Author Topic: Lifters....yet again  (Read 174295 times)

silverstreak

Re: Lifters....yet again
« Reply #390 on: Jun 25, 2011, 06:57:47 pm »
Hi all,  new guy here. i just purchased a 2010 raider (mfg 6-2009) and after 165 miles from zero miles off showroom floor the front lifters started this noise. took about 4 miles to get it to clear as i drove it to the dealer to make note of it. As i go to leave i start it and ensure its cleared but it had drained out in the 15 minutes it sat. So i had the tech come out and listen to it, he heard it and is going to replace all of the lifters under warranty. No questions asked no hassle no cost to me. I read this thread before i bought and was keeping an ear out for it but i had the gremlin. Good thing is that the gremlin is going to be removed. 

I also noticed about 20-30 less power during and after the lifter started its fit so it has failed and not doing its valve lifting job like it should. Other than this known issue, i LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!  did 150 miles the first day i had it and not a bit of pain or discomfort while riding. Now to start the mod process.!!!!   

Note, the clacking was exactly the same as the video posted above. It started as a slight tick barely noticeable but then opened right up and noise and not as a gradual thing but like a on off switch.

randy

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Gungod

• Raider
    • V Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #391 on: Jun 25, 2011, 07:49:59 pm »
    I just recently purchased my 09 raider in apr and came to find out that it had a setof litters replaced by the dealer.  It had 4060 mi on it when I bought it, now I have almost 7000 mi.  So far no bad knocking, hope the other ones don't go bad.  Good thing is the guy I got it from got the extended warranty.
    Keep your head on a swivel!

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #392 on: Jun 25, 2011, 07:59:58 pm »
    Those of you who have recently experienced the lifter issue....can you go back to the original lifter thread (look for the one with the most pages) and add yourself to the poll that's trying to track the stats by the year of bike.  Thx.
    Kick Logic To The Curb!

• Advertisement

jacknife

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Raider
      « Reply #393 on: Jun 25, 2011, 08:05:47 pm »
      Hi all,  new guy here. i just purchased a 2010 raider (mfg 6-2009) and after 165 miles from zero miles off showroom floor the front lifters started this noise. took about 4 miles to get it to clear as i drove it to the dealer to make note of it. As i go to leave i start it and ensure its cleared but it had drained out in the 15 minutes it sat. So i had the tech come out and listen to it, he heard it and is going to replace all of the lifters under warranty. No questions asked no hassle no cost to me. I read this thread before i bought and was keeping an ear out for it but i had the gremlin. Good thing is that the gremlin is going to be removed. 

I also noticed about 20-30 less power during and after the lifter started its fit so it has failed and not doing its valve lifting job like it should. Other than this known issue, i LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!  did 150 miles the first day i had it and not a bit of pain or discomfort while riding. Now to start the mod process.!!!!   

Note, the clacking was exactly the same as the video posted above. It started as a slight tick barely noticeable but then opened right up and noise and not as a gradual thing but like a on off switch.

randy
      Exactly the way it should be taken care of,glad to hear of no hassle!
      The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything!
      At the end its not the years in your Life that count, Its the Life in your years!

silverstreak

« Reply #394 on: Jun 25, 2011, 08:56:11 pm »
      Those of you who have recently experienced the lifter issue....can you go back to the original lifter thread (look for the one with the most pages) and add yourself to the poll that's trying to track the stats by the year of bike.  Thx.

will do sir!

blaine563

• 2009 Silver Raider
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #395 on: Jun 25, 2011, 09:35:36 pm »
      Here is the link to the lifter poll.  :)

https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=2354.0

"Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight"

EZRaider

• Purplish Blue Metallic 2010 Raider S
      • Warrior
      « Reply #396 on: Jun 26, 2011, 07:37:40 am »
      Hey Capt Zoom,

I noticed that poll doesn't go beyond 2009 model years.
      I know I've seen a few 2010 lifter problems here (not me).
      Is anyone going to update they poll to include the more
      current years?
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body.  But, rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting "Man,what a ride!" - George Carlin

SEA-ROAR MEMBER

ikeyes

• Road Star
      « Reply #397 on: Jun 26, 2011, 08:55:57 am »
      I put my vote in on the poll.  Talked to the dealer yesterday, parts should be in midweek and I should have the bike by the weekend or sooner.

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #398 on: Jun 26, 2011, 10:23:10 am »
      Hey Capt Zoom,

I noticed that poll doesn't go beyond 2009 model years.
      I know I've seen a few 2010 lifter problems here (not me).
      Is anyone going to update they poll to include the more
      current years?

Not sure but it would be nice if the admins created a new first post for that thread and update the poll.  I would think that most '09 owners have had the problem if they are going to have it.  To me the poll is helpful for the person buying '09-11 bikes new or used.   I'm actually surprised that the totals are as low as they are for the problem.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

ikeyes

• Road Star
      « Reply #399 on: Jul 03, 2011, 12:41:21 pm »
      So the weekend came... no word from the dealer.  I called yesterday and found out that the service manager is now on vacation for the next week...  I tried to get a hold of someone in service but they never picked up the phone and when I asked someone out front to go back there they came back to the phone and said "they have a ton of people and can't come to the phone right now."

I called back again and asked to speak to my salesman, he never called me back.  I called and asked for the sales manager, he couldn't come to the phone and was told he would call me back ASAP... never happened.  I called back again a few hours later, asked for the owner and was told "he just left for the day..."

Not impressed... and now they won't be open again until Tuesday.   :banghead:

109rfan

• Road Star
      « Reply #400 on: Jul 03, 2011, 12:53:41 pm »
      if i got that treatemnt id go down to the place and make a scene    make sure every prospective customer saw how i was treated
      big radius 2 into 2 cobra gen 2 power pro ness mirrors kury control covers with chrome levers kury belt gard jpd bomber chrome engine kit joe florida leds kury chome plate kit  danny gray big seats  yamaha quick detachable short backrest

blaine563

• 2009 Silver Raider
      • Roadliner
      « Reply #401 on: Jul 03, 2011, 07:01:58 pm »
      So the weekend came... no word from the dealer.  I called yesterday and found out that the service manager is now on vacation for the next week...  I tried to get a hold of someone in service but they never picked up the phone and when I asked someone out front to go back there they came back to the phone and said "they have a ton of people and can't come to the phone right now."

I called back again and asked to speak to my salesman, he never called me back.  I called and asked for the sales manager, he couldn't come to the phone and was told he would call me back ASAP... never happened.  I called back again a few hours later, asked for the owner and was told "he just left for the day..."

Not impressed... and now they won't be open again until Tuesday.   :banghead:

Definitely need a face to face with that owner! :fired: Do you have any nearby dealers you could switch to? I think they just earned your loyalty - TO SOMEONE ELSE! Sucks man! >:(

"Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight"

Capt_Zoom

• Raider
      « Reply #402 on: Jul 03, 2011, 10:28:07 pm »
      I'd go down there and raise some major hell!  Threaten to contact the BBB and your state attorneys office if they go over the timeline they stated.  Nobody should be giving a customer that kind of run-around.
      Kick Logic To The Curb!

silverstreak

« Reply #403 on: Jul 04, 2011, 11:38:22 am »
      Hey everyone, i am still waiting for parts to come in to get mine fixed at the dealer, they could have next day aired the parts but i guess that is too much to ask. My big question is, when everyone who experienced the lifter issue, did you also notice a reduction in power output? i noticed a good %30 reduction as i presume with the valves not actuated fully it would cause a rich scenario and the ecu would defuel to get its set a/f ratio. does this make sense to everyone?

Veego

« Reply #404 on: Jul 04, 2011, 01:32:57 pm »
      Was listening for the lifter problem but didn't hear what I considered to be lifter noise. With the fairing on I did hear som odd noises that I didn't hear before installing it so I figure it's either an "echo" bouncing off the fairing or the reduction in windnoise is allowing me to hear more engine noise.

But I also put on 2300 miles over the period of a few days riding Xcntry and I'm thinking maybe I honed them in by riding that far. Probably false thinking since once they're pumped up then they should stay that way and the inner portion of the lifter shouldn't be moving too much in relation to the outer part of the lifter. We'll see how it goes next year.