Author Topic: Raider Cleaning and Polishing  (Read 3323 times)

Armour

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Raider Cleaning and Polishing
« on: Aug 03, 2015, 05:50:10 pm »
I have a Raider S and was just curious to any tricks or products that people use on the bike to clean or polish.

For instance the wheels. My back wheel when I hose it off you can see the black dust wash off of it. Anyone have any product they recommend to help with cleaning it? Does anyone wax the wheels?

I am looking for ideas on cleaning anything on the bike. Such as does anyone have any cleaning brushes or anything they recommend for use on it? Maybe something that cleans the fins on the motor well in the hard to reach areas?

Any ideas on products recommended to brushes or rags. Waxes? Chrome polish? Seat cleaning? Soap? Anything you can think of that may help me or others would be appreciated.

Another thing would be recommended products for quick\detail cleanup for when you don't have time to clean the whole bike.

Thanks
Armour

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

wfm113

• Road Star
    Re: Raider Cleaning and Polishing
    « Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2015, 06:17:53 pm »
    Pledge, works great for detail and quick clean up. I have used this for the last two bikes I had cheaper and works just as well as detail products.

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2015, 07:39:35 pm »
    I add Jet Dry to my wash solution to help with water spots and use a compressor to blow out all excess water.

• Advertisement

bosfan

• Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2015, 07:56:10 pm »
      I use Grouts Garage Speed shine. It's a detailing spray that really brings out a great shine. Just spray on and wipe clean with microfiber cloth.
      Leather lotion for the seat keeps it healthy and looking sharp.

CBird

• Roadliner
      « Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2015, 08:28:14 pm »
      I agree with Ares, you want to use compressed air or a leaf blower to get the water out of your hex bolts so it doesn't rust the bolt head. Also speeds up the process 10 fold.

As far as detail spray, I like Plexus or Honda also makes a good detail spray, and "Eagle One - Never Dull" for chrome.

As far as rags, use only good quality micro fiber and if you drop one on the ground put it in the dirty pile and grab a fresh one. Wash them all together on hot and put them in a grocery bag and tie it up until your ready to use them. This will ensure less swirl marks and scratches..
      « Last Edit: Aug 03, 2015, 08:34:38 pm by CBird »

IMReido

• Road Star
      « Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2015, 08:32:32 pm »
      if I'm just going to knock the dust off before or after a ride, Swiffer Duster works great. (after it has cooled down)

Elenore12Raider

• V Star
      « Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2015, 08:50:21 pm »
      ok we are talking detailing our raiders. what do you all us to clean the front cylinder fins from all the road crap that gets kicked up on it. any special brush or tool to help make it easier since room is alittle tight.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2015, 11:24:30 pm »
      To help cut back on brake dust on the wheels get a set of Sintered brake pads , they will perform way better then oem pads and produce less brake dust which is a plus !!

here is the part numbers for Galfer sintered pads :

front- FD178G1370 HH Sintered Compound
      rear-  FD295G1371 HH Sintered Compound
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

CBird

• Roadliner
      « Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2015, 08:31:29 am »
      ok we are talking detailing our raiders. what do you all us to clean the front cylinder fins from all the road crap that gets kicked up on it. any special brush or tool to help make it easier since room is alittle tight.

I use a low and mean fender, its worth the money not to have dirt kick up on the frame and cylinder..

I would think a soft brush dipped in the wash bucket would take care of this..

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2015, 09:15:51 am »

I use a low and mean fender, its worth the money not to have dirt kick up on the frame and cylinder..

I would think a soft brush dipped in the wash bucket would take care of this..

I was wondering about that as I don't have a lot of gunk in the fins. The only real problem I have with them is water spots, but I just make sure to wipe them down well after washing and they're fine.

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2015, 09:18:17 am »
      My name is Dreadly and I have a cleaning problem. I wash it once a week at the car wash. Then wipe it down before and after riding.

Armour

• V Star
      « Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2015, 08:13:25 pm »
      Dreadly I am the same way. I wash my bike at least once or twice a week. All the more the reason I am looking for ideas that other people use to make the job not only faster but more efficient. Not that I mind washing it because I don't but I like riding it more.

ZX Dave I will for sure be looking in to the brake pads that you recommended.

Cbird I am using a leaf blower to dry my bike. That helps a lot for sure. I also use the Never dull for the chrome. I was also curious if anyone has found anything they like better than Never Dull.

Ares I have not tried the Jet dry. I use Mequiars wash right now. Would it help to add it to this soap? I was thinking it already has something that helps with the water spots. If not or if this makes it better I am all about trying it.

Any ideas on the wheels or does everyone just use soap and water? Anyone wax the wheels? I swear I read somewhere on here that someone did, but I couldn't find it. Would it help or make the wheels shinier?

I will be going to Indianapolis for bikes on Meridian this weekend before the Motogp and will be cleaning the bike up for this. Although I am always cleaning the bike it seems! Ha! Just thought if I got some different ideas that I would try them.

bosfan

• Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2015, 08:28:49 pm »
      You really don't need to wax the wheels unless they are chrome. You can if you want to, but with the Raider wheels, all you really need is soap and water, maybe add some dish soap as it has a degreaser in it.
      All I use is the detailing spray and it makes them look really good. I'm not sure how much shine you'll get out of the Raider wheels with the wax. At most, you'll get some good protection from the elements.
      As for a good brush, try a boars hair brush for the wheels. It's gentle enough not to scratch but gives enough pressure for a good cleaning.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2015, 10:10:23 pm »
      Dreadly I am the same way. I wash my bike at least once or twice a week. All the more the reason I am looking for ideas that other people use to make the job not only faster but more efficient. Not that I mind washing it because I don't but I like riding it more.

ZX Dave I will for sure be looking in to the brake pads that you recommended.

Cbird I am using a leaf blower to dry my bike. That helps a lot for sure. I also use the Never dull for the chrome. I was also curious if anyone has found anything they like better than Never Dull.

Ares I have not tried the Jet dry. I use Mequiars wash right now. Would it help to add it to this soap? I was thinking it already has something that helps with the water spots. If not or if this makes it better I am all about trying it.

Any ideas on the wheels or does everyone just use soap and water? Anyone wax the wheels? I swear I read somewhere on here that someone did, but I couldn't find it. Would it help or make the wheels shinier?

I will be going to Indianapolis for bikes on Meridian this weekend before the Motogp and will be cleaning the bike up for this. Although I am always cleaning the bike it seems! Ha! Just thought if I got some different ideas that I would try them.

For the chrome on the bike, a coat of car wax now in then is a good thing ! Not gonna make it shine more but it will protect it from the elements and make cleaning bugs and such off easier !!

same for the wheels , stock wheels or chrome , wax will help protect them and puts a protective barrier from brake dust and makes getting them clean easier also !
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

heehaw

• Roadliner
      « Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2015, 11:11:46 pm »
      S100 cleaner works great!