Author Topic: Oh It's A Yamaha  (Read 751554 times)

bombsquadmike

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Oh It's A Yamaha
« Reply #15 on: Jun 26, 2009, 10:14:03 am »
I have had this happen more than one occasion myself, but the thing that kills me is the idiots who do the whole "Jap crap" thing and load their over priced HD into a trailer after yet again something went wrong and their HD can't go on the ride and the trailer which their  HD baby is in is pulled by a damn Toyota or a Nissan. WELL YOU SHOWED ME, NOW I"M IN MY PLACE. :D :D

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

cornfed biker

• Born Red and Corn fed
    • Warrior
    « Reply #16 on: Jun 26, 2009, 10:31:49 am »
    +10
    GO BIG RED, ridin da Raider

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
    • Global Moderator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 5
    « Reply #17 on: Jun 26, 2009, 10:35:53 am »
    I have a favorite experience involving the other American V-twin.  They were having a factory ride-in at a nearby dealership when I pulled into the parking lot.  There was the big truck, a tent, and a line of about 20 bikes on display.  I had gone to the dealership for another reason and just parked some distance from the event and went into the shop.  When I came out later nobody was looking at the other bikes but six folks were plenty interested in my Raider.  The three guys under the tent were fuming.  Their body language could be heard a hundred yards away.

• Advertisement

Starky

• Raider
      « Reply #18 on: Jun 26, 2009, 10:35:58 am »
      My girlfriend actually got me into street bikes, before that I was all about the dirt.  So when it came time to start looking for a bike I knew exactly what I wanted.  Didn't even know that the Raider existed yet.  I was looking for a laid back chopper type bike.  Didn't matter who made it but custome was going to be my last out.  I had the funds to buy whatever bike I wanted and I tried all the Harleys and none of them felt right.  About the time I started looking at the Raider, I was also looking at the Rocker.  It just didn't make any sense.  Even before riding either bike, the numbers didn't match up.  All the raider's numbers were far above the Rocker except the price.  Anyway, I rode the Raider and never looked back.
      One the other hand, my girlfriend has a brand new Harley.  She started out on a Honda Shaddow and was told by her X that she would never be able to handle a bike like a Harley.  Now he's still riding a Honda and she has her Harley.  The good thing is, she knows the Harley is all nestalgia and would never put down another bike.  
      Anyway, I have been lucky that most of the Harley guys that come up and ask me about my bike are truley impressed with the bike itself and don't put their noses up when they find out it's a Yamaha.  Some of them even get that "I should have had a V-8" look.  
      Knowing Yamaha, they will discontinue the Raider and we will have million dollar bikes.
      You can run, but you will only die tired.
      From a place you cannot see comes a sound you will never hear.

Starky

• Raider
      « Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2009, 10:39:44 am »
      We're going on a Harly sponsered ride this weekend that starts out from the HD dealership.  I'm going to be sure we get there early and I'm going to try and get in the lead part of the group.  This is going to be an awesome weekend.

SWomack

• Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #20 on: Jun 26, 2009, 01:17:29 pm »
      I am sure that everyone on this site will have a similar story to tell and I knew this thread would get some great postings on it.  The V8 look on there faces was a classic comment and yes I have seen that look on guys faces before.  It really doesn't matter to me what the HD crowd has to say one way or another but I always find it to be very funny to listen and see the looks on ther faces. 
      Swomack

Starky

• Raider
      « Reply #21 on: Jun 26, 2009, 02:50:58 pm »
      The funny thing is...after you tell them what you paid for it and how much power it has and how smooth it is, they're only come back is, "but it's not a Harley."   :shrug:

johnnydinla

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 2
        • SoCal Raider Channel
      « Reply #22 on: Jun 26, 2009, 02:56:33 pm »

[/quote]
      first, I'd have to slow it waaay down.  Then, I'd have to start loosening nuts and bolts so that fluids start dripping/leaking out all over. 
      [/quote]

Now that's as funny as much as it is true....  :D  I'm going to have to steal that line...

SWomack

• Raider
      « Reply #23 on: Jun 26, 2009, 06:36:08 pm »
      I want to keep this at the top of the list to hear more great stories

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #24 on: Jun 26, 2009, 08:38:31 pm »
      I got a honda gathering just a few hundred feet from my front door.. One little ride by and Im drumk a s a snknonk and the toast of the town.. boowt.. err woot.. they REall;Y love my Raider. Thank god I could walk home. O8O
      « Last Edit: Jun 26, 2009, 10:39:52 pm by SWomack »
      "Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." - James A. Michener
      May your road be smooth yet twisty.
      Let your mods turn all heads and torque make you thirsty.
      I hope the ride will take you to a place that makes your spirit sing.
      And put a smile on your face, for the blessings this day will bring.   Madcow 11

Madcow

• Liquid lighting
      • Raider
      « Reply #25 on: Jun 26, 2009, 08:43:16 pm »
      I drack mdy self upp.. shoooo.. neeada onother drimk.
      « Last Edit: Jun 26, 2009, 10:40:13 pm by SWomack »
      "Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries." - James A. Michener
      May your road be smooth yet twisty.
      Let your mods turn all heads and torque make you thirsty.
      I hope the ride will take you to a place that makes your spirit sing.
      And put a smile on your face, for the blessings this day will bring.   Madcow 11

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #26 on: Jun 26, 2009, 09:18:44 pm »
      My favorites:
      1.  I pull into an HD dealer to look for something and park about 30 yards from the door.  When I get to the door two of the younger employees come up and say, and I quote "Dude, that's the baddest looking Nighttrain I've ever seen...what the hell did you do to it."  I simply replied go take a closeup look of it and then you'll really be impressed.  The look the bike over practically drooling, then they both notice the Yamaha on the left side of the motor...both pause, look at each other and drop their heads in shame.   Freakin hilarious.  As we walked back to the doors I jokingly asked if they had anything as baddass inside...neither would even reply.

2.  I'm riding around campus and pull up to an Rocker with that stupid looking rear seat.  The girl on the back turns out to be one of my favorite student's.  She realizes its me and jumps off her boyfriends and gets on mine and teasingly says to him, "This one's cooler!  See you at home."  The guy, decked in everything HD looked totally crushed.  We took about a 1/2 hour ride before I brought her home.  He was standing in the door looking like he wanted to kill me.   ;D

3.  We go to a bike night with a buddy on his new Ironhorse.  I got a ton more looks and interest than he did.  On the way home I kicked the crap out of a friends brand new ironhorse (111c.i.) in 3 stoplight races until he looked like a beaten dog.  He paid more than twice as much for his than I did for mine.  And was furious he couldn't take me in looks or power.

4.  A friend decides to sell his Buell and his wife's honda for new bikes.  He buys her a Victory 8-ball (I almost bought one instead of the raider) and himself a one year old Nighttrain with VH  2-2 redius pipes and ECM upgrades.  He wouldn't even look at metrics or the triumph rocket III (which probably would be the best bike for him since he's 300lbs.  Says we want to buy American and that he doesn't need a ton of power.  I'm thinking, she drives a landrover, had a honda, and your restoring a POS Toyota Landcruiser rather than a jeep (which I drive).  We go for a ride and he immediately notices he can't keep up with the raider.  Its faster, sounds better/louder and handles the curves better.  His nighttrain pops & backfires more than any harley I've ever seen.  The wifes Victory breaks down 30mi into the ride (the 2nd time in 3 days).  We have to put her's in the back of a truck to get'er home.
          Back at their place, he gets a call from the Ironhorse guy mentioned above and I overhear him say "I can't f'ing keep up with the wife and don't even ask about that f'ing metric of Jimmy's."  Then he says  "Yeah I think I need to get a big engine kit."  If he'd have taken the time to actually think outside of HD he might not have wasted $15,000 on a bike that's gonna take another $5000 to catch my Raider.  I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. 

Kick Logic To The Curb!

WilCon

• Search police and general nuisance.
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 6
      « Reply #27 on: Jun 26, 2009, 10:03:47 pm »
      My last fun cruiser story like that is old. I ride with a lot of sport bike/ sport touring guys. I could have ridden to the inside of my buddy who rides a Ducati Monster many times. He stopped asking me to go.
      « Last Edit: Jun 26, 2009, 10:06:51 pm by WilCon »
      The above post is strictly the opinion of the poster, disregard as necessary.

If the above post is in RED then it was a moderator talking, you should pay attention.

cornfed biker

• Born Red and Corn fed
      • Warrior
      « Reply #28 on: Jun 26, 2009, 10:19:17 pm »
      Crap, I don't have a story yet, can someone loan me one of yours?
      GO BIG RED, ridin da Raider

SWomack

• Raider
      « Reply #29 on: Jun 26, 2009, 10:53:19 pm »
      Capt_Zoom
      Great stories brother.
      I love it.
      Once again these HD possers crack me up.
      I still have a true love for some Harley's but once again the Raider is the best bang for the buck in every area.
      Everytime I pull my bike somewhere and stand back, guys and gals just look it over and make great comments.
      I went for a cup of coffee at my local coffee house this morning and I had two girls say to me, beautiful bike.
      For once I think I would have to say that these women that know nothing about HD's or metrics just gave me a real compliment for only what they saw.  Not looking for a brands logo or anything else, they just liked the way the bike looked.  Very cool.  The word is getting out guys, even the HD snobs are saying yeah it has a 113ci V-Twin that can't be beat.  Are there some fast HD's out there, of corse there are but guys that are into speed will have to spend 4 to 6 grand to match what ours have right off of the showroom floor. If nothing else it is totally entertaining just listening to peoples remarks.  The Best Bang For The Buck Hands Down.
      Later
      Proud SoCal Raider Owner
      Swomack
      « Last Edit: Jun 26, 2009, 10:55:35 pm by SWomack »