Author Topic: Fuel Tank Vent Hose  (Read 1412 times)

BuxStar

• SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Fuel Tank Vent Hose
« on: Jul 04, 2015, 10:42:14 am »
I Finally removed the CA emissions canister.  I know I am to plug one of the hoses, and leave the Fuel Tank Vent hose open.   
Which one is the vent hose?  Both look like they go up to the tank.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    Re: Fuel Tank Vent Hose
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2015, 01:08:28 pm »
    If you suck on one of them and get a mouth full of gas I'd say that's the one that goes to the tank....................Ok I have no idea never had my tank off or even messed with it....somebody will chime in.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
    • SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2015, 01:09:48 pm »
    You should be able to follow which one goes to the tank.  Worse case scenario, if you can't follow it from there unbolt the tank and lift it.  That should tell you which one is connected to it.

• Advertisement

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2015, 03:06:39 pm »
      One goes to the tank vent, the other goes to the intake.  I'm not sure you need to plug either, but if you do it would be the one to the intake.  I can't tell which is which.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2015, 03:32:50 pm »
      take the gas tank cap off and blow in the end of the lines... if you have the one for the tank you should hear some air coming from inside the tank!
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

RedLineRick

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2015, 10:01:32 pm »
      1 is your tank vent. Most of 2 can be taken off and gotten rid of.

RedRaider

• Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2015, 07:19:27 am »
      I had a Cali edition too and first thing I did was get rid of the canister. #1 is your vent. I cut the vent line and then connected it to some black powder-coated steel brake line and ran it down the front of the frame...don't even know it's there.

#2 goes to the intake..should be plugged. That is vacuum to the intake which was used to purge fumes from the canister back into the motor.

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2015, 04:50:40 pm »
      I had a Cali edition too and first thing I did was get rid of the canister. #1 is your vent. I cut the vent line and then connected it to some black powder-coated steel brake line and ran it down the front of the frame...don't even know it's there.

#2 goes to the intake..should be plugged. That is vacuum to the intake which was used to purge fumes from the canister back into the motor.
      That's my point.  Since there is normally air flow thru#2 anyway, I don't think you must plug it.  No harm either way.  Right?

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2015, 05:15:51 pm »

That's my point.  Since there is normally air flow thru#2 anyway, I don't think you must plug it.  No harm either way.  Right?

if you don't plug it there will be a vacuum leak into the intake bro 

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jul 05, 2015, 08:45:52 pm »

if you don't plug it there will be a vacuum leak into the intake bro
      I understand that it will suck air, but it normally does.  Why would that be a leak?
      Help me learn something here:  Where does it connect? The air box?  That's where most vents connect.  If that's it, then a small amount of air will bypass the air filter.  That's not a big deal. 

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2015, 09:15:49 pm »
      have not pulled mine apart yet bro, so not sure on the raider if the vent house is connected prior or after the air filter on the plenum , if its connected before the air filter , no worries .. if its connected after the filter you will pull dirt and debris into the motor if not plugged ... hopefully someone will know 100% so we both we know !   :D

RedLineRick

• SEA-ROAR MEMBER
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #11 on: Jul 05, 2015, 11:06:58 pm »
      Let's see if this works. Here's the hose routing diagram.

aaron5140

• Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2015, 08:20:04 am »

This is correct. You can get rid of all of it except the single hose that runs back to the tank.

BuxStar

• SEA-ROAR
      • Road Star
      « Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2015, 09:05:51 am »
      I took ZX Dave's advice and took the fuel cap off and blew into the lines, (after I made sure no one was watching) The # 1 hose, I could hardly get any air in it, and what little air did go in, nothing from the tank.  The #2 hose, lots of air went in the tank - I put my hand over the fuel opening and could feel the pressure, took hand off, and air came out. Is there a possibility that the factory may have hooked these up "backwards" under the tank?  Hate to take the tank off just to find out. 

BuxStar

• SEA-ROAR
      • Road Star
      « Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2015, 09:26:04 am »
      I had also capped off #2 hose, and took the cap back off about a half hour later .. gas dripped out. Not much, but a few drops.