Author Topic: Tachometers....again  (Read 7117 times)

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Tachometers....again
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2017, 05:04:05 pm »
👀  badass

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2017, 05:13:35 pm »
    👀  badass
    Thanks, I wanted to make it look as close to being "Original Equipment" as possible.  I wanted it dead center & as low as possible.  I drilled & tapped 2 mounting holes in my top bar clamp to secure the tach.  I love the look, gives that old school chopper feel with that tach mounted dead center.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2017, 05:43:29 pm »
    Hell Yeah Jason , looks sweet man!! good job !
    Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

• Advertisement

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2017, 05:58:08 pm »
      Hell Yeah Jason , looks sweet man!! good job !
      Thanks bro, to me that 3.5" tach is the perfect size.  I held 2" & 2.5" tachs up there, but they just seemed too small compared to the size of the speedo & the bike overall....better yet it comes in ALL CHROME....HaHa.  All the other tachs had just a chrome bezel & the rest was black.

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:36:30 pm »
      Hope it works out for you and u have no needle bounce. I sure would like to add it to my raider but I have 1 1/2" drag bars. I would need  a chrome clamp to mount it to my bars.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2017, 09:48:53 pm »
      Hope it works out for you and u have no needle bounce. I sure would like to add it to my raider but I have 1 1/2" drag bars. I would need  a chrome clamp to mount it to my bars.
      From what I read, the Bakers module should work with any tach.  It has 8 different settings you can switch between.  So I've got a 1 in 8 chance  ;D

Badbluraider

• Warrior
      « Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2017, 05:14:47 am »
      Yeah looks good. Let us know how it works out ;D

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2017, 05:57:15 am »
      From what I read, the Bakers module should work with any tach.  It has 8 different settings you can switch between.  So I've got a 1 in 8 chance  ;D

I hope you have better luck than I did.  I called Baker and they told me to get the TSD for the setup I had.  The tach still bounced.  Perhaps you will have better luck with the Auto adjusting model, it at least gives you choices.  Also you have a different tach, the problems here have been mostly with the Barons tach.  I will be very interested to see your outcome.  I hope it's a good one.  :fingerscrossed:

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2017, 08:12:57 pm »

I hope you have better luck than I did.  I called Baker and they told me to get the TSD for the setup I had.  The tach still bounced.  Perhaps you will have better luck with the Auto adjusting model, it at least gives you choices.  Also you have a different tach, the problems here have been mostly with the Barons tach.  I will be very interested to see your outcome.  I hope it's a good one.  :fingerscrossed:
      Yeah chrome, I hope it works out OK.  It seems the TACHS made for cars actually work better than TACHS made for bikes...HaHa.   So I set my tach for 4 cylinder mode, then set my Baker module for x4 & it should be dead on.  Basically that means it takes my single pulse & multiplies it by 4 to replicate a 4 cylinder engine pulse.  Should be spot on.  It seems more people have trouble with the TACHS designed specifically for 2 cylinders than anything.

anc1ent1

• Engage!
      • Road Star
      « Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2017, 09:19:45 am »

Yeah chrome, I hope it works out OK.  It seems the TACHS made for cars actually work better than TACHS made for bikes...HaHa.   So I set my tach for 4 cylinder mode, then set my Baker module for x4 & it should be dead on.  Basically that means it takes my single pulse & multiplies it by 4 to replicate a 4 cylinder engine pulse.  Should be spot on.  It seems more people have trouble with the TACHS designed specifically for 2 cylinders than anything.
      You nailed it,If it works I'll have the same setup up here in La Crosse WI. I have been dreaming of a tach that works and looks badass for my muscle bike ;D
      Live Free And Ride Hard

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:23:57 pm »

You nailed it,If it works I'll have the same setup up here in La Crosse WI. I have been dreaming of a tach that works and looks badass for my muscle bike ;D
      I'll be sure to let you know.  Its a pretty cheap (as far as bike tachs go) install.  I've got about $110 combined in the tach & Baker Module.  Then another $7 for chrome 1/4 x 28 button head bolts.  I already had the tap, but they're only like $5 at the store.  Then I ordered some 1/4" wire loom that looks like braided stainless line, was like $12 for 4 feet.  So as you can see, its kinda cheap when compared to $200+ for just a tach by itself. 

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:12:24 pm »

I'll be sure to let you know.  Its a pretty cheap (as far as bike tachs go) install.  I've got about $110 combined in the tach & Baker Module.  Then another $7 for chrome 1/4 x 28 button head bolts.  I already had the tap, but they're only like $5 at the store.  Then I ordered some 1/4" wire loom that looks like braided stainless line, was like $12 for 4 feet.  So as you can see, its kinda cheap when compared to $200+ for just a tach by itself.
      Hope it works flawlessly. Then I will need to figure out how to rig one up for my 1 1/2" drag bars. Anybody have ideas for a mount?

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:35:35 pm »
      If you let me see a pic of your bars & where you want the tach, I'm sure I can come up with something.

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2017, 08:13:15 pm »
      If you let me see a pic of your bars & where you want the tach, I'm sure I can come up with something.
      This is what I have to work with.

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2017, 08:16:24 pm by Clayton »

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2017, 09:35:25 pm »
      Looking at your bars a single center mount clamp would work good to secure it to the bars.  It shouldn't be too hard to find the right clamp (chrome) to either mount the tach directly to it, or use it to couple a mounting bracket specific to the tach.  The height of your bars look taller than stock, I would (if it were mine) mount the tach low as not to take away from the look of the bars.  I decided on the size of tach I wanted by cutting circles out of cardboard & holding them all over the bars in different locations to nail down where it would look best.  In your case with the bars being high with lots of space under & them, I'd opt for the tach being mounted under the center section of your bars, it would look good right there.  I think mounting the tach on top would be too high of a look with those bars.  Try the circle thing first, cut 1 like 2.0", 2.5" & 3.5" (which mine is) & hold them in different spots to see what you like first.  We can go from there after you decide on size.