Author Topic: Front Pulley  (Read 12205 times)

SilverStar

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Front Pulley
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2016, 04:22:11 pm »
Honest question.  What difference is 1 tooth going to make?  I would think it's so we can use the cheaper belt with 1 less tooth or is it for those who like to street race?

Don't know how big a difference it will make on the raider ...

But on a sport bike it makes a good difference in low end and acceleration !
 1 down on the front is equal to three up on the rear on a sportbike , I would imagine it would be close to same on raider
I forget what the Raider and Liner rear pulleys are, but it's all a matter of percentages.  More torque multiplication means more wheel power.  The bigger the difference between front and rear, the more low end and acceleration.  The closer they are you lose low end but gain more top end as long the engine makes enough power, and lower cruise rpm.  Of course you can go to far to extremes either way, but 1 tooth up front is enough to make a difference you can feel.  It wouldn't be huge on a dragstrip but you might 2 to 4 tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile.  You might lose 1-4 MPG too.  If you run heavy on the freeway and would like more passing power without downshifting a smaller front or larger rear would help.
"violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  -  Isaac Asimov

MODS
Yami Tall Sissy Bar
Kury Passenger Swept Wing Pegs and Extensions
Speedstar Drags
Avons front and 240 rear
Mustang 2-piece

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 2
    « Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2016, 07:26:33 pm »
    Honest question.  What difference is 1 tooth going to make?  I would think it's so we can use the cheaper belt with 1 less tooth or is it for those who like to street race?

1 down on the front is equal to three up on the rear on a sportbike , I would imagine it would be close to same on raider
    I forget what the Raider and Liner rear pulleys are, but it's all a matter of percentages.  More torque multiplication means more wheel power.  The bigger the difference between front and rear, the more low end and acceleration.  The closer they are you lose low end but gain more top end as long the engine makes enough power, and lower cruise rpm.  Of course you can go to far to extremes either way, but 1 tooth up front is enough to make a difference you can feel.  It wouldn't be huge on a dragstrip but you might 2 to 4 tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile.  You might lose 1-4 MPG too.  If you run heavy on the freeway and would like more passing power without downshifting a smaller front or larger rear would help.

1 up on the front would actually give the bike a higher gear ratio bro not lower !

Up in rear is lower ratio , down in front equals lower ratio and more acceleration also
    Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

SilverStar

• Raider
    « Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2016, 08:48:49 pm »

1 up on the front would actually give the bike a higher gear ratio bro not lower !

Up in rear is lower ratio , down in front equals lower ratio and more acceleration also

LOL  I just reread that.  I meant the sprocket up front, not 1 up on the front sprocket.  My bad!  I knew what I meant.  I was typing faster than I can read.

MODS
    Yami Tall Sissy Bar
    Speedstar Drags
    Avons front and 240 rear
    Mustang 2-piece

• Advertisement

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2016, 08:51:30 pm »

LOL  I just reread that.  I meant the sprocket up front, not 1 up on the front sprocket.  My bad!  I knew what I meant.  I was typing faster than I can read.

lmao , I do it all the time ! Just done it on another post earlier !   It's all good bro !

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2016, 11:45:16 am »
      Purchased OEM; en route to Nevada.  More to come...
      Ken
      2010 Raider/2008 FZ1 (sold)

RIP Tail dragger

xmanrigger

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2016, 04:05:44 pm »
      Speaking of front pully, I have a bit of a tidbit to throw in.

I bought a 2004 Warrior used with about 25,000KM on it. Rode the shit out of it for the first week, then noticed a clunking sound coming from the rear. I thought it might be the belt worn out and slipping. After spending $900 on a new new belt, tire, and rear wheel bearings at the stealership, the problem was still there. Losing confidence in dealer, I investigated further. What I had discovered was the final drive shaft was stripped and the front pulley was slipping on the shaft. The seller had to of known because some assclown tried to fix it up with what looked like JB Weld. Lovely. Now it does have to go back to the stealership. Was told the shaft was on back order and no idea when available. With that said, I went to a bigger city that had a HD dealer and looked around. Nothing there I wanted to ride so I went across the street to Yamaha. I walked in, asked if they had a Raider. Salesman looked at me kinda funny because I am only about 5'7" and 140lbs. He directed me towards the bike, I sat on it, and immediately told him to write it up. He was like "really, you got financing?". I said "ya, really and showed him a certified check from the bank". Easiest sale the kid ever had.
      Not even a week after I bought the Raider, the local dealer called me to tell me the bike was fixed and ready to go. I decided I would keep the warrior as a second bike and my son could ride it. Long story short; after he rode it a few times, I discovered a huge piece of the lower steering stem where the lower bearing race is seated, was broke away and gone. I attributed this to former owner either crashing it or laying it down a couple of times as the steering stop was broken away as well. Here is what really hurt. I paid $4500 for the bike, another $900 troubleshooting pulley, and another $3200 to replace pulley. I cut my losses and sold it for $3000 and wrote right on the transfer papers that the bike was unsafe to ride and made buyer very aware of consequences if it is rode without being fixed proper.

Anyways, back to original point I am getting at. My conclusion, I believe the pulley shaft was stripped due to previous owner(s) riding habits. The Warrior and Raider make a shitload of torque. I think the previous owners were hitting the throttle too hard as well as slacking off hard. The minuscule freeplay/tolerance between the splines of the shaft and pulley, combined with hitting it hard, eventually stripped the shaft. For that reason, and thru my trials and tribulations with the warrior, I try my best to roll on the throttle and not 'bang' the drive train. Super hot starts off the line are easy enough to do without 'hitting' the drivetrain. So with that said and being the Raider makes more torque than the warrior, I have far more miles on my Raider than what was on the warrior, and knowing the previous owner, I know for fact I have ridden the Raider a lot harder than the Warrior ever was, and there is no evidence of the issue. I believe it was due to 100% rider technique.

Food for thought.

Broken Steering Stem - Warrior
      http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8649/quyu675v6axx66o6g.jpg

2012 Raider / V&H Big Radius 2-1 / Cobra Fi2000 DFP / Baron Stealth Big Air / Avon AV72 Cobra Rear Tire /

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2016, 05:48:27 pm »
      very interested!  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2016, 07:31:34 pm »
      very interested!  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

+1   :D

MrGood

• DE, MD, Northern VA and South Eastern PA Riders
      • Warrior
      « Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2016, 06:57:22 am »
      Sounds good to me!  just as the season breaks.....
      Shiny side up

atspence

• Road Star
      « Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2016, 10:59:52 am »
      It will make a difference if you have gone to the taller 240 rear tire. It will get the gear ratio back to the original spec.

SilverStar

• Raider
      « Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2016, 05:30:07 pm »
      It will make a difference if you have gone to the taller 240 rear tire. It will get the gear ratio back to the original spec.

Interesting.  The original specs?  That means the speedo will be off again.   :thinking:  I would have thought there would be more difference than that.  I never felt a loss of power from the 240.  I'd expect to feel a gain form a 30 tooth pulley.  If the difference is no more than the difference between the 210 and 240 it's not worth it to me to change.

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2016, 06:12:23 pm »
      Relax. Let me evaluate this guys.
      Ken

RIP Tail dragger

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2016, 07:11:14 pm »

Interesting.  The original specs?  That means the speedo will be off again.   :thinking:  I would have thought there would be more difference than that.  I never felt a loss of power from the 240.  I'd expect to feel a gain form a 30 tooth pulley.  If the difference is no more than the difference between the 210 and 240 it's not worth it to me to change.

Since none of us have done this Mod yet I'm kinda assuming here... but I think its gonna make a pretty decent difference with a 30, your rite its gonna play with the speedo reading but the lower gear ratio will be a fair trade to me!

I swapped many front spockets on my sport bikes and going down one make a good difference on them , so I can only imagine that with the torque the raider puts out , it will be a good boost down low.

As long as it doesn't kill the cruising rpms to bad I for one will do it !

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2016, 07:32:29 pm »
      I'm with Dave. I run - 1 on my FZ1. It should be awesome.
      Ken

RIP Tail dragger

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2016, 07:43:30 pm »
      I'm with Dave. I run - 1 on my FZ1. It should be awesome.

For sure Bro !!

Props for doing some legwork on this and let me know what happens and I'm def in for one man !

I can also ride up 301 and meet you somewhere to grab it and we can ride or grab some lunch at ape hangers or somewhere !