Author Topic: Storage  (Read 3662 times)

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Storage
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2015, 09:57:10 am »
Just a side note, if you have one of those new lithium batteries like I do, a standard charger/tender will not work, in fact, they will harm the battery.
I store mine in a climate controlled room, keeps the condensation thing from happening when a garage can very up to 20+ degrees on a given day.

Just fyi:

http://www.batterystuff.com/blog/can-i-use-a-battery-tender-on-my-shorai-.html
If you read the manual that comes with the Shorai battery, you will see that it says, using a lead acid battery tender will damage the battery and void the warranty. There is also much about it talked about this issue here but, do what you want.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2015, 09:59:50 am »
    Don't like the cover idea - critters find a nice covered hiding spot and next thing you know you have a mouse/rat nest in your intake - plus a cover can trap condensation.

Mine is a 1/2 cover so no condensation issues but check every once in a while for critters. 
    Last year forgot to put tan old sock over my exhaust and when I started it up in spring black oil sunflower shells and who knows what else shot all over the garage and made a mess to clean up :(  No harm but that won't be forgotten this year!!
    Condensation can and does happen in a fuel tank and inside of your engine, that's the condensation I was talking about.

wileecoyote

• "Winding road next 99 miles..."
    • Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2015, 10:01:27 am »
    I use Optimate brand of battery tender....have three of them, been using for years.   

• Advertisement

asicrunner

• Warrior
      « Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2015, 12:21:05 pm »
      Being in TX, I do none of that and wait for tomorrow. Then I can ride it some more!!! 

ditto... except for being in TX..
      Ride long Ride often

]

Deyv

• Raider
      « Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2015, 01:40:56 pm »
      I would wonder about jacking/blocking the bike up off the ground, to prevent the tires from getting flat spots from long term sitting....

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #20 on: Oct 13, 2015, 01:54:30 pm »
      I would wonder about jacking/blocking the bike up off the ground, to prevent the tires from getting flat spots from long term sitting....

I haven't (and 4 others I know) had any issues with NOT doing it. I think it is a strategy for long term. I don't think 6 months requires it.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2015, 05:30:53 pm »
      Don't like the cover idea - critters find a nice covered hiding spot and next thing you know you have a mouse/rat nest in your intake - plus a cover can trap condensation.

:agree: :agree: I never cover my Raider.I also add little packs of moth balls at the front and rear of the tank to keep rodents out of the air cleaner.I've been told they don't like the smell.

I haven't (and 4 others I know) had any issues with NOT doing it. I think it is a strategy for long term. I don't think 6 months requires it.

I just over-inflate the tires by about 10psi.It's standard practice with auto manufacturers to keep tires from flat spotting while new cars sit on the lot.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

Uber Dave

• Road Star
      « Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2015, 11:29:15 pm »
      I store mine in my nephews storage shed. It's clean and dry but no heat and I don't cover it for the same reasons Roadkill  mentioned. I fill the tank with stabilizer and plug in the tender. I have cobra swept exhaust and the local dealer had these 2.5 inch plugs that fit in the openings which I purchased and they keep the critters from camping out in my exhaust. I used them the last two years and no critter intrusion.
      Uber Dave
      L

LeaderDuece

• There is no substitute for power. Raw nasty power.
      • Warrior
      « Reply #23 on: Oct 14, 2015, 08:44:21 am »
      I'm surprised nobody has discussed whether to change to new oil before you store, or after you take it out of storage.

wileecoyote

• "Winding road next 99 miles..."
      • Road Star
      « Reply #24 on: Oct 14, 2015, 08:45:06 am »
      My barn cats take care of all intruders!!  :evillaugh:

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #25 on: Oct 14, 2015, 10:02:15 am »
      I'm surprised nobody has discussed whether to change to new oil before you store, or after you take it out of storage.
      Why would you change the oil just to park it?

LeaderDuece

• Warrior
      « Reply #26 on: Oct 14, 2015, 10:09:44 am »
      Usually the end of the riding season is when you change your oil right?

If you change the oil before you park it, then it sits there with new oil. Which is good. Except the contaminants in the motor slowly leach out and into your new oil.

If you change it next year, then the contaminant already in the oil slowly gunk up the engine. Someone mentioned condensation. For fun, peek into your engine in February. You'll see white foam sitting on your oil if you didn't change it before you parked it for the year.

So,which do you do? Change it now and slowly contaminate your new oil, or change it later and slowly contaminate your motor.

asicrunner

• Warrior
      « Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2015, 10:48:13 am »
      huh, I am so glad I don't need to worry about storage.
      Ride long Ride often

]

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #28 on: Oct 14, 2015, 06:33:46 pm »
      Usually the end of the riding season is when you change your oil right?

If you change the oil before you park it, then it sits there with new oil. Which is good. Except the contaminants in the motor slowly leach out and into your new oil.

If you change it next year, then the contaminant already in the oil slowly gunk up the engine. Someone mentioned condensation. For fun, peek into your engine in February. You'll see white foam sitting on your oil if you didn't change it before you parked it for the year.

So,which do you do? Change it now and slowly contaminate your new oil, or change it later and slowly contaminate your motor.

I never replace my oil before storing the bike.Always in the spring about 2 weeks before I can ride.That's how I've been doing it for 23 years and I've never had an issue.That's 19 winters with my Virago and 4 with the Raider.
      Actually,I did have a problem once.It was 3 years ago.Everybody was saying how I should replace the oil before storage,so I did.The following spring,the clutch wouldn't release normally.Very hard first gear engagement,with the bike lunging forward 8-10 inches.Somebody suggested that the clutch disks and plates could be gummed up and sticking together,and that the problem would disappear if I went for a ride.I took his advice and turns out he was right.I'm not saying the new oil had anything to do with it,but I've never replaced the oil before storage since,and I've never had that problem again.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

LeaderDuece

• Warrior
      « Reply #29 on: Oct 14, 2015, 06:40:46 pm »
      I always want to change it, but I never get around to it. And I usually ride a bit through the winter anyway.

Having said that, there are accumulated bits of metal, gunk, contaminants, and acids sitting in your engine all winter if you don't change it.