Author Topic: Petey's Bobber  (Read 39096 times)

raulgarzajr.1311

• Houston Area Group
  • Roadliner
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Petey's Bobber
« Reply #90 on: Oct 31, 2014, 09:45:41 pm »
Update: So I told the machinist I was going to pick all the parts up today. Went up there, and I'll be darned if he didn't have them all complete, though all I lack is the foot control mounts. I'm very dissatisfied with the quality of work as well, mainly on the fender, the one piece I couldn't walk away without. But at two months in, I'll take it and just have to look past it until I can do another (with a different shop).
After picking up most of my parts I went straight to the powder coater (who even made a comment about the fender >:( ) which is why I have no pictures of the parts. However, when I got to the coating shop I got a little surprise, they had already finished ALL of the parts I dropped off and he said he would have what I dropped off today by Tuesday !! WOO-WOOO.

I have started to re-assemble the individual parts and will then star the final assembly of the bike. Should be done in a few weeks now!!
I guess its bad and good news

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ken448

• RaideЯ
    • Roadliner
    • Referrals: 0
      • My Raider's Photobucket
    « Reply #91 on: Oct 31, 2014, 10:19:26 pm »
    why'd he tape the rear wheel brake surface, but not the front?

Post pix of botched fender?
    Ken
    09 Raider

Petey_08

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 4
    « Reply #92 on: Nov 01, 2014, 08:49:12 am »

He did tape the front, but he cut me quite the deal on cost to which I agreed to remove the masking (a little work to save some $$, my favorite thing to do), he just wanted to show me the masking detail that went into all the parts on the rear wheel.

I didn't get a picture of the rear fender, or other parts, as I went straight from the machinist to the powder coater. When I get them back next week I'll definitely put them up.

• Advertisement

xmanrigger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #93 on: Nov 01, 2014, 05:13:36 pm »

He did tape the front, but he cut me quite the deal on cost to which I agreed to remove the masking (a little work to save some $$, my favorite thing to do), he just wanted to show me the masking detail that went into all the parts on the rear wheel.

I didn't get a picture of the rear fender, or other parts, as I went straight from the machinist to the powder coater. When I get them back next week I'll definitely put them up.

I have never had anything powder coated before, so forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question.

Do you have to remove all bearings (swingarm, wheels.........) to powder coat? Or can they be covered up? I got some scratches on my swingarm from when I dropped my bike in my driveway. Was thinking about having it powder coated.

2012 Raider / V&H Big Radius 2-1 / Cobra Fi2000 DFP / Baron Stealth Big Air / Avon AV72 Cobra Rear Tire /

Ken448

• RaideЯ
      • Roadliner
        • My Raider's Photobucket
      « Reply #94 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:09:13 pm »
      yes, bearings need to be removed because the powder coating is baked on. 
      Ken
      09 Raider

Petey_08

• Road Star
      « Reply #95 on: Nov 03, 2014, 05:43:55 pm »
      I have never had anything powder coated before, so forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question.

Do you have to remove all bearings (swingarm, wheels.........) to powder coat? Or can they be covered up? I got some scratches on my swingarm from when I dropped my bike in my driveway. Was thinking about having it powder coated.

As Ken said, yes, the bearings need to come out. It isn't the bearings themselves that are the problem, but the plastic parts of the bearings, that and you don't want to get any blasting media or powder on them. Those needle bearings in the swing arm are useless if you remove them (mine fell apart just removing the swing arm). If you decide to go ahead and do it, order the bearings first and wait for them to come in before moving forward, I've been waiting on mine for a few weeks now and am about stopped because I don't have them yet.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #96 on: Nov 04, 2014, 08:20:11 am »
      So judging by the colors, does this mean you are doing a Captain America version?

northendtrooper

• Road Star
      « Reply #97 on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:53:12 pm »
      Or Ironman's Air Force buddy.

woodog

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      « Reply #98 on: Nov 05, 2014, 04:10:23 pm »
      People have called my Bike...Captain America Bike...Superman Bike...Flag Bike....Patriotic Bike....Ammunition Bike.....Bullet Bike....Red White Blue Bike....Military Bike....Mostly kids calls it Captain America a few grown ups....Mostly women...Patriotic Bike.....lol...oh, one more Barbed Wire Bike....
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2014, 04:12:06 pm by woodog »
      Woodog..Patriot Raider...Marine... MGySgt.  Semper Fidelis

northendtrooper

• Road Star
      « Reply #99 on: Nov 05, 2014, 04:16:14 pm »
      I got a new one for ya.....'MURICA BIKE

Petey_08

• Road Star
      « Reply #100 on: Nov 05, 2014, 05:20:18 pm »
      I was really just going for the 'murica theme right now, but might eventually throw in a few Captain references down the road. Right now I'm just ready to get it done, just in time for winter  :-[

Petey_08

• Road Star
      « Reply #101 on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:20:04 pm »
      Made a little progress last week. Got the parts back from the powder coater and installed (less the arse end, just got the new swing arm bearings in and installed today, hopefully will have the back end rebuilt this weekend).

Would have been able to get a little further this past weekend, but I got some free concert tickets through a veterans organization so the wifey and I took some time off to go see and meet O.A.R.

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #102 on: Nov 11, 2014, 09:21:45 pm »
      It's coming together...looking pretty cool.
      The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

Flipper

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Warrior
        • JW Publishing Corp
      « Reply #103 on: Nov 11, 2014, 09:25:06 pm »
      Looks good bro.

Stealth Bike

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #104 on: Nov 12, 2014, 07:11:35 am »
      It's coming together...looking pretty cool.

I agree ... I really like the shifter! 

Can't wait to see it all together.