Author Topic: Avon pegs, HD vs. metrics?  (Read 1749 times)

MrGood

• DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
Avon pegs, HD vs. metrics?
« on: Aug 04, 2015, 07:47:30 am »
This might be a stupid question but the Avon pegs are only listed for HDs and I don't see any adapter info anywhere or anything so what's the difference? The mounting hole diameter?  I've never replaced them and haven't searched how just yet but it seems pretty straight forward, might need a new spring maybe but I wouldn't think so.  Anyone else encountered a similar instance?  Thanks
Shiny side up

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Mr. T

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 4
    Re: Avon pegs, HD vs. metrics?
    « Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2015, 08:01:14 am »

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

MrGood

• Warrior
    « Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2015, 08:15:51 am »
    Ah ha!  Looks like Kury adapters it is then, I wonder if other standard to metric adapters would work?  This is going to force me to have a Kury product on the sled which I wanted to avoid but if it's for a good cause and all...... ;D
    Shiny side up

• Advertisement

MrGood

• Warrior
      « Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2015, 08:23:45 am »
      Fixed.  Kuryakyn #8802.  Happy shopping!
      « Last Edit: Aug 04, 2015, 09:31:22 am by MrGood »
      Shiny side up

MrGood

• Warrior
      « Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2015, 10:33:52 am »
      How do I remove the shift/brake levers?

I don't plan to use the SMT pegs listed so can I reuse the stock (stock sized) bolts to bolt the peg up to the adapter?  The pegs I plan to use are studded, guessing with a 5/16 thread, so I need to countersink the levers or tap them, bolting them through from the back isn't an option.
      Shiny side up

MrGood

• Warrior
      « Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2015, 02:14:06 pm »
      I'm planning to cut the old pegs off and then drill out the rivet and tap it if it stays on the lever itself.  If if comes out, I will have to get some countersunk bolt heads from Fastenal and use those from the motor side, then screw them back in from the outer peg side.  I do NOT plan on removing the levers themselves for a few reasons.  One last thing; the pegs will no longer have a spring-loaded mechanism once I use the Kury mounts correct? 
      Shiny side up

poolfenatic

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2015, 02:25:59 pm »
      The break and shift levers are a bit of a pain. They are pressed together or something. I took a sawzaw and cut them flush then drilled the center out. I leaves you with a big hole but nothing that can't be dealt with. I found some aftermarket pegs. drilled and tapped to 12mm bolt size then used button head socketcap screws to thru bolt then. been on there for two years now. oh and loctited the crap out of them too.

MrGood

• Warrior
      « Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2015, 06:58:31 pm »
      Nice to hear, thanks buddy.
      Shiny side up

MrGood

• Warrior
      « Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2015, 07:34:32 pm »
      So I got my Avon pegs on but you don't use the Kury 8802 adapters at all.  I had to use a spacer and washers to get the footpeg in the fork of the footpeg bracket right, then a washer on top with the bolt from the top, and a washer and lock washer on bottom.  The spring is not on any longer since the fitment isn't the same, so while they're bolted on tight, they push forward slightly.  The flat spot inside the peg fork is about 3/4"x1", and I've got about an 1/8-3/16" gap.  I'm thinking either black, thick felt, or sacrifice a welcome mat piece to get the right thickness and act as a stop for the peg moving forward.  Anyone else have any ideas?

Edit:  I'll provide pics in the morning.  Ran out of daylight and had to jump to my next job once its dark.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015, 09:25:18 pm by MrGood »
      Shiny side up

MrGood

• Warrior
      « Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2015, 07:21:28 am »
      Ok this should clarify things.  I found some adapters that are fork to fork like the stock pegs to the stock bracket but I'm waiting on an email back for measurements, they might be the exact same and not work.  You can see the issue here and the daylight gap that lets the peg fall forward too much, hence the need for a stop inside there.
      Shiny side up

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2015, 10:45:40 am »
      I had that same issue with some HD Spike foot pegs I had on my first Raider. I just took a thick, black washer and a little JB Weld and used it as a spacer. It worked perfectly.

MrGood

• Warrior
      « Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2015, 10:53:53 am »
      Inside the fork area or where the bolt comes through?  The problem looks like the Avon peg doesn't have enough meat on it to rest flush inside the fork area so it stops eventually, just after the peg itself moves past 90* forward.  I''m thinking about getting a piece of rubber and cutting it to match that little area and then gorilla glue it inside that area, so it'll act as a ideal bumpstop of sorts in theory.  Just gotta source that!
      Shiny side up

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2015, 11:35:29 am »
      Inside the fork area or where the bolt comes through?  The problem looks like the Avon peg doesn't have enough meat on it to rest flush inside the fork area so it stops eventually, just after the peg itself moves past 90* forward.  I''m thinking about getting a piece of rubber and cutting it to match that little area and then gorilla glue it inside that area, so it'll act as a ideal bumpstop of sorts in theory.  Just gotta source that!

That's pretty much what I did with the washer.

MrGood

• Warrior
      « Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2015, 11:13:05 am »
      Well Ares X, I gotta thank you.  The washer(s) option was the best and only route.  JB Weld solved the problem and they're solid now.  Just need testing out tomorrow morning and I should be good to go ;)  3 3/8 SS washers did the trick.  Issue with others and a spacer I found was the thickness, other washers was the diameter if the washers themselves.  It's certainly a trial n error game!
      Shiny side up