Author Topic: Voltage Regulator  (Read 7114 times)

Iceshot

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Voltage Regulator
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2018, 11:28:01 pm »
I'm the guy who first tried / suggested the R/R mod on the Facebook Raider group. Mine is running great and stator whine or not, you really should consider this mod. Here's why...

Reasons Raider and Stratoliner owners should consider upgrading their rectifier to a Shindengen SH775:

1) These 3rd generation “Series” Rectifiers are herald as stator savers.  (1st gen) Shunt and (2nd gen) Mosfet rectifiers pull 100% maximum voltage from the stator at all times. The unused / un-needed electricity is returned to the stator and grounded out which generates a considerable amount of heat.  "Series” rectifiers are intelligent, and pull “ONLY” what voltage they need from the stator moment to moment resulting in a much cooler running stator not under constant full strain (average 50-60% reduction in stator temps). The cooler the stator runs, the longer the windings and insulation will last.

2) The SH775 rectifier upgrade is a very simple plug and play upgrade to the Raider / Stratoliner. Even the most mechanically challenged owner can do this themselves in roughly 10 minutes with a allen wrench and basic socket set.

3) The SH775 is cheap upgrade. Used Shindengen SH775 rectifiers are commonly found on Ebay averaging anywhere from $35-60.

4) I have received feedback from a fellow Raider owner who suffers from the widely reported and dreaded "stator whine" that upgrading his OEM rectifier to the Shindengen SH775 completely eliminated the stator whine on his Raider. So it stands to reason other Raider owners who suffer from stator whine noise may too find an added benefit / incentive to upgrade to a  Shindengen SH775 rectifier.

5) The 3rd generation "Series" Shindengen SH775 has been used as a upgraded rectifier replacing older 1st generation "Shunt" and 2nd generation "Mosfet" units in countless motorcycles from vintage to new. While using the SH775 is a "new" idea for the Raider, it has been used extensively and is universally praised for most motorcycles going back many years. A google search of "Shindengen SH775 forums" will give you an exhaustive amount of feedback / discussion from other Motorcycle owners using the SH775 should you be so inclined to conduct your own independent research . The only motorcycles that use of the SH775 should be avoided is high revving sport bikes (crotch rockets). RPM's above 10k are problematic for the SH775. Our Raider and cruisers as a class don't even come close to 10k rpm, so no problem.

FAQ

1)  You want a USED Shindengen SH775 unit, not a new one! There are a lot of “new” no name Chinese clones that look almost identical to a Shindengen averaging around $50-65. Dont be fooled into buying one, they are NOT Series rectifiers (they are confirmed to be mosfet) and certainly not Shindengen units! If the Ebay ad does not have a picture of the used rectifier with the SH775AA / SH775BA lettering on it with the provided pictures I strongly suggest messaging the seller prior to buying to verify the unit for sale is indeed a Shindengen SH775. The Chinese knock offs have no numbers on them. If you incist on a new Shindengen SH775 expect to pay between $150-175.

2) Used Shindengen SH775 are rarely listed on Ebay by searching " Shindengen SH775 ". They are most commonly listed and found by searching for 4012941 (Polaris part number) and 710001103 (Seadoo / Can-Am Part Numbers).

3) Shindengen SH775AA or SH775BA are both fine. As best I can tell, the AA / BA designation is nothing more than a minor internal revision to the SH775 PCB.

4) The OEM Raider Shindengen FH012AA is a 50amp unit and the Shindengen SH775 is a 35amp. There should be no pause for concern. The Raider's stator is rated at 32 amps, so the extra 15 amps the OEM  FH012AA rectifier is capable of is lost on us by default.

5) The SH775 has built in over-voltage protection and will not damage the Raider's electrical system.

6) Shindengen makes a 50 amp "Series" rectifier (SH847). Fair warning, while the pin out and connectors are identical to the FH012AA and SH775 and it would plug in and work, the dimensions on the SH847 are larger and the mounting holes are different. They will not fit the Raider's factory rectifier mounting location! To install a SH847 have to likely cut and extend the factory harness cables and find another place to mount it that gets airflow but is not an eyesore. The SH847 is 3-4 times the cost ($160-200) and while it's 50 amp rated, our stators only put out a Max of 32 amp (SH775 is rated 35 amp). Given the added cost, extra work, and no discernible performance difference on the Raider I see no point to using the SH847. Stick with the SH775!

The current discussion /feedback regarding the SH775 on the Raider can be read in on the Facebook Yamaha Raider group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/YamahaRaider113/permalink/10156480681093162/
2008 Yamaha Raider (Raven)

Performance Mods:

Dynojet Power Commander V
Yamaha Star Speedstar Staggered Long Drag Exhaust
Baron Stealth Big Air Kit
Avon Cobra Tires F&R (240)
NGK Iridium Plugs
Shindengen SH775 "Series" Rectifier
Maxair Engineering Flamewires X2

Aesthetic / Other Mods:

Denali M5 LED Headlight
Blaster-X LED Tail Light
Kuryakyn Sub Fender License Plate Bracket
Kuryakyn Swing Arm Covers
SCL "Red Stitch" Seats
SCL Luggage Rack
Custom black "Raider" engraved Belt Guard
Lightningfast SAE to USB Quick Charge 3.0 Charger

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Iceshot

• V Star
    « Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:05:32 pm »
    Formal "How To" with pics is now up. Check it out here...

https://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=135554.0
    2008 Yamaha Raider (Raven)

Performance Mods:

Dynojet Power Commander V
    Yamaha Star Speedstar Staggered Long Drag Exhaust
    Baron Stealth Big Air Kit
    Avon Cobra Tires F&R (240)
    NGK Iridium Plugs
    Shindengen SH775 "Series" Rectifier
    Maxair Engineering Flamewires X2

Aesthetic / Other Mods:

Denali M5 LED Headlight
    Blaster-X LED Tail Light
    Kuryakyn Sub Fender License Plate Bracket
    Kuryakyn Swing Arm Covers
    SCL "Red Stitch" Seats
    SCL Luggage Rack
    Custom black "Raider" engraved Belt Guard
    Lightningfast SAE to USB Quick Charge 3.0 Charger

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    « Reply #17 on: Apr 27, 2021, 01:39:49 pm »
    Reviving an old thread, I've talked to a couple people who've done this mod and said they feel like their bike lost power, another said his lithium ion battery died because of improper charging caused by the new regulator.  Anyone have any experience with this ?

• Advertisement

RangerRick

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #18 on: Apr 27, 2021, 04:17:32 pm »
      any one go this route. ;)

The Super Mosfet Kit FH020AA
      Easy, fast and complete. As close to plug and play you can get.

http://www.roadstercycle.com/
      2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-SE5
      ANG Member 25 years
      Retired Aug. 1, 2010

seventhLetter

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #19 on: Jul 16, 2021, 11:36:02 pm »
      For what it's worth, I did this after my bike was having very annoying stator growl from changing all lighting to LED.  It was not just during warm-up, but throughout a day's ride.  After installing the Shindengen I noticed almost immediately that the bike sounded different.  Not bad, just different.  The growl was gone though.  I did feel like it just didn't feel as punchy as it did before swapping out the rectifier, so I swapped back to the factory one. 

Noticed my battery wasn't charging so I started running some tests.  The OEM rectifier (which is now approaching 14 years old) tests perfectly fine.  The stator however, registers no resistance at all.  It's such a small amount that my meter shows 0.

So I've ordered a new stator and will install it when my exhaust gaskets get here next week.  Just to make sure I tested the stock stator correctly, I tested the new one, and it registers correctly.

I know this is extra info, and a bit off topic.  All this just to say that the Shindengen rectifier isn't necessarily a miracle cure, especially if there are other things going on with the charging system.
      RoxieRaider, SeventhLetter, G, "hey you", I answer to just about anything.