Author Topic: Front Pulley  (Read 8882 times)

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 4
    • Right A Way
Re: Front Pulley
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:45:24 am »
You're right. Sorry. Its it's the Liner guys who want our pulleys. Thanks Dave.
Ken
2010 Raider/2008 FZ1 (sold)

RIP Tail dragger

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

102~2~113

• Roadliner
    « Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:01:40 am »

Here's the pulley and sprocket teeth count and ratios for the Liner, Raider, and Warrior.

It's also posted in my profile pix

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #47 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:29:57 am »
    I actually checked into doing this about 6 months ago.  We source out some of our more custom machine work because it's cheaper for us than having million dollar machines to maintain.  I was told they could do it of course, however the initial cost of making the first one, & then having it test fit & tried out (which I volunteered to do), plus any revamping of the initial part was estimated at about $5K......this is for a 1 piece machined billet cut pulley.  I was actually expecting more since some of our 1 off pieces cost around $15K-$20K to have made.  Basically I was told it would take a "payment up front order" of at least 100 at a cost of $150 apiece for them to even consider making the part.  Right now I'm in the process of trying to find a vender that will buy the patent rights to the pulley & market it under their name.  By doing this, a big name vendor can put in an order for say 500 & get a discount on initial cost because of quantity ordered, which leaves them room to make a profit.  So far no luck.   

• Advertisement

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:34:39 am »
      Pulley swaps on the Raider, etc won't sell. You have to replace the belt as well and right now aftermarkets are not really exact fits even though they work. I worked with a company to try to work something out but I don't think people are interested in a $500 upgrade where you have to remove the rear swing arm. The front pulley would have been the answer but 1 tooth wasn't enough.
      Ken

RIP Tail dragger

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:52:24 am »
      Pulley swaps on the Raider, etc won't sell. You have to replace the belt as well and right now aftermarkets are not really exact fits even though they work. I worked with a company to try to work something out but I don't think people are interested in a $500 upgrade where you have to remove the rear swing arm. The front pulley would have been the answer but 1 tooth wasn't enough.

By going only 1 tooth down in the front, you should be able to use the stock belt.  I replaced the belt on my Raider with a S&S/Gates High Strength Final Drive Belt, 14mm 133 Tooth - 1-1/8" & it fit fine, had plenty of adjustment left.  When going with an aftermarket belt, your choice is either a 133 or 135.....Yamaha really F*%# us with that 134 tooth belt.  The reason I went with the 133 vs the 134 was because I figured the belt would stretch some over time & wanted to have plenty of adjustment left vs a 135 that would be right at the end of adjustment.   

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:57:15 am »
      1 tooth down doesn't make a big enough change.
      Ken

RIP Tail dragger

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #51 on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:38:08 am »
      I woulda thought 1 tooth less in the front would give a good bump in acceleration vs our stock 31 tooth.  I know the rule of thumb is commonly going down 1 tooth in the front is = to going up 3 in the rear. 

NebraskaJ

• Road Star
      « Reply #52 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:56:28 pm »
      I woulda thought 1 tooth less in the front would give a good bump in acceleration vs our stock 31 tooth.  I know the rule of thumb is commonly going down 1 tooth in the front is = to going up 3 in the rear.

Honestly, I'd be more interested in a 32T pulley (one up) to lower RPMs on the highway. The Raider puts out plenty of torque as-is and the extra tooth up front would help compensate for no 6th gear.

t84a

• Real Men Pedal
      • Raider
        • Right A Way
      « Reply #53 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:03:22 pm »
      1 tooth only changes the RPMs by about 133 at 4000 RPMs.
      Ken

RIP Tail dragger

bar836

• Road Star
      « Reply #54 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:58:26 am »

Honestly, I'd be more interested in a 32T pulley (one up) to lower RPMs on the highway. The Raider puts out plenty of torque as-is and the extra tooth up front would help compensate for no 6th gear.

:agree:

bar836

• Road Star
      « Reply #55 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:01:15 am »
      I actually checked into doing this about 6 months ago.  We source out some of our more custom machine work because it's cheaper for us than having million dollar machines to maintain.  I was told they could do it of course, however the initial cost of making the first one, & then having it test fit & tried out (which I volunteered to do), plus any revamping of the initial part was estimated at about $5K......this is for a 1 piece machined billet cut pulley.  I was actually expecting more since some of our 1 off pieces cost around $15K-$20K to have made.  Basically I was told it would take a "payment up front order" of at least 100 at a cost of $150 apiece for them to even consider making the part.  Right now I'm in the process of trying to find a vender that will buy the patent rights to the pulley & market it under their name.  By doing this, a big name vendor can put in an order for say 500 & get a discount on initial cost because of quantity ordered, which leaves them room to make a profit.  So far no luck.

Ever think about a 3d printed pulley for fitment?  I know you wouldn't be able to road test it, but you could verify design.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #56 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:00:38 am »

Ever think about a 3d printed pulley for fitment?  I know you wouldn't be able to road test it, but you could verify design.
      Interesting, we have a 3d printer here at work.  I'll check with the guys & see how long it would take to create it.  For all the guys that want a bigger front pulley, I'm 99% sure a bigger pulley won't fit.  The 31 Tooth has barely enough clearance, so a 32 tooth would be a stretch & a 33 tooth is definitely out of the question.

toy

• Roadliner
      « Reply #57 on: Jun 10, 2021, 09:58:36 pm »
      So is there a 30T front pulley?
      There are only 10 types of people, those who can read binary and those who cant.