Author Topic: Tachometers....again  (Read 7118 times)

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Tachometers....again
« Reply #30 on: Mar 08, 2017, 09:46:37 pm »
Ya I would like to go under the bars. Will try the carboard thing to figure out a size.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #31 on: Mar 08, 2017, 09:52:08 pm »
    Just a quick Google search, something like one of these.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    « Reply #32 on: Mar 08, 2017, 09:55:01 pm »
    Also, be mindful of the depth/length of the tach also. 

• Advertisement

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #33 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:20:03 am »
      Would like 2.5" tach.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #34 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:32:51 pm »
      Just my .02 Clayton and Jason... but I think on Clayton's bars I would drill and tap the back side of the bars and buy or fab up a bracket to hold the tach under the center of the bars.

I just think one single clamp around the center of the bars would not look as clean from a forward view of the bars , would look cleaner without anything clamped on IMO
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #35 on: Mar 09, 2017, 09:18:30 pm »
      Dave the problem with drilling & tapping the bars themselves is that all the wiring is internal.  You'd be taking a huge chance by drilling into them, even if you didn't hit the wires whike drilling & tapping, you'd run the risk of the wires rubbing on the screws over time.  Another thing is there's not enough meat in the bars to reliably tap to hold a mount.  That's why I suggested using a clamp type system for his tach mount. 

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #36 on: Mar 09, 2017, 10:18:30 pm »
      I would definitely want to use a clamp mount

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #37 on: Mar 10, 2017, 12:11:16 am »
      Dave the problem with drilling & tapping the bars themselves is that all the wiring is internal.  You'd be taking a huge chance by drilling into them, even if you didn't hit the wires whike drilling & tapping, you'd run the risk of the wires rubbing on the screws over time.  Another thing is there's not enough meat in the bars to reliably tap to hold a mount.  That's why I suggested using a clamp type system for his tach mount.

Good point about not enuf thickness for tap threads to hold... how about a nut well riveted in !

As far as the wires , I would prolly pull bars and wires and still drill for mount lol , but that's me ... either way having a tach would be worth the work no matter how you mount it I think :)
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #38 on: Mar 10, 2017, 07:51:21 am »

Good point about not enuf thickness for tap threads to hold... how about a nut well riveted in !

As far as the wires , I would prolly pull bars and wires and still drill for mount lol , but that's me ... either way having a tach would be worth the work no matter how you mount it I think :)
      It's just easier to deal with a clamp mount for his style of bars.  If he ever wanted to change tachs or take it off, he wouldn't have to fab up an entire new bracket or have holes in his bars.  For me it's not a big deal, I could always just buy another top clamp piece, but Clayton would be stuck with holes in his bars. 

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #39 on: Mar 10, 2017, 07:52:06 am »
      I would definitely want to use a clamp mount
      I agree, easiest to deal with.  Have decided on white face or black face tach ?

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #40 on: Mar 10, 2017, 08:13:10 am »
      White face guage

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
      • Raider
      « Reply #41 on: Mar 10, 2017, 08:15:44 am »
      Is the gauge u got waterproof?

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #42 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:32:22 pm »
      Is the gauge u got waterproof?
      Water & shock resistant.....the only gauges that are completely waterproof are the liquid filled gauges.  I'm sure if you get caught in the rain or wash your bike you'll be fine.  Even so, I plan on wrapping a plastic bag around it when I wash my bike. 

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #43 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:38:42 pm »
      White face guage
      I know white is a personal preference, but I've always found a white face gauge very hard to read in the daylight, especially with the sun at your back reflecting off that white gauge face.  Just something to think about also.  An easy test is to get a couple sheets of white printer paper, draw a clock face on it, then go outside with your back to the sun, hold the paper so the sunlight hits it directly & see how your eyes like trying to read it with the sun reflecting back at you off the white paper.  I know, easily remedied with sunglasses, but just try it & see.

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #44 on: Mar 14, 2017, 12:42:50 pm »
      I still like my digital tach. Easy to see day and night and keeps the dash uncluttered. I believe it's the first pic in my profile for anyone interested.