Author Topic: clutch lever adjustment  (Read 6255 times)

michael

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
clutch lever adjustment
« on: Aug 24, 2017, 07:28:10 pm »
 lots of riders are trying to find out a way to shorten the reach on their clutch lever . it engages as soon as you start the pull. i have found a way to not have the lever engage the hydraulic clutch until half way into the pull. if you take the lever off, there is a push rod pin  that is used to engage the clutch. you can take that pin out,grind it down about 1/8 inch. grind down the end that locks into the lever. not the rounded end that touches the hydraulic master cylinder.  the rubber boot can come out ,too. reinstall the pin and boot. then decide if you have shortened the pin enough  to suit  your tastes. i have used this process on two raiders. seems to work fine.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 2
    Re: clutch lever adjustment
    « Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2017, 07:41:57 pm »
    Pretty cool mod , my only worry would be with the shorter plunger rod it would not disengage the clutch basket fully?!

Does the clutch drag at all when you start it in gear ?
    Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

fingertight

• Roadliner
    « Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08:31:36 am »
    I prefer it to engage right away.  I tap the lever and it shifts.  Why is it that you would want a longer throw?
    2008 Yamaha Raider S
    2014 MV Agusta F4RR
    1982 Suzuki GS850L

• Advertisement

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2017, 12:56:12 pm »
      I prefer it to engage right away.  I tap the lever and it shifts.  Why is it that you would want a longer throw?

I was wondering the same thing...  :shrug: :shrug:
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2017, 01:15:32 pm by dreadly »

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2017, 02:12:20 pm »
      Same here - really like the way the clutch works

michael

• V Star
      « Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2017, 02:31:15 pm »
      i like having my clutch not engage until halfway. it makes the pressure on the clutch level less since i do not engage the clutch until i have more than just fingertips doing all of the work.  personal preference..     also, no, there is no slippage . i can feel the clutch engaged and i still have extra space before i get to the handlebar.  if this helps out one rider, i am good. thanks.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2017, 02:46:29 pm »
      I have no issues with the clutch lever.   Try a V-Star 650. Those clutches suck ass!

CHROMINATOR

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2017, 02:50:51 pm »
      Same here - really like the way the clutch works

Same, I have larger hands so I have more than just my finger tips on lever before I pull.  The pull is less than half and I can change gear going up or down without having to fully pull in the lever.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2017, 02:58:37 pm »
      i like having my clutch not engage until halfway. it makes the pressure on the clutch level less since i do not engage the clutch until i have more than just fingertips doing all of the work.  personal preference..     also, no, there is no slippage . i can feel the clutch engaged and i still have extra space before i get to the handlebar.  if this helps out one rider, i am good. thanks.
      Is there pressure on the lever when it  is all the way out to keep it from moving around? Just curious is all

CHROMINATOR

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2017, 03:01:11 pm »
      Is there pressure on the lever when it  is all the way out to keep it from moving around? Just curious is all

Dang Gary, that's a good question, I would think that the lever would be loose from all the way out until it hits the resistance he cut it down too.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2017, 03:25:10 pm »

Dang Gary, that's a good question, I would think that the lever would be loose from all the way out until it hits the resistance he cut it down too.
      That's what I was thinking too - we'll see

102~2~113

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2017, 07:33:22 pm »
      Wonder if the pins are sold separately, a range of pins may be good for drag racing.  Later engage, earlier dis.  Good way to adjust a non adjustable clutch.  Hitech post.

Sizzler

• V Star
      « Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2017, 08:21:49 pm »
      Just want to offer my experience with this. I replaced the levers on my Vmax and the non-adjustable clutch lever was slightly too far for my liking. I used a grinder to remove slightly more than an eight of an inch and reinstalled. It worked very nicely until I got caught in a lineup of cars on a long hill due to construction. When the clutch got too hot it became very hard to change gears as the clutch wasn't engaging fully.

No doubt it's not a raider but both clutch systems are very similar. Just wanted to share so if anyone decided to do this proceed with caution and take the smallest amoutn of hte length of the pin and go stress the clutch some to ensure it still works as you like :)

dreadly

• living the dream
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2017, 08:50:47 am »
      I've had to replace this pin because the clutch wasn't fully engaging ... not sure I understand this process

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2017, 11:08:00 am »
      Before modifying the pin I'd try to find a different clutch lever or even try to bend the stock lever