Author Topic: Tank shake?  (Read 2966 times)

jeb6294

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 8
Re: Tank shake?
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2015, 08:38:54 am »
Mine does it at certain RPM's.  When I had the tank off to do the air filter brackets, I tried tightening up the front bolts (#14 in the link G2G113 sent) and I'm wondering if that actually made it worse.  Is there a torque spec for those bolts? Is there supposed to be another rubber damper at the rear mount?

If some shaking is okay then I can live with it, I just want to make sure I'm not going to have something break from fatigue.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

AlabamaRaider

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2015, 09:50:16 am »
    I took Alabama Raiders advice and just went out to the garage and put a rubber washer on each stud mount.I will find out tomorrow if it did the trick.

If it continues to shake, then remove the tank and adjust the grommets where the tank rests. And while at it, you can add washers to the front studs too. I did that and problem solved.

RangerRick

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2015, 06:31:08 am »
    I took Alabama Raiders advice and just went out to the garage and put a rubber washer on each stud mount.I will find out tomorrow if it did the trick.

If it continues to shake, then remove the tank and adjust the grommets where the tank rests. And while at it, you can add washers to the front studs too. I did that and problem solved.

:agree:.When my tank shook it was because one of the grommets was not positioned correctly.
    2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
    ANG Member 25 years
    Retired Aug. 1, 2010

• Advertisement

Sprinter7x

• V Star
      « Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2015, 02:30:12 pm »
      Make sure all your dampers are installed under the tank. http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/yam/50732f0df8700218e05b8b6a/fuel-tank

I have a question, is the tank vibrating, or the meter cover, or the speedo?  All three have different moles, or dampers that can cause vibration if they are missing.  Do you feel the tank vibrating when you touch it or are you noticing the speedo shaking?

It's definitely the tank,getting ready to take a ride and find out if the rubber washers helped,didn't get to ride yesterday as thought.

Sprinter7x

• V Star
      « Reply #19 on: Oct 08, 2015, 02:36:18 pm »
      I will try the rubber washers, maybe they were forgot at the factory? The bike has never been wrecked, and I don't believe the tank has ever been off.I think I definitely need to stop it because it may ruin my speedo if I dont.Looked down at speedo today and it was stuck, pulled over, turned key off, speedo went all the way up as normal,then stuck at same spot on the way down, gave a light tap on the glass and it dropped to zero and was fine the rest of my ride.I noticed when the tank is shaking, just slight leg pressure against the tank will make it stop.Are the tank bolts under the seat end supposed to have rubber washers?

What do you consider low mileage for a 2010? Depending on how many miles, the tank most likely has been off if a 2010. You need to lift the fuel tank to check/change air filter.I'm still thinking it more than likely hasn't been off.It had 4,900 miles on it,it's a 2010 that was bought as a new leftover in 2012,the guy rode it about a year until sometime in 2013 when he traded it off for a couple atv's,it had been sitting at the dealer for 2yrs. until I bought it last week.It's got less miles on it than my 14 ultra classic.

Mine is a 2012 with 44,000 KM on it and tank has been off numerous times. No shake or vibration. I think you are on the right track with the rubber washers/grommets.