Author Topic: Porting and polishing  (Read 21195 times)

Paladin

• Roadliner
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Porting and polishing
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:37:25 pm »
;D   no no .   he is good   

you want to wash down your new rings before they seat ?    you dont ride over 3000rpm for break in.

This guy has built lots of motors.  He I a retired Navy aviation mech, he put thousands of lives in the sky on his motor knowledge.  I stand behind him.   

I know what I'm dong and he knows what he's doing.    We had a long talk about internet chat.  I just came on here to sell my PC5, should have left it that way.     :-X
"I just came on here to sell my PC5, should have left it that way."

Yes, you should have.   
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2011, 12:58:41 pm by Paladin »
Do not fear the night, fear what hunts at night.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

dreadly

• living the dream
    • Global Moderator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:59:45 pm »
     :poke:

Matt St. John

• Come and get some.
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 5
    « Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2011, 01:07:28 pm »
    ;D   no no .   he is good   

you want to wash down your new rings before they seat ?    you dont ride over 3000rpm for break in.

This guy has built lots of motors.  He I a retired Navy aviation mech, he put thousands of lives in the sky on his motor knowledge.  I stand behind him.   

I know what I'm dong and he knows what he's doing.    We had a long talk about internet chat.  I just came on here to sell my PC5, should have left it that way.     :-X
    "I just came on here to sell my PC5, should have left it that way."

Yes, you should have.   

Jeeez pally. I thought you guys had all ur shiat worked out.

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2011, 01:52:38 pm »
      Most of this is way over my head, but that article descriptively illustrated what all is involved and helped me understand it.  Nice article.

TheOhiomike

• Road Star
      « Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:28:32 pm »
      The only ports on yamaha's I like to do is the exhaust ports,,

snarley bill

• V Star
      « Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2011, 02:32:04 pm »
      I will never waste my money on porting and polishing again. I paid $1000 to have my Buell heads done.  I had bigger valves installed as well as better springs. That was just for the machine work.  They were beautiful-a work of art.  I probably spent over $2k after labor and dyno time.  The result? 1.5 HP.  I was like you got to be f'in kidding me. What i didn't mention up front is that the shop that did the labor/dyno told me I was wasting my money when I told them I was going to send the heads out. Never again. The mfg's actuall know what they are doing.
      i have been building race motors and porting heads most of my life. that is a very good article. the flow bench is a good starting point but leaves the stopping, and starting of the fuel, and air mixture, do to opening and closure of the valves, out of the equation. the only way to really check the gain or loss in porting is dino runs shooting for the maximum hp. and torque, in the rpm range the engine will be used in. cam duration, displacement, bore and stroke ratios, and type of duty the engine will be used for must be taken into consideration. a good street porting job includes rounding sharp corners, matching the ports to manifolds,and a good multiangle valve job. polishing is fine in supercharged motors, but a waste for the street. theory says, rough intake ports help to atomize the mixture on low rpm normally asperated motors. most of the new bikes have really nice ports from the factory, but have a slight margin for improvement. the big gain is in a multi angle or radius seat valve job with a back angle cut on the valve. it gives the effect of more valve lift. i would'nt expect much more than about a 3 hp. gain on a liner with a super porting and valve job. the thing that hurts the liner for big power gains is the camshaft and rev limit. i don't think the lower end will take 7000 rpm. but the engine would be easily capable of it. my prostreet warrior with patrick racing pistons, speedstar cams, v&h propipe, my special heads, and custom mapped pciii would bang the limiter so fast you almost had no time to shift it in the lowergears. it still had another 1500 rpm left that i could'nt use. there was no way to beat the limiter back then. i'm going to leave my liner alone cuz i'm just to old to go fast anymore. besides my last fast bike was a z-x 14 dragbike. after a ride like that the liner would feel like a slug no matter what i did to it. it feels great the way it is. a little more power is awful tempting. lol.

bamf

• I don't have nothing to say about myself, Thunder.
      • Warrior
      « Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:39:33 pm »
      Sorry, Charlie.  I built my fair share of motors and tweaked more'n a few.  And I never met a set of stock ass factory heads on a car that didn't benefit from some port and polish work.  The trick is to match your intake to it and get a cam that makes use of it.  Flow bench is good for after you open 'em up a bit, it'll help you select the right cam.

This article sounds like its some kinda voodoo.  Its pretty simple to massage a few more horses out of stock heads.  We're not building NASCARs here, we're just looking for more power.  Yes, if you hog 'em too much you'll lose too much velocity and cause all sorts of awful problems.  However, NO, you're not going to have this happen to you with any kind of 'street' work done to stock heads.  Just so long as you match the rest of your top end to the new flow numbers.
      The open road! The wind on my face! I'll go from city to city - rrroooew, rroooew, rrrrrooooooooew! Everyone looking at me: "who's that guy?" "He must be tough." Rrooew, rrooew, rrooew, rrrrroooooooew! I'll have my girl on the back seat holding on to my fat belly. Sure, she's missing a few teeth, but she thinks I'm cool.

Floridaliner

• Raider
      « Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2011, 06:00:51 am »
       Matt and I are good freinds and he knows what I am doing all through this build.  We keep each other posted through texting mostley to keep out controversy. I have carfully chosen all my mechanics/parts/machinists info and I have built some motors too. Paladin knows his stuff too. We had a little issue over a ring set, but that is water under the bridge in my book. 

If you guys choose to run your new build to redline on a dyno and then run a permanant a/f mix immediatly, then do it, I dont care.  Feel free to come back and talk about your blown gaskets and poorly sealed rings too. 

Like I said, this is the internet and lots of talk happens here, good and bad info too. 

Smart remarks and insults are a way of life on internet forums. All of my machinists just about swung at me when I mentioned the internet.   ;D  they despise the internet forums. To them this is a opinionated bunch of malarky. 

Yo guys know what I have done for this build and the controversy behind it. Totally rediculous  to say the least. I did the internet postings to let you guys know that this can be done without following the preset standards of ONE company.  Yet, now I would just suggest using that particular company. There is not enough interest or want/willfulness to be a hot rodder among us.

I have the STREET PORT done and a full serdi valve seat, my motor is powerfull, all 3 hp.  :rotfl:

If you see this big white race striped Rhinoceros comin at ya, ya might want to scooch over

v8_vega

• Ride like your invisible!
      • Warrior
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:01:04 am »
      I think we can all agree, everyone has their own opinions.

Mine I have just learned to keep to myself on here. Doesn't matter what I think.

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:41:44 am »
      I think we can all agree, everyone has their own opinions.

Mine I have just learned to keep to myself on here. Doesn't matter what I think.

Hey buddy... yes, everyone does have an opinion and their opinion is welcomed on this site (including yours -  ;D )

I draw the line when it becomes a personal attack. If a member should start to demean/abase another member, then I will make sure they know (via PM) that that is not acceptable.  If it continues, I will suspend their account for awhile. 

As far a porting goes.... if it doesn't have something to do with adapting software, I'm already lost.   :rotfl:

And... as long as I have chrome polish... I can do as much polishing as the next guy.   ;D
      « Last Edit: Nov 16, 2011, 09:48:39 am by Mr. T »

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

snarley bill

• V Star
      « Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:18:12 am »
      Matt and I are good freinds and he knows what I am doing all through this build.  We keep each other posted through texting mostley to keep out controversy. I have carfully chosen all my mechanics/parts/machinists info and I have built some motors too. Paladin knows his stuff too. We had a little issue over a ring set, but that is water under the bridge in my book. 

If you guys choose to run your new build to redline on a dyno and then run a permanant a/f mix immediatly, then do it, I dont care.  Feel free to come back and talk about your blown gaskets and poorly sealed rings too. 

Like I said, this is the internet and lots of talk happens here, good and bad info too. 

Smart remarks and insults are a way of life on internet forums. All of my machinists just about swung at me when I mentioned the internet.   ;D  they despise the internet forums. To them this is a opinionated bunch of malarky. 

Yo guys know what I have done for this build and the controversy behind it. Totally rediculous  to say the least. I did the internet postings to let you guys know that this can be done without following the preset standards of ONE company.  Yet, now I would just suggest using that particular company. There is not enough interest or want/willfulness to be a hot rodder among us.

I have the STREET PORT done and a full serdi valve seat, my motor is powerfull, all 3 hp.  :rotfl:

i have been following your build. sounds like you did it right. in fact i was contemplating the same build. finally decided to leave it stock. a guy has to decide sooner or later to act his age. at 69 years, i'm just getting to old to go fast anymore. the only thing i question is the extreme power gains you claim, seat of the pants. i could see that with nitrous. it takes extreme hp. to smoke the tire in rollons in any gear over low gear. my built v-max would do it in low gear with ease but not in any other gear on a roll on. winter is here and i have to fix a rear rocker box oil leak. no telling what else might happen to my motor in my shop. i may get that call for more power.

Floridaliner

• Raider
      « Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »
      just got the call !   105/140 even   ;D   yehaaaaa I hit my mark !!!   tuner said its a rocket   O8O
      If you see this big white race striped Rhinoceros comin at ya, ya might want to scooch over

oops

• Road Star
      « Reply #27 on: Nov 16, 2011, 05:11:39 pm »
      Great numbers...Congrats!
      In life you never know what's around the next curve.

Floridaliner

• Raider
      « Reply #28 on: Nov 16, 2011, 05:59:21 pm »
       ;D thanks Oops

Lestat

• Road Star
      « Reply #29 on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:24:19 pm »
      Nice numbers. Congrats!!!