Author Topic: Exhaust Mod! and a few other Mods  (Read 7961 times)

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 7
Re: Exhaust Mod! and a few other Mods
« Reply #30 on: Nov 27, 2015, 12:52:56 am »
There was a recent post saying something like, "... 240 robs some HP and TQ ...".  Any truth to this?

Unless you travel in a straight line all the time, the increased handling of the 240 easily compensates for the 'loss in power'.

Could someone explain this too me?  I just can't see how putting a larger tire on reduces HP and TQ.  It's like saying having a 300 lbs dude on the Raider will have more HP and TQ then that same Raider with a 150 lbs dude on it.  I know it will take longer to move the extra 150 lbs but doesn't the HP and TQ remain the same no matter what rider or tire in this case is aboard?

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

2nd Life

• Doin' Good
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 4
    « Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:26:54 pm »
    There was a recent post saying something like, "... 240 robs some HP and TQ ...".  Any truth to this?

Unless you travel in a straight line all the time, the increased handling of the 240 easily compensates for the 'loss in power'.

Could someone explain this too me?  I just can't see how putting a larger tire on reduces HP and TQ.  It's like saying having a 300 lbs dude on the Raider will have more HP and TQ then that same Raider with a 150 lbs dude on it.  I know it will take longer to move the extra 150 lbs but doesn't the HP and TQ remain the same no matter what rider or tire in this case is aboard?
    Perhaps if it had been said this way, it would make more sense: "a larger and heavier tire (wheel), will deliver less of the bike's torque and horsepower to the road." This would imply that some of the torque and power is leeched off by the tire (wheel). In point of fact, the extra energy needed to get the heavier tire (wheel) rotating would allow the bike to coast along for a longer distance. But more likely, the extra energy diverted to and stored in the rotating tire (wheel) will end up getting lost through the brakes.

This, of course, is such a small part of the overall optimization of tread, tire material, etc, etc. Want a different design point? Get a crotch rocket. ;D

(not a mid-life crisis; just a better life :- )

wrongwaycrash

• Dallas Fort Worth
    • V Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #32 on: Oct 31, 2016, 06:23:30 pm »
    Will the 240 fit with no modifications required?

The 240 will fit with no modifications needed at all.

turns out it already had the 240. just replaced it thanks to mr murphy's cousin, mr nail.