Author Topic: Batteries: which battery do you people recommend for the Raider.  (Read 3238 times)

ernie

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Batteries: which battery do you people recommend for the Raider.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2019, 08:51:33 am »
Bought my bike new in March of '13 (could have been the end of Feb); I replaced my OEM battery with an Xtreme AGM 14B-BS in 2015 for about $80.  Replaced that one with the same thing yesterday.

It seems you are replacing your batteries more often than I’ve heard others. Do you have many electrical accessories or something that might be a normal occurrence causing your batteries to fail about every three or four years? Do you use a battery tender when the bike is parked at home and not being ridden?
His Humble Servant
ALR/PGR
SFC, USA (RET)
Tax Everyone

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2019, 10:02:05 am »
    My bike sits in a hot Florida garage when it's idle...no tender.  Heat eats batteries.  My truck/car batteries are usually around 5 years; the boat is a little better, but that may be 'cuz I put the charger on that thing more often.  On the bright side, I get to ride a lot, but on the down side, I live in kinda south Florida, so the rides are straight and flat.  $80 every 4 years, $20/year, ~$.05/day...cheap enough.
    The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    « Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2019, 11:42:52 am »
    My bike sits in a hot Florida garage when it's idle...no tender.  Heat eats batteries.  My truck/car batteries are usually around 5 years; the boat is a little better, but that may be 'cuz I put the charger on that thing more often.  On the bright side, I get to ride a lot, but on the down side, I live in kinda south Florida, so the rides are straight and flat.  $80 every 4 years, $20/year, ~$.05/day...cheap enough.

I hear you. We have the same issue in AZ.  I was told by battery dealers that you're lucky if you get more than a year on a motorcycle battery in AZ.  The OEM batteries last about 3 years, so we have been sticking with those.

• Advertisement

Kaibab

• 08 Raider
      • Road Star
      « Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:44:22 am »
      This thread cursed me....   I was just thinking how well my Shoari battery has held up over the years,  went in the garage and found it dead....

ernie

• Road Star
      « Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:11:01 pm »
      This thread cursed me....   I was just thinking how well my Shoari battery has held up over the years,  went in the garage and found it dead....

How old is your battery?
      His Humble Servant
      ALR/PGR
      SFC, USA (RET)
      Tax Everyone

Kaibab

• 08 Raider
      • Road Star
      « Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:13:53 pm »
      Lasted 5 years ....  Luckily I have backup

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2019, 06:15:58 pm by Kaibab »

Kaibab

• 08 Raider
      • Road Star
      « Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2019, 04:26:45 pm »
      Battery replaced with same make/model, since I already purchased the proprietary charger BMS years back...    Luckily the Florida weather has been crappy the last 3 days so no missed riding...

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2019, 07:55:55 pm »
      Battery tender Lithium 240

ernie

• Road Star
      « Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 11:55:16 am »
      I just replaced my 2009 stock battery with the new exact stock replacement. The bike is always on a tender when parked at home and I felt that almost 10 years with the stock battery warranted sticking with Yuasa. It’s not like the Raider will feel a few less pounds by going Lithium, but my wallet sure would. The original battery still worked, but a few times it started slowly, on a load test it dropped to ~10 so it was retired and will Power an electric fence around my garden with a HF solar charger on it.  She cranks over like new again, even when hot, no worries. The Amazon vendor emailed me saying they are genuine before I ordered, and it was. Best price I found with free shipping.

Yuasa YUAM624B4 YT14B-BS Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AWDX92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_sUc5CbWRMT93A
      His Humble Servant
      ALR/PGR
      SFC, USA (RET)
      Tax Everyone

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 12:39:21 pm »
      My 2009 has had the original and one replacement Yausa battery.  I just needed to replace it, but the dealer would have to order one,  In desperation, I checked with the local Batteries + and they had a replacement in stock.  Turns out it doesn't take the same mounting hardware (the stock connectors are too large) but the correct stuff comes with it.  I dropped it in and the bike starts like it did when new.  Obviously I can't speak to longevity, but for $89.95 plus tax Zippy is back on the road and getting better mileage than before.  , 

ernie

• Road Star
      « Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 05:40:23 pm »
      I replaced my original 2009 Yuasa last weekend with another Yuasa. It had been starting slow, especially when hot though never failed to start. The old battery will now power my solar charged electric garden fence, I bought this one after confirming with the seller he sold the genuine product and he did.

Yuasa YUAM624B4 YT14B-BS Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AWDX92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_f8C5Cb6FK82DF

His Humble Servant
      ALR/PGR
      SFC, USA (RET)
      Tax Everyone

bacchus40

• Road Star
      « Reply #26 on: Sep 16, 2019, 06:54:28 pm »
      Battery replaced with same make/model, since I already purchased the proprietary charger BMS years back...   

a little odd it only lasted 5 years.. do you put it on storage mode while not riding?

i run Shorai on my R1 and have the charger as well..  I will get one for my Raider in a year or so..

she's about to take a break.

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #27 on: Sep 19, 2019, 06:30:18 am »
      I went with this battery: Battery Tender BTL14A300CW Supersmart BMS Lithium Battery, 12V 5.0Ah, 300CCA, Black
      I put one in my warrior and put one in my Raider when I got her. The battery fits in the stock battery box without modification, but it is basically a line-to-line fit.
      In the warrior the difference was night and day compared to the AGM. She spun so quick!
      In the raider she spins a tiny bit quicker than the AGM that came out of her but not a ton and it really depends on the outside temp. I would say around 45F the LI and AGM are equal. At 75F she spins much stronger with the LI.

heftysmurf

• Road Star
      « Reply #28 on: Sep 19, 2019, 12:03:32 pm »
      Also in the Warrior I remember when I swapped in the Flamewires it really helped since the stock wiring was so thin.
      2011 Raider S

bacchus40

• Road Star
      « Reply #29 on: Sep 19, 2019, 09:36:14 pm »
      In the raider she spins a tiny bit quicker than the AGM that came out of her but not a ton and it really depends on the outside temp. I would say around 45F the LI and AGM are equal. At 75F she spins much stronger with the LI.

this appears to be an accurate post.. its because Lithium batteries arent as strong at lower temperatures, which is
      weird as the ideal storage temperature is literally 'just' above freezing, meaning if you live in an area where winter
      is a thing, you're better off setting the LifePo4 battery to 'storage mode' if available and just leaving it in the bike
      instead of bringing the battery into the house where you're likely to have home heating.

the trick with LifePo4 batteries doesnt always work great on the Raider as the HEAD-LIGHT does not come on
      until you actually 'start' or try to start the motorcycle.  On bikes like the R1 (some cruisers as well) the headlight
      actually comes on as soon as you turn the key to 'on' without having to hit the starter button.

Letting the headlight turn on b4 you actually start your bike (like 30 seconds really) allows electrons to flow
      which then warms the battery to 'operating temp' or damn close.  At that point if you hit the starter i bet
      you will find the LifePo4 gets the engine going faster than the agm.  This is something we have seen
      for years on the R1s.   My Shorai has much more cold cranking amps than the shitty Yuasa which came with.

i think its funny some folks still brag about Yuasa, guess they were lucky enough not to get caught by the
      shitty batch of Yuasa batteries which hit most motorcycles from both Honda and Yamaha circa 2008 / 2009 / 2010.

Literally it felt like every other day there was one more post bitching of a dead battery, brand new bike, straight off the floor.

My dealer actually tested my battery and found it failed so even b4 i picked it up, they had already swapped it. :D
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2019, 09:38:32 pm by bacchus40 »