Author Topic: Tread pattern backwards ???  (Read 4412 times)

SLK

• Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Tread pattern backwards ???
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2014, 07:30:10 pm »
After 8 years of use on front tire, we discovered that a rear tire had been mounted on the front and that its tread pattern was reverse of the normal front tire.  I does not seem to have caused any problem as the bike handles just as it should and its tread seems to have lasted longer than normal it looks almost new.  Go figure.  Since it is doing so well my son-in-law decided to leave it on, and we really can't after this time go back to the dealer that installed it wrong and get much back in compensation.  So until it wears out it is there to stay.
SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

cntmras

• Road Star
    « Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:12:45 pm »
    I thought the same with my factory front tire. After a little research I found opinions online that some thought it was so the front tire would get better traction in the corners. I don't know for sure but it kinda makes sense.

Aaron5623

• I have little Raiders running fast in my vains...
    • Road Star
    « Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:34:42 am »
    They are on all brands of Motorcycle tires the same way, and high performance Automotive tires.  :raked:
    Aaron5623-RIDE ON-

• Advertisement

cntmras

• Road Star
      « Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2014, 05:41:47 am »
      They are on all brands of Motorcycle tires the same way, and high performance Automotive tires.  :raked:
      All of the automotive directional tires that I have delt with have the same treat pattern.  For example the tread on all 4 wheels is pointing with the direction of rotation.  All of the motorcycle tires I have delt with always run the front tire in reverse of the rear (for example the front tire points opposite direction of rotation).  Just from my experience though.  Still makes sense to me that it is to deal with cornering forces so that the front can gain extra gripping force.  Might have to call a manufacturer to find out?

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:48:13 am »
      Here is Avon's explanation:

FAQs
      Can I fit a front tyre on the rear and a rear on the front?
      Avon would not normally recommend this fitment. If you do this however, due to the way tyres are manufactured, you should reverse the tyre’s direction of rotation if you fit a front tyre on the rear or a rear tyre on the front of your bike. During tyre manufacture, a length of tread rubber is wrapped around the carcass and joined together with an angled bevel type joint. This joint is orientated so that as the tyre rotates, this joint stays shut. As the rear tyre provides drive and the front tyre provides braking, the joint is made one way for the rear tyre and the opposite way for the front. Fitting incorrect tyres could cause potential MOT/insurance issues and may affect the bikes handling capabilities.

Why does the front tyre appear to be running the wrong way?
      We call this Inverted Front Grooves. We have done a great deal of testing and research on tread patterns and found the front tyre is better run in the opposite direction to the rear. The front tyre has to deal with braking forces and the rear wheel with drive forces, which are basically opposite forces. This may make the front appear to be running the wrong way round but in wet tests, we have found that the footprint is not long enough for water to channel very far through the grooves, it just needs to be expelled sideways quickly. By running the tyre as we do, we significantly reduce irregular tread wear. This means that even when the tyre is half worn, it is still putting down the correct amount of rubber on the road. Tyres run the other way round suffer from stepped and irregular wear which reduces their footprint and effectiveness in the wet quite dramatically.
      If you check out any of the latest sports radial tyres from any of the other main tyre manufacturers, you will see they are all starting to do the same.

Source: http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/faqs

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:03:28 am »
      Avon's explanation is spot on.  This was covered in my Riders training course IIRC.

Kick Logic To The Curb!

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:44:51 am »
      Makes sense to me.  I hadn't even noticed it and without that explination I might have thought the same thing.

Kit Sullivan

• Warrior
      « Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:18:50 pm »
        That is great, technically authentic info directly from a manufacturer. Too often, psuedo-"experts" make what seem like logical conclusions based on intuitive ( but ameturish) logic, and then make claims about an items function. These oft-repeated explanations then "gather steam" and eventually become accepted technical "fact" by many, when the reality is quite different. Many times something becomes so ingrained within the general public's incorrect beliefs about something that when the actual truth is spoken from a lone source, it is shouted down by all the ill- informed know-it-alls.

There are many things like this that come to mind:

1) The "W" in motor oil, say 20W-50 does NOT mean "weight"...no matter what your grampa told you. It means "winter", and designates an oil formulated for use in winter driving conditions.

2) "Cadillac converters" did NOT originate on Cadillacs...and are not even called that! They are "catalytic converters".

3) Not wearing seatbelts is not even close to being "safer" than wearing them...regardless of how many "thrown clear" stories you may have heard.

There are tons more, just can't think of any more at the moment.
      "If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:37:06 pm »
        That is great, technically authentic info directly from a manufacturer. Too often, psuedo-"experts" make what seem like logical conclusions based on intuitive ( but ameturish) logic, and then make claims about an items function. These oft-repeated explanations then "gather steam" and eventually become accepted technical "fact" by many, when the reality is quite different. Many times something becomes so ingrained within the general public's incorrect beliefs about something that when the actual truth is spoken from a lone source, it is shouted down by all the ill- informed know-it-alls.

1) The "W" in motor oil, say 20W-50 does NOT mean "weight"...no matter what your grampa told you. It means "winter", and designates an oil formulated for use in winter driving conditions.

2) "Cadillac converters" did NOT originate on Cadillacs...and are not even called that! They are "catalytic converters".

3) Not wearing seatbelts is not even close to being "safer" than wearing them...regardless of how many "thrown clear" stories you may have heard.

"Cadillac converter"  Hahahahha, thats funny.

Yeah like everyone knows that the "AR" in AR15 stands for "Assault Rifle" everyone knows that...except it's wrong.  It stands for ArmaLite Rifle, the company who first mass produced the Stoner design. No, it wasn't Colt, they bought it from ArmaLite.

OOps!  off topic, sorry.  Kit started it!  O8O

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2014, 04:13:05 pm »
      After nearly 50 yrs of riding the one key element I've learned is your front tire direction should always be pointed in the direction you are traveling.

cntmras

• Road Star
      « Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2014, 05:09:23 pm »
      Here is Avon's explanation:

FAQs
      Can I fit a front tyre on the rear and a rear on the front?
      Avon would not normally recommend this fitment. If you do this however, due to the way tyres are manufactured, you should reverse the tyre’s direction of rotation if you fit a front tyre on the rear or a rear tyre on the front of your bike. During tyre manufacture, a length of tread rubber is wrapped around the carcass and joined together with an angled bevel type joint. This joint is orientated so that as the tyre rotates, this joint stays shut. As the rear tyre provides drive and the front tyre provides braking, the joint is made one way for the rear tyre and the opposite way for the front. Fitting incorrect tyres could cause potential MOT/insurance issues and may affect the bikes handling capabilities.

Why does the front tyre appear to be running the wrong way?
      We call this Inverted Front Grooves. We have done a great deal of testing and research on tread patterns and found the front tyre is better run in the opposite direction to the rear. The front tyre has to deal with braking forces and the rear wheel with drive forces, which are basically opposite forces. This may make the front appear to be running the wrong way round but in wet tests, we have found that the footprint is not long enough for water to channel very far through the grooves, it just needs to be expelled sideways quickly. By running the tyre as we do, we significantly reduce irregular tread wear. This means that even when the tyre is half worn, it is still putting down the correct amount of rubber on the road. Tyres run the other way round suffer from stepped and irregular wear which reduces their footprint and effectiveness in the wet quite dramatically.
      If you check out any of the latest sports radial tyres from any of the other main tyre manufacturers, you will see they are all starting to do the same.

Source: http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/faqs

Great research from a good reliable source.  Now we all know.  Thanks!

113 Jimbo

• TIme flies like wind, fruit flies like pears...
      • V Star
      « Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2014, 07:27:59 pm »
      "This may make the front appear to be running the wrong way round but in wet tests, we have found that the footprint is not long enough for water to channel very far through the grooves, it just needs to be expelled sideways quickly. By running the tyre as we do, we significantly reduce irregular tread wear."

That's it right there, thanks for the info... so the tread pattern on the front doesn't matter as far as water goes, just as long as it squishes it out fast. And as a bonus, for some reason, tread life is increased !!!

Thanks again all yall,
      ttyl, Jim...    (come on spring!)

asicrunner

• Warrior
      « Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:28:01 pm »
      http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Avon_mc_databook.pdf

just in case anyone wants to look at avon Tire Specs.
      Ride long Ride often

]

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:53:14 pm »
      After nearly 50 yrs of riding the one key element I've learned is your front tire direction should always be pointed in the direction you are traveling.
      Great point, same is true of skis, ice skate blades, roller skate wheels, skate boards, cars, trucks, bicycles, tricycles, unicycles, shoes, airplane noses and engines, bows of water craft, water skis, snowboards, wake boards, you nose and eyes, and I am sure many other things. ;D ;D ;D
      SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

ladrox

• SEA-ROAR
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2014, 04:21:08 am »

"Break it in like you ride" caused a few oil burners I would guess.....
      Allen

I ride a Raider for a reason!