Author Topic: Voltage Regulator  (Read 3842 times)

Fasttimez

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
Voltage Regulator
« on: Sep 24, 2018, 01:35:46 pm »
There's a great thread on the Raider FB page from a guy who did a lot of digging & found an "upgrade" for our voltage regulator.  Our regulators put out a constant output regardless of the draw it sees.  This in turn leads to the stator whine & shortened stator life "that's the theory anyway, but a pretty solid theory".  The new regulator is a plug & play model, it's a "smart" regulator, as it only puts out what it sees the needed draw is calling for.  This in turn is easier on our stators, adding life to them, & cures a lot of the whine because it's only supplying what's needed.  A lot of guys have done the swap, & reported great results.  I just ordered a used one off EBay for $50 & gonna give it a try.  I have a very slight whine at idle, & in the first 2 gears only, gonna see if this fixes the issue. It seems we're the only ones in the entire industry using the "dumb" stators, as every other manufacturer, & other model Yamaha's use this one as well.  The number is SH775AA.....if you try this swap, buy a USED stator.  The aftermarket is flooded with new cheap knockoffs that are NOT the same quality.  These can be had used for $50 - $100 depending on where you find them.  They are used in everything from SeaDOO jet skis to Polaris Razors...... I'll report back when I do the swap.     

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

the urban legend

• Raider
    Re: Voltage Regulator
    « Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2018, 06:26:18 pm »
    I saw that on FB too. I was thinking about trying it out,but now I'll wait for your verdict ;D :popcorn: :popcorn:
    I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2018, 06:37:00 pm »
    My interest you have piqued...

• Advertisement

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06:19:37 am »
      It's supposed to be here by Tuesday, I'll pop it in & give it a whirl.  People claim it has fixed their stator whine issue. 

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06:22:35 am »
      Here's the used one I bought.......

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2018, 07:00:27 pm »

That's the exact model I'm looking for. Unfortunately all my searches have netted only new units ($$$) or cheap knockoffs. Must be a Canada thing.
      I'm also following this on FB

wyner

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2018, 08:24:55 pm »
      Don't search the part#, search SeaDoo GTS 130 voltage rectifier (maybe other models too, I don't know).
      This is the guy I got one from - it shows the part# on the one pic.
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-SeaDoo-GTS-130-Voltage-Regulator-Rectifier/283080327470?hash=item41e8e7012e:g:q1gAAOSwhvFZIzeL
      I didn't really notice a whine - just thought it sounded like a good thing to have - working great.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2018, 08:44:50 pm »

That's the exact model I'm looking for. Unfortunately all my searches have netted only new units ($$$) or cheap knockoffs. Must be a Canada thing.
      I'm also following this on FB
      Go on EBay & put in SeaDoo Voltage regulator (they seem to be the most plentiful), then filter your search by selecting only USED parts.  This will bring up the Factory OEM units only.  Then just scroll through until you find what you need.  Also Polaris used ones seem to plentiful, uses the same ones.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2018, 08:46:56 pm »
      Don't search the part#, search SeaDoo GTS 130 voltage rectifier (maybe other models too, I don't know).
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-SeaDoo-GTS-130-Voltage-Regulator-Rectifier/283080327470?hash=item41e8e7012e:g:q1gAAOSwhvFZIzeL
      I didn't really notice a whine - just thought it sounded like a good thing to have - working great.
      Same guy I bought mine from also, mine came off a 2014 SeaDoo Spark.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2018, 05:42:37 am »
      Go on EBay & put in SeaDoo Voltage regulator (they seem to be the most plentiful), then filter your search by selecting only USED parts.  This will bring up the Factory OEM units only.  Then just scroll through until you find what you need.  Also Polaris used ones seem to plentiful, uses the same ones.

Thanks guys

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:04:02 pm »
      Swapped mine out today....didn't change one thing....LoL.  At least I have a spare voltage regulator now   ;D ;D

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:54:49 pm »
      Swapped mine out today....didn't change one thing....LoL.  At least I have a spare voltage regulator now   ;D ;D

Disappointing... So I guess all the hype is exaggerated.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2018, 09:01:27 pm »

Not necessarily, others have reported it quieted down their stator whine.  Just didnt do anything for mine.  I've seen where others have changed the stator itself & it went away. 

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2018, 11:30:30 pm »

Not necessarily, others have reported it quieted down their stator whine.  Just didnt do anything for mine.  I've seen where others have changed the stator itself & it went away.

At the risk of starting an argument, good voltage regulators are only going to put out what they have to put out--design/spec-wise (sorta like wives/girl friends!!!).    :rotfl:  Some stabilize voltage better/faster than others under varying loads and how much went into their design/expense (i.e. zener diodes, SCR regulators, linear/switching/AVR/PWM types).  Perhaps the whining stators have a lot of load on them (pushing their design limits) like a dresser bike with lots of electrical goodies on them, for example.  Just sayin' ....  According to my Yammie tech book, the Raider Mitsubishi "magneto" is rated at 32A at 5000 RPM and the Shindengen rectifier/regulator is 50A max.  Adding heated riding gear will give it something more to chew on there!  My old Honda CB900 generator was only rated at about 350 watts.  I've gone through a lot of problem car alternators over the years and they usually have had bearing/armature/brush wear issues or the zeners just died from excessive heat, esp. GM crap.   :o   Anyway, I can't hear my own SCL stator making any noise over the beautiful sound of the 113 and Cobra pipes!  I have no extra electrical accessories installed at the moment.   :wheelie:
      « Last Edit: Sep 26, 2018, 11:57:37 pm by Sgt Fury »

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2018, 06:20:20 am »

At the risk of starting an argument, good voltage regulators are only going to put out what they have to put out--design/spec-wise (sorta like wives/girl friends!!!).    :rotfl:  Some stabilize voltage better/faster than others under varying loads and how much went into their design/expense (i.e. zener diodes, SCR regulators, linear/switching/AVR/PWM types).  Perhaps the whining stators have a lot of load on them (pushing their design limits) like a dresser bike with lots of electrical goodies on them, for example.  Just sayin' ....  According to my Yammie tech book, the Raider Mitsubishi "magneto" is rated at 32A at 5000 RPM and the Shindengen rectifier/regulator is 50A max.  Adding heated riding gear will give it something more to chew on there!  My old Honda CB900 generator was only rated at about 350 watts.  I've gone through a lot of problem car alternators over the years and they usually have had bearing/armature/brush wear issues or the zeners just died from excessive heat, esp. GM crap.   :o   Anyway, I can't hear my own SCL stator making any noise over the beautiful sound of the 113 and Cobra pipes!  I have no extra electrical accessories installed at the moment.   :wheelie:
      I'm just gonna put my old one back in, just figured I'd waste some money & try something new....LoL  Got a good used regulator for sale if anyone is looking, $40 shipped to your door  ;D