Custom Raider

Author Topic: What I haved Learned About Installing Autotune on V&H 2-1 Pipes  (Read 1073 times)

Raven

1. You will not be able to use the stock O2 sensor location. If you try, the Bosch wideband 02 sensor will hit the crankcase and prevent you from bolting up the pipes. Purchase a bolt with 10mm threads and plug the stock sensor.

2. You will have to cut the Dynojet provided bung in half.

3. You will have to drill a 5/8" hole 1" to 1 1/4" from the stock sensor location. A stepped drill works great for this.

4. You must drill the hole 1" to 1 1/8" from the stock sensor to hit the sweet spot between end of the crankcase and the swing-arm bracket. However should you drill 1 1/4" from sensor the Bosch sensor will hit the bracket bolted to the right side rider peg.

5. Have the cut bung welded to the pipe. Install sensor and then bolt up pipes.

6. Do NOT use the yellow wire that you think might be to the brake lights as power. The LED lights do not draw 12v. This was verified by the tech at Dynojet. If you do, the Autotune will flash a red light for longer than the required 30 - 60 seconds to warm up.
Use the posi-tap provided and tap into the red power wire from the white two pin connector with the black and brown wires that you plugged the PCV into. Or any other 12v source. Voltmeter would be very handy at this point.

7. Verify solid red light on Autotune after it has warmed up, about 30 seconds and a solid green light in the PCV.

Viola, you are finished!

Edit to add: Happy Thanksgiving!!
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2010, 06:37:16 AM by Raven »

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: What I haved Learned About Installing Autotune on V&H 2-1 Pipes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread but is this true? This would be a major pain in the ass to install. Anyone else install the Autotune on a V&H 2-1?

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »
I think he is talking about the Power commander auto tune . I think cobra auto tune will bolt right up. I may be mistakin though.
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider and SEA-ROAR member
  • Global Moderator
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2012, 07:51:59 PM »
If you have to do all that, you will be the first that I've heared of.  You do need to install the new bung for the wide-band sensor and you need to be careful how you do it.  That is true for any pipe, not just the V&H.  I think a search of the forum will reveal that it will work just fine.  Somebody with these pipes and the autotune can confirm that.  If you want to have the versatility ot the Autotune, it is worth the effort.  If not, get the new Cobra unit. 

There is at least one place where his Tech is WRONG.  The brake LEDs use 12volts.  The reason you don't want to use the yellow wire is because that's the power supply to the brake lights and the 12 V aren't there unless you have the brakes on. 

You probably don't want to use the red wire either because it is always on.  Assuming the PCV is wired correctly (and that may not be the case)  it is connected to the accessory outlet under the seat.  That brown wire is switched on with the ignition.  Just connect the Autotune to the same place. 
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2012, 07:56:12 PM by TRaider_John »

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
If you have to do all that, you will be the first that I've heared of.  You do need to install the new bung for the wide-band sensor and you need to be careful how you do it.  That is true for any pipe, not just the V&H.  I think a search of the forum will reveal that it will work just fine.  Somebody with these pipes and the autotune can confirm that.  If you want to have the versatility ot the Autotune, it is worth the effort.  If not, get the new Cobra unit. 

there is at least one plave where his Tech is WRONG.  The brake LEDs use 12volts.  The reason you don't want to use the yellow wire is because that's the power supply to the brake lights and the 12 V aren't there unless you have the brakes on. 

You probably don't want to use the red wire either because it is always on.  Assuming the PCV is wired correctly (and that may not be the case)  it is connected to the accessory outlet under the seat.  That brown wire is switched on with the ignition.  Just connect the Autotune to the same place.

I really wish some with the 2-1 and Autotune would chime in. I'm ready to buy but not real willing to pay someone to drill a new hole and weld the bung on. If you really need to do this, the folks at Dynojet are idiots. Isn't there a smaller widebank o2 sensor that can be substituted?

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »
I think he is talking about the Power commander auto tune . I think cobra auto tune will bolt right up. I may be mistakin though.

Yes. I have a PCV on my bike.

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »

there is at least one plave where his Tech is WRONG.  The brake LEDs use 12volts.  The reason you don't want to use the yellow wire is because that's the power supply to the brake lights and the 12 V aren't there unless you have the brakes on. 

I really wish some with the 2-1 and Autotune would chime in. I'm ready to buy but not real willing to pay someone to drill a new hole and weld the bung on. If you really need to do this, the folks at Dynojet are idiots. Isn't there a smaller widebank o2 sensor that can be substituted?
Monday you will prob get more responses. I know Ares X and a few more i dont see on on the weekends.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2012, 09:09:49 PM »
Just curious...you guys know that you don't need a fuel mgnt system for this pipe without bak right?  Several of the guys on the forum have ridden for years with this pipe (no BAK) and no fuel management system with no problems.  THey even had their AFR tested and the stock system could handle it.
Kick Logic To The Curb!

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
What about the V&H 2n2 ? Anyone done that yet ?

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2012, 06:57:11 AM »
He is correct-if you are going to use the autotune you will have to weld a new bung in.

2014 West Central Raider Rally
Check out the website for more information.
http://westcentralraiderrally.com

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:03:02 AM »
He is correct-if you are going to use the autotune you will have to weld a new bung in.

In a different place or where the one is now? If new, how do you plug the old one? Thanks

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »
Yes it will have to be a little farther back and I just plugged the existing bung with a set screw.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:29:28 AM »
Yes it will have to be a little farther back and I just plugged the existing bung with a set screw.

Back as in towards the rear of the bike? Any way you can snap a pic looking down at the location so I can see old and new? Thanks

Scoob

• 2012 ROM Winner
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:33:28 AM »
Towards the rear of the bike is correct and I will see what I can do on the pic but I have my pipes off right now.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2012, 07:36:43 AM by Scoob »

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2012, 10:30:08 AM »
Mine is already at the rear. I don't think I have any room.