Tejas Motorsports

Author Topic: Why did my gas gage all of sudden show empty?  (Read 2340 times)

fake

Re: Why did my gas gage all of sudden show empty?
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2010, 08:17:30 AM »
Another reason, may be what is becoming, a regular censer failyer . The second tank down in the frame has a censer that goes bad. Mine did and there have been a few others on the site that have reported problems with theres. The censer is supposed to work when your down to 1 to 3/4 gal of fuel left. It sends the signal to turn on your fuel light and put your needle at empty. If this censer fails it drops the gauge to empty and will flash the fuel empty light 8 times. Here's whats supposed to be happing. The steel gas tank reads until its empty. It has a hard wired fuel gauge and holds about half of your fuel. When that first tank is empty then the bike calculates fuel mileage and averages the gauge reading based on miles ridden. Sooooo. if the censer is failing..... at about 1/2 a tank of fuel, the gauge starts to jump in and out of 1/2 tank reading... ( because the fuel is sloshing around )   empty.. half full... empty.... half full.. The main tank reads then.......  the failing censer gets the call.. and pukes... get it? 

Got it!
I never saw the low fuel light flash or come on though.

One thing to note, is that I was revving it showing some friends at a house then I shut the bike off.  A few minutes later, it started to pour, so I hauled azz home.  One the way home is when the fuel gauge showed empty.

fake

« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2010, 08:19:16 AM »
Another reason, may be what is becoming, a regular censer failyer . The second tank down in the frame has a censer that goes bad. Mine did and there have been a few others on the site that have reported problems with theres. The censer is supposed to work when your down to 1 to 3/4 gal of fuel left. It sends the signal to turn on your fuel light and put your needle at empty. If this censer fails it drops the gauge to empty and will flash the fuel empty light 8 times. Here's whats supposed to be happing. The steel gas tank reads until its empty. It has a hard wired fuel gauge and holds about half of your fuel. When that first tank is empty then the bike calculates fuel mileage and averages the gauge reading based on miles ridden. Sooooo. if the censer is failing..... at about 1/2 a tank of fuel, the gauge starts to jump in and out of 1/2 tank reading... ( because the fuel is sloshing around )   empty.. half full... empty.... half full.. The main tank reads then.......  the failing censer gets the call.. and pukes... get it? 

fake

« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2010, 08:20:40 AM »
Got it!
I never saw the low fuel light flash or come on though.

One thing to note, is that I was revving it showing some friends at a house then I shut the bike off.  A few minutes later, it started to pour, so I hauled azz home.  One the way home is when the fuel gauge showed empty.

If this happens again, I will get concerned.  I'm not going to lose sleep over this.
I still have 9 months of factory warranty

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 30, 2010, 09:10:05 AM »
Honestly.. this is only the second bike I've ever owned that had a gauge but... no reserve switch to warn you .. ;D I just figger 140 miles between fills.. easy
"Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." - James A. Michener
May your road be smooth yet twisty.
Let your mods turn all heads and torque make you thirsty.
I hope the ride will take you to a place that makes your spirit sing.
And put a smile on your face, for the blessings this day will bring.   Madcow 11

fatboyee

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2010, 09:10:35 PM »
Mine pops up and down when it gets around the quarter tank mark so I just figured "electronics".  I can't get used to that disproportionate gauge anyway so I use the first tripmeter.

Sunny

« Reply #20 on: Aug 31, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »
 My speedometer has done the same exact thing to me at times....stop working for no apparent reason and low and behold, it is all fine and dandy...go figure...

Metric

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:54:14 AM »
I just had my fuel sensor replaced...when the fuel went below 1/2 tank the gauge went to zero and light flashed 8 times. when the bike was running resting on the kick stand the gauge worked properly...when I stood the bike upright the gauge would go to zero and the light would blink 8 times.  sounds like these sensors may start giving us problems
SEMPER FI  " welcome home" combat vets

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 03, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »
Yup.. might become a common thing with our bike. At least its cheep and you can live without it if you had too.
"Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." - James A. Michener
And put a smile on your face, for the blessings this day will bring.   Madcow 11

LostDog

« Reply #23 on: Sep 03, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »
Does the LF light work other than the flashing code?

Metric

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 03, 2010, 10:19:16 AM »
NO..it just keep blinking 8 times stops then blinks 8 more time  over and over.  I've never trusted a fuel gauge on a bike or boat so I don'y count on it but the damn thing keep blinking and bugged me at night.
SEMPER FI  " welcome home" combat vets

Mr. T

• Administrator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 03, 2010, 10:27:12 AM »
NO..it just keep blinking 8 times stops then blinks 8 more time  over and over.  I've never trusted a fuel gauge on a bike or boat so I don'y count on it but the damn thing keep blinking and bugged me at night.

Dude.... just blink your eyes "in time" with the blinking guage, you won't even notice it then.  Problem solved.   :rotfl:

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 03, 2010, 10:28:12 AM »
when my censer failed the low fuel light still worked.. go figger?

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 03, 2010, 12:12:32 PM »
How does the fuel guage and light work?   The top 1/2 is driven by the float in the tank, but the tank is not a cylinder so the gauge is not linear.  The bottom 1/2 tank is driven by a calculation that Assumes a rate of use and that can be very different from reality.  At the Rally, for example, the route to Asheville from Mt Mitchel is all downhill.  I was on E but only put in about 2.7 gallons.

The light is very dependable (by comparison).  It is driven by a thermistor in the reserve tank.  When the gas gets low enough for it to warm up, the light comes on.

cdnraider09

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 03, 2010, 12:13:16 PM »
my bike did that once. and hasn't done it since.

LostDog

« Reply #29 on: Sep 03, 2010, 06:35:42 PM »
If the light works but the gauge doesn't I ain't messin with it because that and the odometer is all I use anyway.