Custom Raider

Author Topic: Leaking fuel shutoff valve...  (Read 1493 times)

seventhLetter

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Leaking fuel shutoff valve...
« on: Aug 19, 2010, 09:07:42 AM »
Well, leaking is putting it mildly!  Tank was empty so I could take it off and do the filter recharge and re-route my CCV hose.  I noticed when I was putting everything back together that when I went to re-open the fuel shutoff valves, one of them was very hard to turn.  As I turned it, some little pieces of rubber were coming out with the brass part of the valve.  (seal perhaps?) 

Anyway, all was good, the bike started up fine.  Rode to the closest gas station and filled up.  Went back around to the left side of the bike to mount up and ride off to work when I noticed the WATERFALL of fuel gushing out from everywhere under my seat.  I immediately shut her off, pulled the seat, and sure enough, that valve that gave me trouble was gushing. 

I hurried up and rode her back home and ran into the garage to get a screwdriver and shut it back off.  Whew.  But only after about a gallon of gas had leaked all over the driveway.

My question:  Has anyone here replaced one of these valves?  It looks to me like I'm going to have to have this done at the dealer.  All of the little hose clamps are permanent except that one that you can crimp open/close with your fingers.

UGH.
RoxieRaider, SeventhLetter, G, "hey you", I answer to just about anything.

dejablu110

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Leaking fuel shutoff valve...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »
I had the same problem

seventhLetter

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2010, 09:21:11 AM »
Did you replace it yourself?  Or did you have to take it to the dealer?

I see that the fuel pipe joint retails for about $80...which isn't too bad I suppose, but all of the clamps along the hose are those permanent type, that once I open them, I'm not sure I'd get them crimped back down properly.

The only clamp that can be opened/closed with fingers or pliers is the one right where it connects to the reserve tank.

oops

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »
Take off those permanent clamps and use small hose clamps. They work just fine.
In life you never know what's around the next curve.

seventhLetter

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2010, 10:17:18 AM »
That's all I needed to know.  Thanks brother.  By the way, it was good meeting you and Ann at the Rally.

bamf

• I don't have nothing to say about myself, Thunder.
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2012, 05:18:19 PM »
I had the same problem

Just noticed a puddle under my bike and a terrible gas smell.  At first I thought I f'd up something on my car which I've been doing maintenance on all weekend.  But nope!  It was the bike.  Didn't know others were having this problem, but I pulled the seat to look at the cutoff valves and low and behold, it was leaking like a sieve.  Shut the valves off and the leak stopped, got about a half tank of gas left.  Grr!
The open road! The wind on my face! I'll go from city to city - rrroooew, rroooew, rrrrrooooooooew! Everyone looking at me: "who's that guy?" "He must be tough." Rrooew, rrooew, rrooew, rrrrroooooooew! I'll have my girl on the back seat holding on to my fat belly. Sure, she's missing a few teeth, but she thinks I'm cool.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »
That sucks.  I can't believe you rode her home.  I've never messed with the valves on mine.  I usually just set the tank on a small table next to the bike when its off.  So can you replace just the seal?

I hope you guys are washing that gas out of your under seat area.  damn gas will eat the rubber on connectors and other things under there.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

bamf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »
Luckily it doesn't drip on anything too sensitive.  I was like  :praying: when I went to pull the seat because my power commander is RIGHT behind there.  Poured a little water down there to rinse it off just to make sure, but there isn't much to really damage unless you let it go for a long time.

The hard part now will be finding a part, because I'm not going back to Yamaha to get another factory defective valve.  Maybe I can fix the o-ring or whatevers leaking inside...hmm...
The open road! The wind on my face! I'll go from city to city - rrroooew, rroooew, rrrrrooooooooew! Everyone looking at me: "who's that guy?" "He must be tough." Rrooew, rrooew, rrooew, rrrrroooooooew! I'll have my girl on the back seat holding on to my fat belly. Sure, she's missing a few teeth, but she thinks I'm cool.

Budzo

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2012, 06:11:35 PM »

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2012, 06:40:33 PM »
Replace the valves with one if these:
http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=272

Good find.  Depending on the size I think Dime city cycle sells those.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:20:29 PM »
Take off those permanent clamps and use small hose clamps. They work just fine.
That was going to be my comment.  Just don't overtighten them on the plastic parts. 

bamf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2012, 07:04:26 AM »

Anyone know, off the top of their head, what size we need?

Morax

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »

Anyone know, off the top of their head, what size we need?

umm small?  ;D :rolleyes:

bamf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »
Just got off the phone with Barney's Yamaha, apparently they've got one left they can order, the rest are on backorder.  He said Yamaha was "really proud" of that part they put on that bike, and its bike-specific.  I told him I'm glad they're real proud of their part that fails frequently.  He blamed it on the ethanol.  Hrmph.

A.T.

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »
Just got off the phone with Barney's Yamaha, apparently they've got one left they can order, the rest are on backorder.  He said Yamaha was "really proud" of that part they put on that bike, and its bike-specific.  I told him I'm glad they're real proud of their part that fails frequently.  He blamed it on the ethanol.  Hrmph.

I might have to agree with that assessment...I've had several fuel leak issues on my boat at rubber seal and plastic connections - problems I never had until the prevalence of ethanol. 

Have a read:  http://www.motorcycle-accessories-wiseguy.com/ethanol-motorcycle.html
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2012, 08:29:03 PM by almost_there (A.T.) »