Author Topic: Lifters....yet again  (Read 174288 times)

stocking_eater

Re: Lifters....yet again
« Reply #240 on: Jun 16, 2010, 05:05:54 am »
Any updates on this Stocking Eater?

When I brought mine in last time I mentioned to the service manager that MN Lemon Law is 4 times for the same problem and that I was thinking a new engine would about make things alright if this doesn't take care of it ...

Long story short he ordered 2 sets of lifters last fall when mine went out - thinking then he'd have them on hand in case another Raider they'd sold had the same problem.  Yamaha never told him to send the other set back ... so when I brought mine in the 2nd time, that set of lifters went in from last fall - and both were from bad stock.  This time Yamaha sent him a fresh-off-the-line set of lifters + threw in my 4K mile oil & filter change and said they guarantee there won't be a problem with the lifters a 4th time.  I think he shared with them how serious I was that this was the LAST time I was going to bring it in to have this same problem fixed.

talked to two dealers, they both said for me to go on my trip because nether one would have it repaired befor i go on the 18 of june. bring her in when i get back. as long she pumps up the lifter--ride her this week end. il update when we get back and she go's in the shop

BTW mine has a mfg date of 10/08, for those who are trying to figure out a pattern for this problem.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

stocking_eater

« Reply #241 on: Jun 23, 2010, 06:30:08 am »
    made our trip to eureka springs this past weekend and it was great. but them lifters gave me fits. 10-15 mint. or 10 miles whitch ever came first befor  they would pump up. very embarrassing when i when i went to start her up around other bikes. on the way home it got worse. 145 miles of clanking and hitting on one cylinder, and to top it off my front wheel slinging grease out of its bearings. the lifter finally pumped up but she still had about the half the power. made it home after the 7 hours of riding and 245 miles. was so afraid that the wheel would lock up and me and wife would eat pavement. took her to the dealer for a tear down yesterday. il post the findings when i know. by the way, the tech says the raider do not have a  oil pressure switch! you can lose all oil pressure or all the oil and it will still run. burn up but still run. hell my 4 wheeler has a oil pressure switch! for safety..       

stocking_eater

« Reply #242 on: Jun 26, 2010, 06:25:47 am »
    up date.... my dealer called me friday afternoon and said they have her torn down and they are going to replace lifters, cam, and push rods. and one rocker arm, the one the bad lifter beat the hell out of. have to order all parts. be a week at least. I want her home :'(

• Advertisement

JazzyzGurl

• Warrior
      • Referrals: 1
        • SCRC Chapter 171
      « Reply #243 on: Jun 26, 2010, 08:31:17 am »
      Hopefully the bike won't be out of commission very long - and that this will take care of the problem.

Metric

• Roadliner
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #244 on: Jun 26, 2010, 08:11:46 pm »
      I feel for you...mine was down almost 3 weeks for lifters
      SEMPER FI  " welcome home" combat vets

stocking_eater

« Reply #245 on: Jul 03, 2010, 05:35:18 am »
      Got my baby home from the shop Friday!!! my dealer in hot springs arkansas says its "official" there is a RECALL on the lifters. he replaced all 4 and one was bad. she runs so much stronger now. I dident think to ask them if it was just the 09 mod. or what. when i first took her in he dident know of any prob. with the raider lifters till he called Yamaha and they told him to order extra lifters for the units they have sold and for the 09 they still have on the sales floor.

Fasthotrod

• Road Star
      « Reply #246 on: Jul 31, 2010, 04:49:19 pm »
      Here's a video I shot with my iPhone. The lifters don't pump up for about 30 seconds or so, then she purrs like a kitten. 

It sounds nasty at first... but thankfully she was fixed under warranty and is good to go now.   :thumbs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22947517@N07/4846267328/

Hope this helps.

Mark

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #247 on: Jul 31, 2010, 05:49:24 pm »
      Here's a video I shot with my iPhone. The lifters don't pump up for about 30 seconds or so, then she purrs like a kitten. 

It sounds nasty at first... but thankfully she was fixed under warranty and is good to go now.   :thumbs:

Hope this helps.

Mark

That's the best video/audio I've seen so far of the lifter problem.  Nice work.  Dang that's loud.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

dchertz

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 3
      « Reply #248 on: Aug 05, 2010, 05:36:46 pm »
      My lifters are being replaced on monday!!!!  Thanks for the video!

MrWrench

• Road Star
      « Reply #249 on: Aug 26, 2010, 10:37:58 pm »
      my 2010 raider s with less than 400miles on it is doing the same damn thing warm or cold!!!  :-[ i hate to give it to the shop but looks like im gonna have to! baw humbug!
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 10:39:44 pm by MrWrench »

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #250 on: Aug 27, 2010, 07:09:04 am »
      my 2010 raider s with less than 400miles on it is doing the same damn thing warm or cold!!!  :-[ i hate to give it to the shop but looks like im gonna have to! baw humbug!

Wow.... this is the first 2010 model that I've heard of.  It's only been a problem with "some" of the 09's. 

Let us know what you find out.

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #251 on: Aug 27, 2010, 08:20:31 am »
      bummer...I thought it was isolated to the 09's
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

pdaven

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #252 on: Aug 27, 2010, 02:11:18 pm »

Hope this helps.

Mark

Good video/audio of this problem.

MrWrench

• Road Star
      « Reply #253 on: Aug 30, 2010, 01:49:35 am »
      took my 2010 to the shop and they called yamaha and was told to order 2 lifters sight unseen! waiting on the parts then gonna make an appointment! hopefully this will get cleared up asap!

Floridaliner

• Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #254 on: Aug 30, 2010, 10:00:27 am »
       Someone should contact Patrick Racing and see what brand and part number lifters will fit in our motor.
       They supply a set of lifters with thier Warrior cam kit, if what Violator said that the lifters are the same, than this would be an option to the Yamaha Lifter crisis.

http://www.patrickracingbillet.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Racing_Parts&Product_Code=3044&Category_Code=Yamaha_Cam_Kits

If you see this big white race striped Rhinoceros comin at ya, ya might want to scooch over