Author Topic: Lifters....yet again  (Read 174299 times)

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Lifters....yet again
« Reply #570 on: Sep 17, 2019, 06:28:10 pm »
Have to bring this back up. Back from my 6500mi trip and got that klicking noise during the past 1000miles. It got louder and louder and during the oil change today I found some few metal bits in the drain pan. Bike has 24K mi now. Never had an issue before.
Would like to know if anyone has an manual how to change the lifters to share and what needs to be done. Do the ones from O Reilly still work.
My stealer is asking for 550$ to do the shop.
Any help much appreciated
Tell your stealer to contact Yamaha because it's a factory covered repair - never heard of anyone getting their lifters from O Reilly.

I think he's talking about the HT2011 lifters as replacements for the Yami lifters.  This is discussed on the Strat forum 

https://www.stratolinerdeluxe.com/technical-discussion/my-yamaha-lifters-are-pumped-solid/

Also discussed on this forum

https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=13666.msg1029234#msg1029234

Gonna give it a  try next time out...$8 per lifter
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2019, 06:29:55 pm by A.T. »

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    « Reply #571 on: Sep 17, 2019, 06:59:35 pm »
    Have to bring this back up. Back from my 6500mi trip and got that klicking noise during the past 1000miles. It got louder and louder and during the oil change today I found some few metal bits in the drain pan. Bike has 24K mi now. Never had an issue before.
    Would like to know if anyone has an manual how to change the lifters to share and what needs to be done. Do the ones from O Reilly still work.
    My stealer is asking for 550$ to do the shop.
    Any help much appreciated
    Tell your stealer to contact Yamaha because it's a factory covered repair - never heard of anyone getting their lifters from O Reilly.

I think he's talking about the HT2011 lifters as replacements for the Yami lifters.  This is discussed on the Strat forum 

https://www.stratolinerdeluxe.com/technical-discussion/my-yamaha-lifters-are-pumped-solid/

Also discussed on this forum

https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=13666.msg1029234#msg1029234

Gonna give it a  try next time out...$8 per lifter
    If he has an 09 that has the bad lifters it should still be covered by Yamaha

Lulu

• Road Star
    « Reply #572 on: Sep 17, 2019, 07:54:31 pm »
    My bike is a 2014, thought she would be safe but obviously something went bad. Post no. 567 mentioned lifters from O Reilly.
    Is there anyone with a 2014bike who had these issues ?

• Advertisement

Lulu

• Road Star
      « Reply #573 on: Oct 02, 2019, 07:20:46 pm »
      Got my bike back. All lifters replaced, new gaskets washers total up to 330$ in parts. Add 4hrs of labor and it's a little North of 900 all in. I can hear a little ticking for a few seconds after starting the engine which should go away after first 50-100 miles. Lifters not properly filled with oil, some air left into them.
      Bike runs very different, much smoother and provides the power more linear.
      Will go riding over the weekend and report back.

RickC

• V Star
      « Reply #574 on: Dec 09, 2019, 01:46:29 pm »
      I just recently purchased an 09 with 34k miles on it.  New to the bike.  Wondering what the lifters would sound like when they start going out.  At cold start, she purrs quiet.  After I have been riding a while she does develop a tick that hits about the same rate the exhaust hits.  Not really that loud, but noticeable.  Just wondering if this is a sign of the lifter issue.  I know most Yamahas tick.  This is the 5th different Yamaha I've owned.  Loudest motor was a Road Star(always sounded like it was about to rattle apart), and quietest was a FZ07, but they all ticked.  At 34k miles I thought it could just need a valve/rocker adjustment, but figured I better ask.

Rick
      Garland, TX

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #575 on: Dec 09, 2019, 02:11:55 pm »
      Search Youtube for Raider lifter noise...it's more than a tick

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #576 on: Dec 09, 2019, 02:19:27 pm »
      I just recently purchased an 09 with 34k miles on it.  New to the bike.  Wondering what the lifters would sound like when they start going out.  At cold start, she purrs quiet.  After I have been riding a while she does develop a tick that hits about the same rate the exhaust hits.  Not really that loud, but noticeable.  Just wondering if this is a sign of the lifter issue.  I know most Yamahas tick.  This is the 5th different Yamaha I've owned.  Loudest motor was a Road Star(always sounded like it was about to rattle apart), and quietest was a FZ07, but they all ticked.  At 34k miles I thought it could just need a valve/rocker adjustment, but figured I better ask.

Rick
      Garland, TX
      the Raider has a  noisy motor but you well know if its a lifter tick its pretty loud
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

RickC

• V Star
      « Reply #577 on: Dec 09, 2019, 04:15:30 pm »
      That's the same tick, but way quieter, and only does it once it gets good and hot.  Cold it's quiet.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #578 on: Dec 09, 2019, 06:31:08 pm »
      When a lifter starts to go bad,it will cause a loud knock (more like a TOCK that a tick) at engine startup that disappears after a few seconds. And it gets worse over time.
      If one of your lifters ever goes bad,you'll know. Trust me. It's pretty loud.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

RickC

• V Star
      « Reply #579 on: Mar 30, 2020, 05:35:16 pm »
      So I'm up to 38.5k miles now.  At startup, everything still purrs.  After it gets good and hot though, there is definitely a tock noise that you notice at idle coming from the right side of the engine.  More noticeable now than at 34k miles.  Idle definitely gets a little rougher when it kicks in also.  Really starting to wonder about the lifters.  Mind you I'm sure this bike has probably never had a valve adjustment.  I think the guy who had it before me only ever changed the oil.  Plugs looked like they had been in there since mile 1 when I got it at 34k miles. 

Bike is Ivan ECU tuned with K&N(open lid), and Cobra Swept. 

AlanSmith7

• V Star
      « Reply #580 on: Feb 23, 2023, 07:30:01 am »
      Is that true? I have near heard this before from anyone. What's your reaction after watching this? I think you might be a big fan of Yamaha.