Author Topic: 3D printed Key Cover Project. Are we interested?  (Read 898 times)

MudSlide

• I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
3D printed Key Cover Project. Are we interested?
« on: Jun 05, 2021, 01:20:13 pm »
Hi All,
I haven't been on the forum in ages. Still here and still riding!
2020 kicked my butt sideways and I lost my job.  I managed to pick up a few side gigs and I started my own business! www.monarch-3d.com.
The big side gig that came out of nowhere, I am working with John Burgess at Ekstensive (www.ekstensive.com) which happens to be the reality show, Texas Metal, on the Motertrend network https://watch.motortrend.com/tv-shows/texas-metal/

So I have this idea for our motorcycle community regarding the Ignition key.  My Key never leaves my bike because it's hidden by a 3D printed skull.  Those in the know will know it's a key, but not everybody.  I almost lost my key in a "porta-potty" while at a rally.  I was feaking out! so now it stays on the bike!

I've been thinking about making some 3D printed key covers.  I had one made for me many many years ago and I figured, why not, I'll give it a try.
This is the first model I'm working with.  The "Devil Skull" comes from www.thingiverse.com.  The Idea is, find a 3D model you like and I would print and "Key" it for you.
The end product would be coated in epoxy for durability, and be ready for you to <super glue, hot glue, Goop, epoxy> your key into the 3D print.

Here is a picture of a raw test print.
So what would something like this be worth? (plus shipping)  :)

The road to enlightenment is more fun on a Raider

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    Re: 3D printed Key Cover Project. Are we interested?
    « Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2021, 07:01:44 pm »
    That's cool! I hand one hand carved in deer antler only last Raider but had to let it go with the bike since it was epoxy on the key, how much for one of yours?
    V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

MudSlide

• I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer
    • Road Star
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2021, 06:39:43 pm »
    Well that's what I'm trying to figure out?  What would be your target price?
    The road to enlightenment is more fun on a Raider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2021, 07:43:17 pm »
      I picked up a resin skull years ago and dremmeled into it to insert the key and then epoxyed it into place. This was for my first Raider. I don't use a key for my latest Raider except to occasionally get under the seat, so having a bulky key doesn't make sense anymore.

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2021, 03:14:12 pm »
      Well that's what I'm trying to figure out?  What would be your target price?

I think you would be competing with something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/370227017760?hash=item56333ff820:g:Cm8AAMXQTghROCcj
      So I would throw out there that maybe $15-20 and free shipping to the lower 48 is realistic? IDK. I'm just trying to help. I'm not really a potential buyer as I take my key with me and I can't have a skull biting at my thigh when walking around.

Of course, now that you have the slot dimensions down you could offer really just about anything anyone wanted, not just a skull, right? Do you think you could find a Chicago Bears head (don't judge me... it's hard enough being a Bears fan)