Author Topic: Lifters....yet again  (Read 174300 times)

MELVILLE

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Lifters....yet again
« Reply #45 on: Aug 01, 2009, 02:06:32 pm »
So far I only have 734 mi. on the bike. Sometimes on cold starts They make a crazy racket but only for quick second.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

510raider

• V Star
    « Reply #46 on: Aug 01, 2009, 06:13:27 pm »
    I had one lifter go bad at 400 miles. Dealer air freighted a new one in so I could make a trip I planned. Then two weeks later they called me and said yamaha wants all lifters replaced even if they are not making noise.  So I have had all lifters changed  out at under 1000 miles. Now at 2500 miles I am getting start up clacks just like the first one. Dealer wants me to leave bike with them to check it out, fine with me I am nervous about all these issues with a new bike. Anyone else have his????

RAIDERIDER

« Reply #47 on: Aug 04, 2009, 07:41:32 am »
    Iam getting at start up a slight clacking sound but only for a second & then its gone , its almost like the oil needs to flow through . I dont like the sound at start up but it purrs nice after that , iam hoping its normal engine noise.

• Advertisement

510raider

• V Star
      « Reply #48 on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:48:38 pm »
      Just dropped my bike off at the dealer. They heard it on start up clacking.  They called Yamaha and were told that some of the bad lifters were being sent out to dealers for replacement. Then they said they would send four more out to replace my lifters again. I have no complaints even though this is annoying the dealer and yamaha have been great to me. 

WilCon

• Search police and general nuisance.
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 6
      « Reply #49 on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:49:53 pm »
      Stupid thread had me paranoid. I was hearing a reverb from the Cobra Dragsters, the pulse had just the right sound in helmet. Grrr.
      The above post is strictly the opinion of the poster, disregard as necessary.

If the above post is in RED then it was a moderator talking, you should pay attention.

SWomack

• Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #50 on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:54:51 pm »
      Yamaha wants to get it right for you now you just need to make sure that your dealer does their part.

wingnuut

« Reply #51 on: Aug 18, 2009, 06:34:01 pm »
      Picked up my 09 raider and at 60 miles it sounded like a diesel their tearing it apart today will see what happens Yamaha said they are having probs with lifters

BLACKCHROMEDSPOKES

• Raider
      « Reply #52 on: Aug 19, 2009, 10:42:56 am »
      Picked up my 09 raider and at 60 miles it sounded like a diesel their tearing it apart today will see what happens Yamaha said they are having probs with lifters

Lets hope that all things are fine. Its a damn shame that things like this are happening to new units.

Keep the faith brother, If something is wrong it will get taken care of.....

;D
       THE ORIGINAL

SWomack

• Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #53 on: Aug 19, 2009, 01:03:27 pm »
      I think that now since I have a couple of contacts at Yamaha's corporate office I should ask them about the issues with these lifters and try to get some answers on their plan for the fix.  I will get back and do a post once I get back some real answers.
      Swomack

BLACKCHROMEDSPOKES

• Raider
      « Reply #54 on: Aug 19, 2009, 01:06:35 pm »
      I think that now since I have a couple of contacts at Yamaha's corporate office I should ask them about the issues with these lifters and try to get some answers on their plan for the fix.  I will get back and do a post once I get back some real answers.
      Swomack

Mr. Swomack,

That would be great if you would do that for us. Maybe Yami is planning a recall?
       THE ORIGINAL

Geebop

« Reply #55 on: Aug 19, 2009, 01:38:21 pm »
      Cool of ya Swo, It well be nice to know if they just want to do a re-call.

Snakestang65

« Reply #56 on: Aug 20, 2009, 08:10:21 am »
      My bike is in getting the lifters replaced after only 130 miles...  Should get the bike back tomorrow!  Just in time for a nice weekend... 

There is no mistaking the issue when it occurs.  It is not a slight tapping... It is a solid knock that goes away after the oil pressure comes up.  Once the oil pressure comes up, it takes about 3 to 4 hours for the lifter to leak back down for the problem to re-occur. 

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #57 on: Aug 20, 2009, 08:35:57 am »
      My bike is in getting the lifters replaced after only 130 miles...  Should get the bike back tomorrow!  Just in time for a nice weekend... 

There is no mistaking the issue when it occurs.  It is not a slight tapping... It is a solid knock that goes away after the oil pressure comes up.  Once the oil pressure comes up, it takes about 3 to 4 hours for the lifter to leak back down for the problem to re-occur. 

At least it was a quick turn around.   Hopefully, this issue will not arise again.

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

wingnuut

« Reply #58 on: Aug 20, 2009, 06:45:29 pm »
      I was told on 8-19 that there were no lifters in the USA they said by 8-21 they should arrive in cypress calf. then air ship 4 lifters to my dealer. i had 1 bad lifter yamaha said to replace them all

hickninshaw

• Road Star
      « Reply #59 on: Aug 20, 2009, 09:45:47 pm »
      sounds like they are at least going to start replacing all lifters in the engine on an as fails basis anyway that's good. better than a total recall. at least that way you don't have to down your bike and have the engine torn into for nothing wrong. one thing i've learned is that if it ain't broke don't F*(k with it, it opens up the opertunity for mistakes.