Ha! This thread isn't it? I suppose I could publish the 544 emails that went back and forth with the vendor.
Ticket says it cleared customs, so it should be on it's way.That should be the tag line for the entire project.
Although you put a LOT of time and effort into this.... GREATLY appreciated.
After more than 2 years and over 74,000 views of this thread, it's great to see 2nd Life getting the thanks he so deserves. Mere mortals would have given up on this a long time ago! Hey 2nd Life, have you considered writing a book?
You know that this thing isn't over yet, right? For example, KPHudson is hasn't received his knives. Went down like this:
1. Packaged knives, printed out address labels, and took to the post office. They told me that I would save money if I did it on-line and used the USPS printed labels.
2. Entered all the data for all the labels onto the USPS site. Then found out that they no longer support the class of mail indicated by the postmaster on the website.
3. Called my wife to scream. She told me to call my daughter, who uses PayPal to do multiple shipments. etc...
4. Entered (almost) all the data for the labels into the PayPal site. Was called away on a phone call. Returned to find the site timed me out and tossed all the data.
5. Screamed some more.
6. Re-entered the data for the labels into the PayPal site, saving each one as I went, paid, printed, and attached to packages.
*** During this step, I put the address of Bird onto the package for KPH. ***
7. Sent out the tracking info to everyone.
8. Received email from KPH telling me that address was wrong. Contacted Bird to let him know it was coming his way.
9. Found the package to KPH in my mailbox two days later. You'll love this. They returned the box because I reused a box that had contained aerosol cans and had a hazmat label. They required that said box be shipped ground. I informed them that the label already specified that it was supposed to go ground. They said the label didn't matter, the box had to be shipped ground. Right.
10. Not a problem, this gave me a chance to change the address. I gave them the box and requested the address change. No additional charge for shipment. Off it went.
11. Checked the tracking and found out the shipment was on its way to... wait for it... Bird. I called the post office. They told me that they had changed the label, but not the database. There was nothing they could do until it arrived in Hudson, WI.
12. The post office in Hudson did turn it around and it is currently on its way to Texas. Here is the current tracking:
April 21, 2017, 3:11 am Arrived at USPS Destination Facility SAINT PAUL, MN 55121
Your item arrived at our SAINT PAUL, MN 55121 destination facility on April 21, 2017 at 3:11 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
April 20, 2017, 7:02 am Arrived at USPS Facility DES MOINES, IA 50395
April 19, 2017, 10:18 am Arrived at USPS Facility MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55443
April 19, 2017, 4:47 am Arrived at Post Office HUDSON, WI 54016
Having lived in the Minneapolis area for many years, I can appreciate that there is a certain friendly disdain for St. Paul, but really? Shipping the mail from Minneapolis to St. Paul by way of Des Moines IA? They share a common border! You can stand in both cities at the same time.