Author Topic: Red is faster, and I have proof :)  (Read 93215 times)

no

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 2
Red is faster, and I have proof :)
« on: Sep 20, 2010, 12:08:33 AM »
I came across this today and found it to be rather entertaining thought I would share and finally put an end to the argument of which color is faster (on a side note I suspect black was just too slow to mention in this particular line of research :) )

When the light bends through the prism can we say that the red goes the fastest? Yes, in most cases. In one particular kind of glass, fopr example, the index of refraction (c/v, where c is the speed of light in vacuum and v is the speed of a particular frequency of light in glass) is 1.514 for red light and 1.54 for blue light, so in this case the red light travels at c/1.51, and the blue light travels at c/1.54, so the red light travels 2% faster than the blue light. Tim Mooney

Reference:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00081.htm

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

EraserX33

• U.S. Airforce Retired
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    Re: Red is faster, and I have proof :)
    « Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2010, 12:15:08 AM »
    It's official then.   ;D

Not that we Red Riders needed any kind of proof of course.   8)
    Darrell
    My carbon footprint is about 3% of Al Gore's, and if you're greener than Gore, you're fkn green enough.

SLK

• Global Moderator
    • Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2010, 01:03:11 AM »
    You have referenced the physics of prismatic effect of glass( or anyother medium than air) on light.  Now what you said seems to make sense except for the fact that you misinterpreted the data.  The data refers not to the fact that red is faster but that it has a shorter wave length.  While we think of light as traveling in a straight line we forget that it also fans out from its source.  Thus we see light traveling from a source is in a circle or in a restricted instance in the shape of a cone, thing sun and flashlight.  Now think vibration such as piano strings.  Piano strings vibrate when they are struck.  That vibration has a wave length the longer the wave length the lower the tone the shorter the wave length the higher the tone.  This is why the bass notes are on thicker longer strings and the saprano notes on shorter thinner strings.  So in the spectrum red is saprano and violet is bass.  All light travels at approximate 186000 miles per seconds linearly.  But at the same time it is traveling side to side in its wave length.  So to figure total speed you have to multiply by the wave lenght factor.  So reds true speed is 186000 miles per sec times 1.514 for 218604 mps.   Blue is 186000 times 1.54 for 286440.  Black is function of the ultraviolet light which goes off the scale at the upper end and infra red goes off the scale at lower end almost to point of being considered -0 if you can fathom that.  Thus we would have to reason that any other color of bike is faster than red and any other color of bike is slower than black.
    « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2010, 01:06:32 AM by SLK »
    SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

• Advertisement

no

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2010, 01:11:05 AM »
      You have referenced the physics of prismatic effect of glass( or anyother medium than air) on light.  Now what you said seems to make sense except for the fact that you misinterpreted the data.  The data refers not to the fact that red is faster but that it has a shorter wave length.  While we think of light as traveling in a straight line we forget that it also fans out from its source.  Thus we see light traveling from a source is in a circle or in a restricted instance in the shape of a cone, thing sun and flashlight.  Now think vibration such as piano strings.  Piano strings vibrate when they are struck.  That vibration has a wave length the longer the wave length the lower the tone the shorter the wave length the higher the tone.  This is why the bass notes are on thicker longer strings and the saprano notes on shorter thinner strings.  So in the spectrum red is saprano and violet is bass.  All light travels at approximate 186000 miles per seconds linearly.  But at the same time it is traveling side to side in its wave length.  So to figure total speed you have to multiply by the wave lenght factor.  So reds true speed is 186000 miles per sec times 1.514 for 218604 mps.   Blue is 186000 times 1.54 for 286440.  Black is function of the ultraviolet light which goes off the scale at the upper end and infra red goes off the scale at lower end almost to point of being considered -0 if you can fathom that.  Thus we would have to reason that any other color of bike is faster than red and any other color of bike is slower than black.

You have a blue bike don't you? :) J/K and well put, to be perfectly honest my understanding of light really doesn't extend very far at all, that being said I just happened across this and had to take a jab at all the other fellow Raider riders :)

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2010, 01:18:54 AM »
      Actually I have BLACK the very fastest. :D ;D  Actually, I use to be in electrical sales and my speciality was light bulbs and understanding the working and effects of light was part of my required knowledge base.  What I find amazing is that people think a lights brightness is based on the wattage rating.  In any given medium of light bulbs that is partially true.  But candlepower and lumens are more important than wattage, and the color spectrum of the bulb is more important for certain work cituation.  Never use a low pressure sodium bulb around a hospital doctors office, or any medical facility for that fact because it will practically make blood invisible to the naked eye.
      SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

mnewfield

• Warrior
      « Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2010, 05:53:09 AM »
      Stop trying to use all of your fancy facts and science stuff. 

Red is fatest...It just is. 

:)

[img]http://www.roadstarraider.com/gallery/320538-290115045145.jpeg[img]

jkskeet

• Warrior
      « Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2010, 06:43:31 AM »
      Stop trying to use all of your fancy facts and science stuff. 

Red is fatest...It just is. 

:)

lol.... :D

Your buddy may not be impressed cuz he thinks a bike has to vibrate you to death and rumble like a worn out washing machine.But the Raider does the job in a more fashionable way. Like a Lexus vs. a Volkswagon

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2010, 07:14:37 AM »
      OH my god.. my head hurts.. I hope theres not gonna be a test at the end of class.
      "Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." - James A. Michener
      May your road be smooth yet twisty.
      Let your mods turn all heads and torque make you thirsty.
      I hope the ride will take you to a place that makes your spirit sing.
      And put a smile on your face, for the blessings this day will bring.   Madcow 11

fake

« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2010, 07:56:06 AM »
      Red just gets pulled over more.

Black/Raven is:
      Sinister
      Stealthy
      best looking
      evil looking

My last bike was red if that tells you anything. :D
      « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2010, 12:51:13 PM by fake »

RangerRick

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2010, 07:59:54 AM »
       :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
      2009 Raider XV19CYS
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

LostDog

« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2010, 08:55:45 AM »
      There's also no doubt about the most powerful.

Let's see how any of the above examples are relevant when compared to a Black Hole! :P

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2010, 09:07:17 AM »
      There's also no doubt about the most powerful.

Let's see how any of the above examples are relevant when compared to a Black Hole! :P

Everybody knows that a black hole sucks... kinda like, well, you know.   :rotfl: :rotfl:

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

LostDog

« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2010, 09:37:30 AM »
      Yes, but if yore not the winner then the winner sucks. :P :P

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2010, 09:51:30 AM »
      Losing?
      What's that?

That's something us red ones know nothing about.   ;D

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Veego

« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
      Threads like this are fun to read. We have the same fun times on the Rune forum...and pretty much the same colors. Candy Black Cherry, double clearcoat black and Illusion blue. It's like here,red is faster. ;D ;D ;D