Author Topic: Fork Extensions Trial  (Read 80349 times)

Tail dragger

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Fork Extensions Trial
« Reply #285 on: Sep 28, 2014, 08:18:11 pm »
Anyone that has installed longer steel braided brake lines, where did you get them from? Pacificcoaststar Wants around $350 and that just seems a little crazy to me. Is it really a problem to just use spacers with the 3" extensions?

If I'm not mistaken, Ares X used an extension on his and they worked fine.  I believe he did a reroute of the lines to give more slack, but not sure.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

SilverStar

• Raider
    « Reply #286 on: Sep 28, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »
    Well boys, I got mine installed.  I'd say the days of peg scraping are over.   ;D  I'm a little surprised at how much it raised the bike.  I can still flat foot it at stops, but just barely.  I've only ridden it about 8 miles and I can't honestly say I see a lot of difference in how it handles, but it seems to put the seat at a more comfortable angle.  I'll know more when I ride it more.  That said, it's easier to handle in the aspect that you can really lean without scraping the pegs, so it's easier to corner faster.  Maybe the chicken strips will go away.

Installation timewise I didn't set any records, but I was only about 2:38 slower than MrT.   ;)  What I would recommend is that you don't start on it outside in the driveway fifteen minutes before dark.  8)  It was a pretty easy process and if I did another one I could probably cut my time in half, even in the dark.  Reused the original O-rings and did one wrap of teflon tape.  No leaks so far.  We'll see.  Now I just hope the Tricky air rides get ordered soon and we'll see if dropping the rear makes any difference.
    "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  -  Isaac Asimov

MODS
    Yami Tall Sissy Bar
    Kury Passenger Swept Wing Pegs and Extensions
    Speedstar Drags
    Avons front and 240 rear
    Mustang 2-piece

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #287 on: Sep 29, 2014, 09:45:34 am »
    Anyone that has installed longer steel braided brake lines, where did you get them from? Pacificcoaststar Wants around $350 and that just seems a little crazy to me. Is it really a problem to just use spacers with the 3" extensions?

If I'm not mistaken, Ares X used an extension on his and they worked fine.  I believe he did a reroute of the lines to give more slack, but not sure.

The reroute was the upper lines that was done by the dealer because of the LA Choppers bars.

I am using a small spacer to extend the lower cables.

• Advertisement

RuneRaider

• 2009 Red Raider S
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #288 on: Sep 29, 2014, 01:49:04 pm »
      Well boys, I got mine installed.  I'd say the days of peg scraping are over.   ;D  I'm a little surprised at how much it raised the bike.  I can still flat foot it at stops, but just barely.  I've only ridden it about 8 miles and I can't honestly say I see a lot of difference in how it handles, but it seems to put the seat at a more comfortable angle.  I'll know more when I ride it more.  That said, it's easier to handle in the aspect that you can really lean without scraping the pegs, so it's easier to corner faster.  Maybe the chicken strips will go away.

Installation timewise I didn't set any records, but I was only about 2:38 slower than MrT.   ;)  What I would recommend is that you don't start on it outside in the driveway fifteen minutes before dark.  8)  It was a pretty easy process and if I did another one I could probably cut my time in half, even in the dark.  Reused the original O-rings and did one wrap of teflon tape.  No leaks so far.  We'll see.  Now I just hope the Tricky air rides get ordered soon and we'll see if dropping the rear makes any difference.

Looking forward to your reports and from others who did the fork extension and air ride.
      Photons by the bag.
      Gravitons no longer shipped outside the US or Canada

Beelze

• Road Star
      « Reply #289 on: Sep 29, 2014, 11:11:38 pm »
      I bought 3 sizes of o-rings to see which ones looked closest to stock.  Fortunately I think the cheap ones look the closest in size.
      From Ace Hardware.
      Haven't installed them to do the leak check.  Figured id do a fork oil change while the front end is apart.  I will let you know how they instal tomorrow!

UPDATE: Installation with these was as expected, I could feel resistance from the O-ring being compressed once it was threaded into the tube.  So I know it's snug.  Rode about 30 miles and was pretty hard on the bumps and front brake, no leaks at all yet.  Teflon tape was not used.  $.80 or so from ace hardware...  Beats $11 at the dealer!

« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2014, 09:34:20 am by Beelze »

ladrox

• SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #290 on: Sep 30, 2014, 07:39:30 am »

The reroute was the upper lines that was done by the dealer because of the LA Choppers bars.

I found 1" chrome spacers at Menards as well as chrome longer bolts. Looks great.
      Allen

I ride a Raider for a reason!

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #291 on: Sep 30, 2014, 07:45:39 am »

Check out www.moto-haven.com. I got my lines for my FZ1 from them-very satisfied. When I swapped the bars, I bought the kit from PCS that had the throttle cables and everything. I'm happy with those too. My FZ1 uses separate lines to each caliper, which make things a loteasier and cleaner.
      Ken
      2010 Raider/2008 FZ1 (sold)

RIP Tail dragger

Pep

• Live as long as you can, but not too long! HEF 04
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #292 on: Oct 01, 2014, 10:26:02 pm »
      My new brake lines will be individual lines to each caliper.

Check out www.moto-haven.com. I got my lines for my FZ1 from them-very satisfied. When I swapped the bars, I bought the kit from PCS that had the throttle cables and everything. I'm happy with those too. My FZ1 uses separate lines to each caliper, which make things a loteasier and cleaner.

SilverStar

• Raider
      « Reply #293 on: Oct 02, 2014, 05:34:41 am »

Looking forward to your reports and from others who did the fork extension and air ride.

As and addendum, now that I have about a hundred miles on it I'd say that it makes the bike less stable at parking lot speeds, and I have to steer into a turn instead of leaning into a turn.  Shouldn't be an issue unless you get stuck in traffic.  It'll wobble a little from a dead stop sometimes.  More effort at low speed, below ten mph. 

On the other hand, on the road, I didn't realize how much I was avoiding peg scraping.  When I did scrape I thought it was cool that I leaned that much, but a lot of times it startled me, too.  Like shooting, the body's natural reaction is to flinch.  So the more you do it the less it affects you.  Now that it never scrapes leaning farther is easy and I don't focus on when it's going to scrape, I focus on the road and my line more.  Which means it's easier to be smoother and faster through curves than it used to be.  I'm still not convinced the bike handles better, and I think it takes a little more muscle, but it's easier overall to ride a little faster.  I might try 2 and 2.5 inches before I decide it's permanent position.  I don't foresee removing the extensions            .
      « Last Edit: Oct 02, 2014, 05:37:31 am by SilverStar »

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

Greco

• 1sg Army Retired 36th ID (19Z)
      • Road Star
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #294 on: Oct 02, 2014, 08:45:59 am »

ttiwwp
      Rick G.

Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association 23-3

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #295 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:21:01 am »

ttiwwp

I've already posted this at least once in this thread, but here it is again...

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #296 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:22:47 am »

As and addendum, now that I have about a hundred miles on it I'd say that it makes the bike less stable at parking lot speeds, and I have to steer into a turn instead of leaning into a turn.  Shouldn't be an issue unless you get stuck in traffic.  It'll wobble a little from a dead stop sometimes.  More effort at low speed, below ten mph. 

On the other hand, on the road, I didn't realize how much I was avoiding peg scraping.  When I did scrape I thought it was cool that I leaned that much, but a lot of times it startled me, too.  Like shooting, the body's natural reaction is to flinch.  So the more you do it the less it affects you.  Now that it never scrapes leaning farther is easy and I don't focus on when it's going to scrape, I focus on the road and my line more.  Which means it's easier to be smoother and faster through curves than it used to be.  I'm still not convinced the bike handles better, and I think it takes a little more muscle, but it's easier overall to ride a little faster.  I might try 2 and 2.5 inches before I decide it's permanent position.  I don't foresee removing the extensions            .

All this talk about not scraping with the fork extensions... So what I'm I doing wrong?  I have 3" extensions and I still scrape.

Beelze

• Road Star
      « Reply #297 on: Oct 02, 2014, 12:06:52 pm »
      Parts are ready for pickup!!!
      I've got a crazy amount of stuff going on this weekend, but I'll try to be speedy about packaging and shipping. Bear with me.  I'll be sending out a PM for those on round 2 concerning payment and shipping stuff.
      For round 2 I have:

Bird Man 2 (4")
      GT Bob (3")
      Flipper (3")
      blcoonrod (3")
      Pudge (3")
      Driven2decay (3")
      Redraider (3")
      DamSam - undecided
      High Pockets - undecided
      Kev's UK Raider S (3")

Let me know if I forgot anyone...
      « Last Edit: Oct 02, 2014, 12:44:17 pm by Beelze »

SilverStar

• Raider
      « Reply #298 on: Oct 02, 2014, 02:03:42 pm »

All this talk about not scraping with the fork extensions... So what I'm I doing wrong?  I have 3" extensions and I still scrape.

Maybe once I get used to the new lean angles I'll push it harder and sctart scraping again. :evil:

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Warrior
      « Reply #299 on: Oct 02, 2014, 05:48:11 pm »
      Parts are ready for pickup!!!
      I've got a crazy amount of stuff going on this weekend, but I'll try to be speedy about packaging and shipping. Bear with me.  I'll be sending out a PM for those on round 2 concerning payment and shipping stuff.
      For round 2 I have:

Bird Man 2 (4")
      GT Bob (3")
      Flipper (3")
      blcoonrod (3")
      Pudge (3")
      Driven2decay (3")
      Redraider (3")
      DamSam - undecided
      High Pockets - undecided
      Kev's UK Raider S (3")

Let me know if I forgot anyone...