Author Topic: clutch lever adjustment  (Read 2108 times)

Mr Jones

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: clutch lever adjustment
« Reply #15 on: Jun 25, 2020, 03:11:52 am »
Before modifying the pin I'd try to find a different clutch lever or even try to bend the stock lever

Finally got my Raider road legal yesterday and look it for my first long ride. We have a lot of hills here with bendy twisty roads so you are changing gears a lot. My first “feet forward” bike and totally loved it but could not believe how stiff the clutch action was and towards the end of the ride I was starting to have arm pump. After reading this I checked and found that my clutch fully activates after the first 1/3 of the lever stroke. The remaining 2/3 of the stroke is just hard work for nothing. I followed Roadkill’s advice and just straightened the stock lever (wrapped in a towel, in a rubber jawed vice), so its closer to the hand grip and now only has just over half the stroke it had before. Clutch is waaay easier to activate and all your fingers are pulling together because they are all fully around the lever from the start of the stroke. A worthwhile mod for anyone who finds the clutch action heavy (or doesn’t have shovels for hands!).
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2020, 03:04:43 am by Mr Jones »
Raider
904 Bonneville
XR1200

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

FireNative

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    Re: clutch lever adjustment
    « Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2020, 11:33:12 am »
    Before modifying the pin I'd try to find a different clutch lever or even try to bend the stock lever

Finally got my Raider road legal yesterday and look it for my first long ride. We have a lot of hills here with bendy twisty roads so you are changing gears a lot. My first “feet forward” bike and totally loved it but could not believe how stiff the clutch action was and towards the end of the ride I was starting to have arm pump. After reading this I checked and found that my clutch fully activates after the first 1/3 of the lever stroke. The remaining 2/3 of the stroke is just hard work for nothing. I followed Roadkill’s advice and just straightened the stock lever (wrapped in a towel, in a rubber jawed vice), so its closer to the hand grip and now only has just over half the stroke it had before. Clutch is waaay easier to activate and all your fingers are pulling together because they are all fully around the lever from the start of the stroke. A worthwhile mod for anyone who finds the clutch action heavy.

Agreed i only pull back the clutch level back about 1/3 of the way then shift. Goes in smooth no teeth grinding sounds. Oh course you have to time the rpm by listening to make any shift smooth. I have stock unmodded levels and what i do is when i see a situaition where i may need to honk the horn and down shift or slow down i hover my thumb over the horn button and put my middle finger over the clutch level to be ready to grab it if necessary to pull it. Works great for me to be ready.
    « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2020, 11:37:18 am by FireNative »