Raider parts and accessories

Author Topic: Threads on Nuts/Bolts/Spark plugs  (Read 8075 times)

Rajder

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Threads on Nuts/Bolts/Spark plugs
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2011, 04:00:54 PM »
Whats PB?

PB is most likely short for "PB Blaster".  It is a penetrating lubricant that works great for breaking loose old rusted bolts, etc.  It's not as easy to find as WD-40 but alot of old time mechanics swear by it.  I think it works better than WD.

Fn Up

• Roadliner
    • View Profile
2011 Raider - Reddish Copper

RangerRick

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
2009 Raider XV19CYS
ANG Member 25 years
Retired Aug. 1, 2010

wyldfyre

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »
When backing out a bolt that seems to keep tightening try a good shot of PB. Then do the "start to loosen then tighten then loosen and tighten. trying to back  it out a little more each time" as stated by RangerRick. This has saved my a$$ several times.  ;D

Tell me about it, Just changing the oil on my baby and getting it ready for this season. I thought I was going backward more than forward. My advise..... go slow and feel your way.  :D
Dance like no one is watching, Sing like no one is listening, Love like you've never been hurt before and Live like heaven begins tomorrow.

PJ

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Central FL Home Inspections
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2011, 12:09:44 AM »
PB = Peanut Butter

Both of my rear fender's rear strut bolts are stripped out. Next time I have to remove them, I will have to redrill and rethread them. Wish I knew about the peanut butter trick before hand. And all this time I've just been eating it with jelly on bread. Geeeze! >:(

Blake09RaiderS

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 08:29:22 AM »
On my last bike I had several screws that were so tight that I had to use an EZ-Out to remove them.  I also had a couple of nuts that were cross-threaded so I was glad to have a decent tap-and-die set around to repair the threads.  And the bike came that way from the factory so lesson learned is to always be careful when removing nuts and bolts - even if the bike is brand new. 

PS.  I use PB Blaster as well and it works!

busterjay

• BA Bandit
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 07, 2011, 01:40:40 PM »
Whats PB?

PB is most likely short for "PB Blaster".  It is a penetrating lubricant that works great for breaking loose old rusted bolts, etc.  It's not as easy to find as WD-40 but alot of old time mechanics swear by it.  I think it works better than WD.

Damn, Now how am I gonna get all that peanut butter off my bike??!! Time to go get a piece of bread to wipe it off!! :)
Thanks,

Buster-Jay

Brite Raider

• DIY air cleaner
  • V Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 22, 2011, 08:54:06 AM »
Hi all
I would like to add to this thread and maybe some of u might have some ideas what coud have happened.
I purchase a kuryakyn license plate frame which is a very nice peace.
 After getting my plate mess straightened out I got my Rayder plate(in my gallery) so needed to replace
The temp, there was 4 ss bolts standing between me and this job, easy enoungh right?
Wrong, the four bolts are a allen head and ss chrome with ss locking nuts, when I started backing them off they were tough
So apon closer inspection I can see little burred spots on the bolt threads in frt of the nuts :o no way to repair this so off came the nuts as is :P replaced the plate, tried to reinstalled the bolts and nuts(not a good idea) ss is brittle u guessed it "SNAP" they both broke off. :'( my local ace had the chrome replacments ;D but how would these have gotten burred in the first place?
Rocks?
Ride that Raider like ur mad @ it, clean it, pet it repeat

Brad de Leon

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2011, 07:39:29 AM »
Having sailed for many years, I have realized that stainless steel comes in many different grades and does not play well with other metals.  Anti seize is essential all of the time. Dry ss will micro weld when it binds in the least bit.  Those were the burrs you observed, from high speed machine assembly of dry threads, you were doomed from the factory.  When backing out ss for the first time use penetrating fluid and use anti seize when reassembling. Stainless steel into aluminum is the worst, electrolysis will cause it to seize on its own with moisture and time.  Also forget torquing to spec when using any lubricant on threads as specs are for dry thread. 
Always a good idea to randomly check tightness of bolts, especially those that have been disassembled in the past.  The Harley effect.

RAIDERCRUZ

• I enjoy adventure, travel, MOTO GP,Tennessee VOLS
  • SEA-ROAR
  • Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 12:14:29 AM »
 So TRUE  Ranger Rick .  A screwed up a Dodge Dakota once a few years back.
 First  I pulled the boots off 3 or 4 of the spark plug wires and then used an
 angle socket wrench to install the plugs and ended up having to drive the
 truck mis firing as hell and had to buy a new set of wires 2 additional plugs
 and had to pay for re tapping engine block.  Whew was that dumb or what.

Raidercruz
proud to be a  "SEAROAR " member
Local Club  " THE  STRAYS "   motorcycle club
                 Stone  Mountain  Georgia

michael t

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • bersachat.com
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2012, 11:38:28 PM »
I dislike these button head . I just had a 2nd one round out . This time was one you need to remove to get that plate off to get to front tank bolts.  Its  was soft as soon as I started turning  it gave way . (Yes I was using the right size) . This is the 2nd one .  Iam going to replace some of these with a proper bolt .  >:(  The larger ones like fender are fine its the small ones. 
[

Been there, Done it . Have License. Plate to prove it

” The Blood of AMERICAN HEROES is on Obama’s Hands…Remember Benghazi !! “

Sweet Tooth

• Raider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2012, 09:59:28 PM »
I dislike these button head . I just had a 2nd one round out . This time was one you need to remove to get that plate off to get to front tank bolts.  Its  was soft as soon as I started turning  it gave way . (Yes I was using the right size) . This is the 2nd one .  Iam going to replace some of these with a proper bolt .  >:(  The larger ones like fender are fine its the small ones. 
I have taken off that plate about 6 times this past week . I too hate the little bolts. I will be puttin a stronger bolt instead of allen head. Those never fail to strip on me. 
Some prefer medicine. I prefer my Raider.

bigjohn

« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2012, 05:30:37 PM »
screwin around with nuts and bolts is an art that only experience can teach. as far a kids. today's versions sucks,plain and simple. the modern way of raising them is a complete failure...hence the nickname 'the lazy generation'. but don 't worry it'll only get worse. big john

sundancer87

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:51:30 PM »
I'll chime in on this one with personal experience on my Raider. While removing the left side frame mount the bolt which goes into the rear head seemed awful tight. I summed it up as lock tite and kept turning, once out I realized the bolt was bent and as I turned it out it chewed up any thread I had left. Long story short I managed to drill it out, and using a heli-coil I managed to save it. The stock bolt now threads in with ease and using only my fingers.
I've heard of stripping spark plug holes as well, this is more common than you would believe especially in the automotive industry where car makers make getting at spark plugs a nightmare. Several companies sell tap and heli kits suited for spark plugs in particular. You will be forced to remove the head when doing this so you don't end up with metal in your bore.
Cheers,

Actually, a good heavy bodied grease applied to the tap will catch the cuttings.  I've done this many times w/o pulling a head.

cpayne13

• Road Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 14, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »
THIS is a lifesaver! Works good as heat, but does not damage plastics or refinished surfaces.
there are cheaper alternatives than loctite, btw...