Author Topic: Help removing the O2 Sensor Coupler  (Read 3988 times)

ikeyes

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Help removing the O2 Sensor Coupler
« on: Jul 22, 2011, 03:38:04 pm »
I see the little clip on the top that will disconnect the O2 sensor harness, but I need to completely remove it from that little metal bracket under the seat / fuse box so I can gain some cable play.  I am planning to remove the rear fender next, I just can't seem to get the thing to pop off and I feel like I am going to break it.  I already slightly bent the bracket which I can bend back, but I hate damaging things just because I can't figure out the proper way to do them... even if it takes me a lot longer I like knowing my bike can always be put back to stock form etc.

I need to get another 6"+ out of this thing to install the O2 sensor into my new pipes.  Anyways... if you have done this and have any insight please share.  Thanks!

It's about 103 and 70% dew point today here in southern NH so I'm not sure I'll be spending any time in the garage tonight... but maybe later if it cools down.  I might try and fit an AC unit in the garage window and close the bay door and see how that works too.  hehe

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ikeyes

• Road Star
    Re: Help removing the O2 Sensor Coupler
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2011, 03:42:54 pm »
    I heard back from SneakyPete and he said that he was able to do it by moving the wire as you suggested.

This morning I got up and headed out to the garage determined to get this done.  I removed the back fender, and once I could clearly see the O2 coupler bracket thing it was so obvious... but when you are looking at it from above it's just misleading.  The little pin I was pushing on when looking straight down on it wasn't doing anything.  It doesn't remove the O2 harness or the coupler from the bracket. 

Once I could see it clearly It popped right off and I was able to move the wire up and over the EXUP motor and then let it drop straight down... plenty of length!  I have since completed the install of the pipes, but I'll talk about that in another post.  Thanks for your help chillyraider, greatly appreciated.

Here's how much length you can gain from doing this, I am going to give my guy at Freedom Performance a call on Monday and let him know that they should definitely NOT be telling people to splice anything!

Before...

After...

ABJVS

• V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2021, 02:56:25 pm »
    How did you get the coupler to pop off. Does it slide forward, backward, up or out away from the bike.  Need the extra length for my Freedom Performance Combat 2 into 1 exhaust.

• Advertisement

Coldfinger

• Roadliner
      « Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2021, 05:09:04 pm »
      Awesome!  I think that tip would have helped me when I installed my VH 2-1.