Author Topic: Help!! Need help with wiring.. noob..  (Read 2540 times)

galacius29

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Help!! Need help with wiring.. noob..
« on: Apr 30, 2011, 07:05:18 pm »
Hey everybody, just bought a raider last week and i'm already planning out all my mods. So one of the first things i want to do before i start hooking up electrical stuff to my bike is get the following:

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html

I looked at the wiring setup and it looks simple enough, but i'm fairly new to this stuff so i'll prob need some help and advice as i go through it.

So before ordering i took off my seat and took a look at all the wiring above the battery.... i have no idea what any of it is and the manual diagrams are beyond my head... so i took a photo.. Wonder if any of you might be able to help identify the numbered wires on the image below? I'm trying to figure out where to tap my switching lead.. I'm most interested in knowing what number 1 is?

Another thing i was wondering is.. what is the switch in this next picture for? Is there anything we can wire to it? And how would we go about doing that?

THANKS A BUNCH AHEAD OF TIME!!

Once i figure it out, i'll prob take a bunch of photos of the install and wiring of various things and post them up..

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2011, 07:08:05 pm by galacius29 »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

aldrich.riley

Re: Help!! Need help with wiring.. noob..
    « Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2011, 07:14:33 pm »
    #1 - DC AUX Power tap connector
    #2 - battery tap to starter relay
    #3 - rear tail lights wiring connector
    #4 - test lead connector
    #5 -
    #6 - VSS signal wire connector
    #7 -

From the Owners Manual
    Handlebar Switch - Accessory driving lights, terminates inside the headlight. Power when bike is running.

galacius29

• V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2011, 07:35:35 pm »
    Thanks for the feedback.. so what can i do with number 1?(i don't have much electrical exp so forgive asking stupid questions)

I was thinking of tapping the license plate light for the switching lead.. anybody know the type of wire that runs to the license plate light?

I will probably be using a Posi Tap and wanted to know if i need to use a  PTA2022 or a PTA1416?

• Advertisement

PJ

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 1
        • Central FL Home Inspections
      « Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2011, 08:12:25 pm »
      I strongly recommend running all new wire runs for anything you add to your bike. You will be glad you did later on if you have to trouble shoot a problem and/or make any repairs. Also, make sure you install an in-line fuse on all new feeds. Good Luck! Have Fun!

CrazyJ113

• Road Star
      « Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2011, 08:18:16 pm »
      You will use #1 if you install a PVC.  I agree with PJ.  I would not tap into any wire if I did not have to.  Go strait from the battery with an in-line fuse.  How much electircal stuff are you planing on hooking up?

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2011, 08:59:57 pm »
      You can use #1 for anything you want to up to 3 amps.  It is on with the ignition key. 

If you do add any wiring, I strongly recommend soldering conennections and insulating them well.  A couple coats of liquid tape works well for me. 

galacius29

• V Star
      « Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2011, 10:43:50 pm »
      I only plan on tapping the license plate wire for the PC-8 i plan on installing. The PC-8 will be connected directly to the Main battery providing 6 switched and 2 unswitched fuses.  The point of tapping the license plate wire would be so that the PC-8 fuses that are switched know when to have live power. But the draw itself is from the battery not the line for the light.. Check out the link for my first post..

Any of you guys installed a fuse box like this one? More common version is the Centech AP-1

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 05:20:07 am »
      The relay coil will put some load on the licence light wire.  If you are trying to avoid that, tap off the #1 accessory line under the seat.

gostr8r

• A proud SEA ROAR Member.
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 6
      « Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 06:34:26 am »
      Isn't this forum the best?! ;)
      I go too far and too fast to ride a Harley! If you see my bike on a trailer call 911. A Corbin fairing, bags, heated seat, V-Rail and back rest, PC3, PR Air Kit, V&H BR, 5" Chopper's Surplus Z Bars, DWG sound system, Indian front fender, mucho Kuryakyn and Yammy bling,   

galacius29

• V Star
      « Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 08:55:58 am »
      The relay coil will put some load on the licence light wire.  If you are trying to avoid that, tap off the #1 accessory line under the seat.

Good idea... Thanks for all the help.. i'll post pics once i get everything installed..

cfar

• V Star
      « Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:55:10 pm »
      Similar question:  My raider came from the original owner with a power comander already installed running off the dc #1 connections.   Is that right? 
      second:  I want to run a heated vest.  should I run off the bat. a in-line fused wire? 
      "All women are crazy, you just have to pick the crazy that you like."  quoting Cuz.

silverstreak

« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:59:42 pm »
      Another thing i was wondering is.. what is the switch in this next picture for? Is there anything we can wire to it? And how would we go about doing that?

THANKS A BUNCH AHEAD OF TIME!!

Once i figure it out, i'll prob take a bunch of photos of the install and wiring of various things and post them up..

this one is the accessory switch and the leads that it controls are in the headlight bucket. i actually got done tonight hooking my dash led's to this with a set of wires and soldered/heatshrunk real nice, cant tell they are there.  I plan to run all of my led's from this one point including my tube covers via a relay.  This switch is relayed and only activates when the bike is running. pushed to the right is off and vise versa.

here is the thread for this info at the very bottom
      https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=831.msg145696#msg145696

OK guys I got it! I thought this was the case at 1st, but didn't understand why it would be this way and then got confused. I looked inside gostr8r's headlight housing today and figured it out.

If you want to add lights to your accessory switch, here's how you do it:

1) In the headlight housing is 3 extra wire harnesses.
      2) The one with the white plug and only 2 wires in it, is the one you want.
      3) The BLUE wire with the BLACK stripe on it, is your positive.
      4) The BLACK wire is your negative.
      5) The BLACK wire is NOT grounded. Connect it together with your turn signal negative wires or another ground.

Now get your shades on because you're gonna be bright!  8)