-into1 and the Cobra Swepts.  HAHAHA!!!

dT

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »
      I was going to recommend Swepts and just leave the baffles in.  They have a nice deep sound, but I didn't think they were that loud with the baffles. Desiree kept hers in.

V&H 2-1 surpises me too. They never struck me as a loud pipe. Just a nice low rumble.

Tail dragger

• Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2014, 03:41:36 pm »
      I don't think they are that loud...but some municipalities think they are and have a really low threshold on noise levels for motorcycles.  That is why I recommend finding out what their requirements are.  I have swepts (with baffles in) and I've been drowned out noise wise by diesel pickups...but noise restrictions don't apply to them (generally).

Peter Pollock

• Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2014, 06:27:21 pm »
      been looking at noise levels.

they seem to be running about 98-100 dB for typical popular pipes ... like V&H Big Radius.
      This noise level wont pass the EPA regs that the Govt wants to cram onto MC riders.
      and it wont pass levels set by most community groups.

Samson exhausts does have a special baffle that can be inserted into pipes that
      cuta noise down to 84 dB.  But that baffle is 30-inches long.

Seems like the best compromise is to choose a pipe design where its relatively easy
      to insert baffles, or change them for a different (shorter) baffle.
      Any ideas on that??

tx, dT

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2014, 12:12:39 am »
      Check with Big City Thunder, they make a quiet baffle that can be attached to almost any make of pipe you have.

Radioviator

• V Star
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2014, 11:54:14 am »
      I have the neighborhood whiners as well. They complain about our cars and bikes but they run their leaf blowers every Saturday morning for a half hour straight. Don't get me started on the complainers the move next to the airport and then write letters to my company about the planes being too loud!  I am thinking about freedom performance sharp curve radius pipes. Anyone run these with BCT thunder baffles or the freedom quiet baffles? Not looking for quiet just want a nice deep tone.

me

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 8
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2014, 12:19:45 pm »
      I had the V.H. 2x2 with the big city thunder power quiet baffles in them great for power good sound but to quiet for my liking, the price is right also , most riders that I KNOW that has cry babies around have all gone to this set up and have not had any cry babies bitching since

Nate_5

• Houston Area Group
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2014, 03:00:03 pm »
      I have the neighborhood whiners as well. They complain about our cars and bikes but they run their leaf blowers every Saturday morning for a half hour straight. Don't get me started on the complainers the move next to the airport and then write letters to my company about the planes being too loud!  I am thinking about freedom performance sharp curve radius pipes. Anyone run these with BCT thunder baffles or the freedom quiet baffles? Not looking for quiet just want a nice deep tone.
      I have the freedom Performance pipes. My buddies that I ride with have said they are only really loud at WOT as most pipes would be. As far as noise rules what are we calling communities? If it's a neighborhood I would normally just slowly cruise through due to kids and other possible obstacles so noise would never be an issue :-\

Harosha

• Road Star
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2014, 03:26:24 pm »
      I have the freedom Performance pipes. My buddies that I ride with have said they are only really loud at WOT as most pipes would be. As far as noise rules what are we calling communities? If it's a neighborhood I would normally just slowly cruise through due to kids and other possible obstacles so noise would never be an issue :-\

I also have FPSCR pipes with quiet baffles/mufflers for them and they have a very nice sound which is not too loud. There is absolutely no popping which is what I was after and the reason for using quiet baffles.

Rick Busbea

• I call her Ruby....
      • AZ Group
      • Warrior
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2014, 03:57:15 pm »
      dT:  Pretty sure my V&H 2-into-2s wouldn't pass the dB test BUT with the Big City Thunder Quiet baffles (yes, that's an oxymoron), probably would as mine aren't that loud - nothing like Cobra Dragsters.

Peter Pollock

• Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2014, 06:24:13 pm »
      tx ... I will check the Freedom Performance and the Big City Thunder baffles  :-)

dT

Gravybird

• 2011 Raider S
      • Road Star
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2014, 06:55:30 pm »
      Would you guys in the know say that cobra dragsters are louder than swepts, or VH 2 into one?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App