Author Topic: Gas cap question.  (Read 7780 times)

Motorider

• Raider SCL
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Gas cap question.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 2015, 09:06:46 am »
Helmet stays on unless I go inside.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

BK

• 2009 Raven Raider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Warrior
    • Referrals: 2
    « Reply #16 on: Apr 18, 2015, 09:25:38 am »
    I set it on top of the pump with my keys still in it.
    Same here on top of pump with key in it

+2 on that.

BK

• 2009 Raven Raider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Warrior
    « Reply #17 on: Apr 18, 2015, 09:29:35 am »
    Put it on the seat.........tried putting between the lever and grip but didn't like that cause I know my luck - I'd reach for it and knock it off.
    Here's another question - When you get gas - Do you leave your helmet on or take it off? - If I'm going in the station I take it off - If I'm just filling and leaving I leave it on.

I have a quick release strap on my half helmet so I usually take mine off when pumping just to get some air on my noggin.

• Advertisement

brokenbutcher

• ride like others are drunk and you are invisble
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #18 on: Apr 18, 2015, 09:33:05 am »
      I fill my tank while sitting on the bike so it is level.. The cap for me goes on top of the pump... I fill it, let the gas settle in and lower and do that again and again. adds like 20 more miles. ;)

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #19 on: Apr 18, 2015, 09:55:49 am »
      I fill my tank while sitting on the bike so it is level.. The cap for me goes on top of the pump... I fill it, let the gas settle in and lower and do that again and again. adds like 20 more miles. ;)
      You can actually get more gas in the tank if it is on the stand - while on the stand the fill hole is centered on the bike - making it the highest point of the tank - allowing more gas to fill the left side of the tank.

Tail dragger

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2015, 10:16:09 am »
      When I pull up to the pump (pump on the right).  I turn the bars to the left, remove gas cap and place between grip and front brake lever with key side up (perfect fit).  I fill to the bottom of the filler neck unless I'm on the road and want as much mileage of that tank as possible (we are sometimes a long way from the next station up here) and then I fill, let it reduce and fill again until I get it to where I think I need to stop.  Always having paper towels handy in case.  I've gotten 165 miles out of a tank of gas doing this without the fuel light coming on.  If I'm riding around, it's too much trouble and I just fill up to the neck filler tube and refuel when I am between 100 and 120 miles.  I generally don't wear a helmet, but if I'm on the road I remove it when I gas up.  Sort of a refresher for my head as well. 

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
      « Reply #21 on: Apr 18, 2015, 07:45:05 pm »
      You can actually get more gas in the tank if it is on the stand - while on the stand the fill hole is centered on the bike - making it the highest point of the tank - allowing more gas to fill the left side of the tank.

No offense but afterwards where does the "extra" gas go when the bike is upright like normal???

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2015, 08:09:10 pm »

No offense but afterwards where does the "extra" gas go when the bike is upright like normal???
      I said you can get more gas in the tank with the bike on the stand - not "extra" versus keeping the bike upright.
      Unlike the Stryker the Raider fill hole is on the right side of the tank - so when fueling a Stryker it would probably be best to keep the bike upright to be able to get the most fuel in it.

asicrunner

• Warrior
      « Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2015, 12:12:43 am »
      Rarely ever get off ...pull up put the stand down put the cap with key on the grown, fill, boom gone.
      Ride long Ride often

]

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #24 on: Apr 19, 2015, 01:28:02 am »
      My helmet stays on unless I go in, then depending on the type of store I may just race the full face or take it completely off.
      SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

gusracoon

• V Star
      « Reply #25 on: Apr 19, 2015, 06:14:35 pm »
      I lay the cap on the ground.I used to put the cap with key in on top of pump not any more since it fell off one time and bent the key.

Pastor Jay

• Road Star
      « Reply #26 on: Apr 19, 2015, 06:25:15 pm »
      I always set in on top of the gas pump. I used to fill my VTX while straddling it so it would be upright the fill hole being in the middle. I did that the first time I filled my Raider. I noticed a couple miles down the road I was 3/4 of a tank. Chrominator set me straight pointing out that the fill hole on this bike is on the right side of the tank so as I had the bike upright I was not getting a full tank. To get the most miles out of a tank it is best to have it on the kick stand.
      The most important step in your life is the one you are taking right now.

SilverStar

• Raider
      « Reply #27 on: Apr 19, 2015, 07:54:10 pm »

Ditto. But the only key on the ring is the bike key.  Doing it that way you can't leave without the cap.
      "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  -  Isaac Asimov

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Kury Passenger Swept Wing Pegs and Extensions
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

Luke

• 2011 Raider - Roll on!
      • Warrior
      « Reply #28 on: Apr 19, 2015, 08:54:28 pm »
      That is what i do.  Never had problems.  Some times top of pump is little dirty but just wipe the cap off. 

Luke

• 2011 Raider - Roll on!
      • Warrior
      « Reply #29 on: Apr 19, 2015, 08:59:11 pm »

That was funny Sh$$. I do not car who you are.  Not sure if you meant to be, but that was good.