Author Topic: Shinko 005 Advance 240  (Read 3089 times)

Sprinter7x

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Shinko 005 Advance 240
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:51:04 pm »
Putting them on both ends tomorrow.This will be the first tire change my bike has had,the rear Metz is worn out at 6,500 miles.Putting a 240 on the back,hope I like it,sure don't want to mess up the stance of the bike,I really like this bike.I looked the stock 210 over good today and it really wore flat,i figure that why everyone claims the 240's feel so much better,putting a 240 on our slightly narrow wheel is making the 240 even more round in the center.I will give some initial feedback on the Shinko's and what I think of the 240.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 2
    « Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:18:42 pm »
    putting 240 on the raider is hands down the best mod dollar for dollar IMO !

with that said , hopefully the shinko will work out for you, I think as long as you chill while riding it may be ok... But if you start to push it hard I would not trust it  :(

And don't forget to get 50-100miles on the tires before you start to push them, the tires need time to heat cycle and work out the mold release agent that soaked in while they were formed !!
    Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Sprinter7x

• V Star
    « Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:32:21 pm »
    I twist on the throttle pretty hard in a straight line once in awhile but I don't push it too hard in the corners,I went down hard last year on another bike,hit a deer,aint in no hurry to go down again.Got enough metal holding my bones together now.

• Advertisement

Sprinter7x

• V Star
      « Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:42:45 pm »
      Got the new Shinko's on today and rode about 125 miles on them.The tires felt great,but honestly any new tires feel good being new from my experience,time will tell as far as how they hold up,but I like em now.As far as my honest opinion of the 240-the 240 is a definite improvement,I could instantly tell the ride quality was better and it cornered way better,the 240 made me feel way more confident in corners on the road,and at slow speed turns in town my bike didn't push like it did before,it turned like a bike should.I did notice a slight loss in performance at  low rpm's,but when on the throttle hard not much difference,maybe a little,but not a lot.The tire being taller has raised the gear ratio up a bit higher,which at low speeds in lower gears is where I noticed it,in 5th gear on the highway I think the slightly higher ratio is better.I also think the bigger tire may have dropped my fuel milage a bit,but don't want to say for sure yet.The 240 is enough of an all around improvement that I do believe it's definitely a better way to go than the 210,it does sit the back of the bike up a bit taller,which I really wish it didn't,but that's part of the tradeoff,if it didn't it probably wouldn't handle or ride as good-I give the 240 a thumbs up on the Raider.   

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:58:14 pm »
      Got the new Shinko's on today and rode about 125 miles on them.The tires felt great,but honestly any new tires feel good being new from my experience,time will tell as far as how they hold up,but I like em now.As far as my honest opinion of the 240-the 240 is a definite improvement,I could instantly tell the ride quality was better and it cornered way better,the 240 made me feel way more confident in corners on the road,and at slow speed turns in town my bike didn't push like it did before,it turned like a bike should.I did notice a slight loss in performance at  low rpm's,but when on the throttle hard not much difference,maybe a little,but not a lot.The tire being taller has raised the gear ratio up a bit higher,which at low speeds in lower gears is where I noticed it,in 5th gear on the highway I think the slightly higher ratio is better.I also think the bigger tire may have dropped my fuel milage a bit,but don't want to say for sure yet.The 240 is enough of an all around improvement that I do believe it's definitely a better way to go than the 210,it does sit the back of the bike up a bit taller,which I really wish it didn't,but that's part of the tradeoff,if it didn't it probably wouldn't handle or ride as good-I give the 240 a thumbs up on the Raider.

sweet man glad to hear your happy so far with them !, def keep us up to date or your long term thoughts!

as to it being raised in the rear, Air ride will fix that problem.. did on my bike !!  ;D ;D
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Pep

• Live as long as you can, but not too long! HEF 04
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2015, 08:59:24 pm »

as to it being raised in the rear, Air ride will fix that problem.. did on my bike !!  ;D ;D

Me too and love it!!!!

joelraider

• Road Star
      « Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2015, 09:51:45 pm »
      I use them for  my Kawasaki Concourse C14  did lots of cross country touring/ twisty roads in deals gap NC never had an issue with them and got high  mileage out of them, But it is a different bike and possible different tire series (Shinko Raven )  my Raider is do for a front tire so i will try it, I also had it on my M109r as a front tire and it  performed just like any other tire out there..

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2015, 05:29:02 am »

Me too and love it!!!!

:agree:  The 240, no matter what brand is much better than the stock 210.  You will not regret putting them on.  As for wear I am looking forward to what you get from them.  Also as stated if the stance is not what you really like the air ride will give you what ever stance you want.  It is expensive but if you have the money it is worth it IMO.

SilverStar

• Raider
      « Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2015, 07:15:40 am »
      I tried a Pirelli Night Dragon.  New it had 5/32 tread depth.  It did a fine job but turned into a brick below 40F.  It wore out evenly after about  6-7000 miles.  I got to Maggie Valley with 1/32 of tread left and that was gone in a day and a half.  The Avon I replaced it with had !0/32 tread depth.  I don't know how it wears yet, but I feel like I got two tires for the price of one.  The thing is that more and more guys run the Avon and I've only seen one guy who didn't like it and wanted to try an Elite 3.  After my experience with the Pirelli, which I got because my nephew liked them on his Sporty and nobody had posted about using on a
      Raider, I decided to listen to recommendations from the other guys.  I didn't mind being a guinea pig for the Pirelli but if I knew then what I know now I'd never bother with the Pirelli.  Without getting into composition of the rubber and carcass, just the tread depth tells me the two tires were designed for different purposes.  The Raider is a relatively heavy bike compared to other bikes that use a 240.  There's no sense in putting a sport bike tire on it.  The vast majority of us like the Avon because it's the best overall tire FOR OUR APPLICATION.  Nobody has come up with a tire that has significantly better performance and most don't come near the durability.  There will always be a few who have other preferences, but if something works for the vast majority, wouldn't it make sense to try that first?
      "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  -  Isaac Asimov

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Kury Passenger Swept Wing Pegs and Extensions
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

Sprinter7x

• V Star
      « Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2015, 07:38:52 pm »
      I like the tread pattern on the Shinko better. If they hold up well I will buy another set, if not I may try an Avon.They balanced good and ride and handle well, cant say anything but good about them now, time will tell. Back in the day, I put alot of miles on Cheng Shin tires I ordered out of the Sears catalog, and I rode the living hell  out of my bikes back then, got along just fine with them.

MrReacher

• V Star
      « Reply #25 on: May 25, 2020, 03:40:05 pm »
      I like the tread pattern on the Shinko better. If they hold up well I will buy another set, if not I may try an Avon.They balanced good and ride and handle well, cant say anything but good about them now, time will tell. Back in the day, I put alot of miles on Cheng Shin tires I ordered out of the Sears catalog, and I rode the living hell  out of my bikes back then, got along just fine with them.

Did it end up holding up?

wfm113

• Road Star
      « Reply #26 on: May 25, 2020, 06:49:16 pm »
      My son put a pair on his Warrior, didnít hold up well but he rides it pretty aggressively at times.
      Good luck and Ride safe

BorderlandBiker

• "Trust in God, no fear..." INDIAN LARRY
      • Road Star
      « Reply #27 on: Jun 14, 2020, 06:59:47 pm »
      Maybe I'll just try them then I can give reviews,these stock Metzelers suk!

A few years ago one of the magazines (Cycle World?) tested the Shinko against other brands. It scored well...I'm using the Commander II and getting excellent mileage

Mdawg75

• 2009 Raven Raider with Chrome
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #28 on: Jun 23, 2020, 03:21:59 pm »
      Ive got the Avon 240 on rear but Im on my 2nd Shinko front tire, they are a little softer (more grab on the asphault) but wear a little quicker. I don't know about putting it on the back though just for the fact that it would wear a lot quicker.
      This is my Raider, there are many like it But this ONE is mine.

Pastor Jay

• Road Star
      « Reply #29 on: Jun 23, 2020, 04:39:50 pm »
      Not sure about the Shinko but I just changed out my front Avon Cobra after 14,700 miles. Probably could have squeezed it for a few more but heading out on a 1000 mile, week long trip next week. I got 11k on the 240. 
      The most important step in your life is the one you are taking right now.