Author Topic: Not starting after clearing Error 12  (Read 5262 times)

Phalcun

• I'd rather be riding my Raider!!
  • Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Not starting after clearing Error 12
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2018, 09:53:31 pm »
glad you found the problem!  the way it's wired with wrong relay, the only time fuel pump would get power is when starter button is engaged.  I bet Yami price will scare ya, I just bought a cheap relay myself thinking 7 bucks was too cheap but Yamaha was too much.  Too bad you can't stretch the battery lead but how about removing the the top part of relay surrounding the 4 pin plug and fuses?  I believe it is a combination of snap to fit and glue, once rrmoved transfer that old copper jumper to new relay and snap back in place.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

grantwelch

• V Star
    « Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2018, 11:19:33 pm »
    glad you found the problem!  the way it's wired with wrong relay, the only time fuel pump would get power is when starter button is engaged.  I bet Yami price will scare ya, I just bought a cheap relay myself thinking 7 bucks was too cheap but Yamaha was too much.  Too bad you can't stretch the battery lead but how about removing the the top part of relay surrounding the 4 pin plug and fuses?  I believe it is a combination of snap to fit and glue, once rrmoved transfer that old copper jumper to new relay and snap back in place.

I considered that, but since I am not familiar with the internals of the relay wondered if switching where the leads connected would make a difference or not.  So I just ordered the correct one on Amazon for like 8 bucks, should be here Wednesday.

grantwelch

• V Star
    « Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2018, 05:53:29 pm »
    UPDATE

Replacing the starter relay did the trick, bike starts right up and runs great now.  Took it out for a couple of hours today with 3-4 stops, restarted each time with no problems.

• Advertisement

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2018, 05:56:30 pm »
      UPDATE

Replacing the starter relay did the trick, bike starts right up and runs great now.  Took it out for a couple of hours today with 3-4 stops, restarted each time with no problems.
      :goodjob:
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2018, 06:31:41 pm »
      Nice!  Glad it was something relatively easy and cheap. Just sorry you couldn't ride for a few days.

Blueridge Raider

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2018, 05:01:07 pm »
      Just hooked up a new battery in mine.......still code 12............just click when I hit starter or intermittent buzz from starter relay area...sooooooooo if you don't mind what was the part number of the starter relay that you got ?
      LTR/RTL

grantwelch

• V Star
      « Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2018, 03:30:35 pm »
      Just hooked up a new battery in mine.......still code 12............just click when I hit starter or intermittent buzz from starter relay area...sooooooooo if you don't mind what was the part number of the starter relay that you got ?

The OEM part number is 5JW-81940-02-00, and it ain't cheap...Yamaha wants 80ish for it, eBay has it for about 60, but I bought a generic one off of amazon for like 8 bucks.  First one I bought had the wrong side connected to a fuse, so pay attention to the pics when you're shopping online.

Blueridge Raider

• Road Star
      « Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2018, 11:20:02 am »
      Thanks so much, I will pay attention to get the correct side connected to the fuse. I pulled the old one, I will hold it in my hand when I order the new one. Man you gotta love this site............
      LTR/RTL

PC-Raider

• Warrior
      « Reply #23 on: Nov 02, 2018, 05:28:47 am »
      Thanks so much, I will pay attention to get the correct side connected to the fuse. I pulled the old one, I will hold it in my hand when I order the new one. Man you gotta love this site............

Great to see brothers helping brothers!   :cheers: Interesting thread! 

Blueridge Raider

• Road Star
      « Reply #24 on: Nov 02, 2018, 10:23:37 am »
      I got the new starter relay last night, $11 off Amazon, mounted it and as I was hooking up the red cable got a spark..........man I thought this is not good, went ahead and hooked up the black cable, buttoned everything up and tried to start the bike............it started so quick it startled me..........I have had 2 Raiders, 08 and 11 and neither one ever fired up as soon as I hit the switch........ maybe because new battery has 240cca instead of OEM having 190cca don't know but I am one happy rider. Just wanted to say thanks again, you never know how much your story will help out someone else.
      LTR/RTL

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #25 on: Nov 02, 2018, 10:42:24 am »
      I got the new starter relay last night, $11 off Amazon, mounted it and as I was hooking up the red cable got a spark..........man I thought this is not good, went ahead and hooked up the black cable, buttoned everything up and tried to start the bike............it started so quick it startled me..........I have had 2 Raiders, 08 and 11 and neither one ever fired up as soon as I hit the switch........ maybe because new battery has 240cca instead of OEM having 190cca don't know but I am one happy rider. Just wanted to say thanks again, you never know how much your story will help out someone else.
      The bike was probably getting tired of just sitting there and was ready to go  :thumbs: it's always cool to work on something and it still works after you work on it  ;)

TTE

• Road Star
        • Tanzania Trophy Expeditions
      « Reply #26 on: Nov 02, 2018, 02:32:08 pm »
      it's always cool to work on something and it still works after you work on it  ;)

:lbh:      :yourock:

100% accurate
      If you're not living on the edge ..... you're taking up too much room

Tigger

• V Star
      « Reply #27 on: Oct 18, 2020, 11:53:16 am »

What battery did you install to get all those extra CCA's, thanks
      Old Timer

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #28 on: Oct 18, 2020, 03:45:25 pm »

What battery did you install to get all those extra CCA's, thanks

You may not get a response about this. The thread is two years old.