Author Topic: Keyless options  (Read 2764 times)

Flipper

• SEA-ROAR Member
  • Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
    • JW Publishing Corp
Keyless options
« on: Mar 14, 2018, 07:37:23 pm »
Talking with Todd (69quadracer) today about keyless ignition options.  Who was the guy that had one besides going with Guard Dawd?

Flipper
Stealth Bike

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

PhysicsDude55

• You see a motorcycle. I see a blank canvas.
    • Roadliner
      • My website of things I own and have created.
    Re: Keyless options
    « Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2018, 09:55:50 pm »
    I tried to retrofit a COBRA alarm/remote start system.  Well, I did successfully do it, but it didn't really work that well due to how car remote start systems are designed.

I think the only realistic option is the Digital Guard Dog, not to mention its so freaking easy to install.  If you tried to hack on another system you'd have to spend 8 hours with the tank off splicing wires.
    260 Rear Tire, Freedom Curves exhaust, DIY BAK, DIY integrated turn signals, DIY sidemount plate.  More to come.

Flipper

• SEA-ROAR Member
    • Warrior
      • JW Publishing Corp
    « Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2018, 10:35:21 pm »
    Thanks I thought someone already had a plug and play system besides DGD. 

Oh Well Will see what options I have with moving the ignition switch then.

Flipper
    Stealth Bike

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2018, 12:28:03 am »
      Flipper- Why not DGD?  It works. I love it.

CHROMINATOR

• MSgt USMC Retired - Patriot Guard Rider
      • SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2018, 02:03:11 am »
      Yep, works like a charm.  It's been on my bike for 6 years with no problems at all.

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2018, 06:48:38 am »
      My DGD has always had an issue from time to time. Sometimes it will try to start then just stop like someone hit the kill switch....turn the kill switch to off and back on she always starts then. I put a new battery in the fob and sometimes I have to press the button on the fob for it to work instead of just being next to it.
      I only bought the DGD  because I put on a fairing that blocked the key hole.  If I had to do it over again, I would just relocate the ignition and not have the DGD.

Flipper

• SEA-ROAR Member
      • Warrior
        • JW Publishing Corp
      « Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2018, 09:08:18 am »
      That's the reason to going keyless is the fairing I'm adding.  It looks like it will be blocking the key. 
      Stealth Bike

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2018, 09:23:08 am »
      That's the reason to going keyless is the fairing I'm adding.  It looks like it will be blocking the key.
      Yeah do an electrical mod right before a road trip - hope it works better than the air ride did last year  :(

kphudson

• Roadliner
      « Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2018, 09:57:25 am »
      My DGD has always had an issue from time to time. Sometimes it will try to start then just stop like someone hit the kill switch....turn the kill switch to off and back on she always starts then. I put a new battery in the fob and sometimes I have to press the button on the fob for it to work instead of just being next to it.
      I only bought the DGD  because I put on a fairing that blocked the key hole.  If I had to do it over again, I would just relocate the ignition and not have the DGD.

The DGD has a voltage sensor built in that wont let it operate if the voltage drops below 10v. Had the same issue, I replaced the old battery and added a battery tender.
      2012 raider SCL #432

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2018, 10:48:29 am »

I've never had this issue.  I do have where sometimes you have to rattle the fob to wake it up. Sometimes I will do that and then click the switch on the bike off and back on and it always works.

Is your fob in passive or active mode?  That would make a difference.

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2018, 11:04:41 am »

The DGD has a voltage sensor built in that wont let it operate if the voltage drops below 10v. Had the same issue, I replaced the old battery and added a battery tender.
      I have a brand new battery and tender, still acts up.

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2018, 11:09:32 am »

I've never had this issue.  I do have where sometimes you have to rattle the fob to wake it up. Sometimes I will do that and then click the switch on the bike off and back on and it always works.

Whichever is the mode to start without pushing the button. I called DGD and we made sure of the setting. He told me that if the batteries in the fob go below 3v it can act up. I have tried and tested brand new batteries, still does it. Pain in the ass if you turn your bike off for a 15 or 20 minute train then have to take your riding gloves off and stand up or off your bike to dig out the fob to start it with 50 angry cars lined up behind you.

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2018, 11:27:03 am »
      Yup, fairing blocks it. Plus to me....using a key gives one peace of mind, nothing like being 200 miles from nowhere, hit the DGD....and nothing...your screwed. I can't speak for anyone else but....im almost 60....been driving stuff since 12 or 13 and have yet to have anything fail to start because the key didn't work. And make no mistake, the DGD is your new key if that's the route you take.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2018, 01:31:24 pm »

Whichever is the mode to start without pushing the button. I called DGD and we made sure of the setting. He told me that if the batteries in the fob go below 3v it can act up. I have tried and tested brand new batteries, still does it. Pain in the ass if you turn your bike off for a 15 or 20 minute train then have to take your riding gloves off and stand up or off your bike to dig out the fob to start it with 50 angry cars lined up behind you.

Yeah! That's definitely an issue.   Glad I have not had that.  I have had the whole thing act weird when both my fob battery and my bike battery have been bad.

highwayman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2018, 02:23:40 pm »

Yeah! That's definitely an issue.   Glad I have not had that.  I have had the whole thing act weird when both my fob battery and my bike battery have been bad.
      There has not been a single time that I have walked up to my gal since I installed the DGD and said to myself,  "I hope she starts"