Author Topic: Batteries: which battery do you people recommend for the Raider.  (Read 12450 times)

yamaharaider

• V Star
  • Referrals: 0
Looking for a battery for a little faster turn over of my Raider.It appears to struggle as if a few more cca would be a big improvement. Open to any and all recommendations about type and brand. I am in need of a new battery and so I thought it would not hurt to ask some of you what has worked, been reliable and cost effective.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 20
    Re: Batteries: which battery do you people recommend for the Raider.
    « Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2018, 02:56:56 pm »
    I use a Yuasa get 5+ years service out of one

Clayton

• Mmm...🍺 Beer
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 2
    « Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:25:26 pm »
    The factory yuasa lasted the best form me. Tried a scorpion and it sucked. Went back with a yuasa again

• Advertisement

Kaibab

• 08 Raider
      • Road Star
      « Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2018, 04:00:10 pm »
      I have a Shorai lithium iron battery.   Meh...   It works and it doesn't need to be connected to a battery tender since I have only 4K miles on my 2008 ,,,   I am not a good reference point ...

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:48:55 pm »
      The OEM battery.  Most motorcycle batteries seldom last much longer than a year in AZ. The OEM batteries have lasted about 3 years for us. 

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2018, 02:19:51 am »
      We see a lot of Yuasa in Alaskai have gotten 10 years on my motocycle battery and 7 on my 4 wheeler.  They do see a lot of down time though and I use a battery tender religiously.
      « Last Edit: Dec 14, 2018, 11:45:06 am by SLK »
      SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Warrior
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:49:13 am »
      We see a lot of Yuasa in Alaskai have gotten 10 years on my motocycle battery and 7 on my 4 wheeler.  They do see a lot of down though and use a battery tender religiously.

Same here in the UK... Original Yuasa lasts 7-10 years on our Raiders, so would replace with a Yuasa in my opinion.
      One of only around 85 or so Raider Owners in the UK

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:56:20 am »
      I'd take the battery to get load tested.  If it's four (or more) years old, consider replacing it.  I went to Batteries Plus - no issues with their Duracell AGM.

"Hard cranking" has been discussed on this forum (ad nauseum).  Aside from battery replacement, other solutions include using a battery with higher CCA, checking/cleaning the terminals at the battery/starter, installing heavier amp-load cables, starter rebuild/replacement, replacing the starter torque limiter, and lifter adjustment/replacement - have I missed any?

I did most of the aforementioned; however, my hard starting issue completely went away when I replaced all four of my lifters.  Not sure if it was the lifters and subsequent valve adjustment that did the trick, or simply the work (maybe the mx tweaked the comp release?),  but my bike spins up awesomely without effort with a three year old battery.

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Warrior
      One of only around 85 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Phalcun

• I'd rather be riding my Raider!!
      • Road Star
      « Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2018, 11:48:20 pm »
      I got a 360 amp Ballistic Performance lithium ion, its overkill but a good battery and fits the Raider box perfect, their battery, model EVO3, size and kit # EVX16-12, which includes a nifty battery monitor, about $300, it's a couple sizes bigger than necessary but I got it to fit the box, its light too. should last for years, been starting good here in the high 30's to 40's temp lately.
      « Last Edit: Dec 08, 2018, 11:57:18 pm by Phalcun »

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2018, 06:28:12 am »
      I got a 360 amp Ballistic Performance lithium ion, its overkill but a good battery and fits the Raider box perfect, their battery, model EVO3, size and kit # EVX16-12, which includes a nifty battery monitor, about $300, it's a couple sizes bigger than necessary but I got it to fit the box, its light too. should last for years, been starting good here in the high 30's to 40's temp lately.
      I have a EVX16-12 I had put in my Raider before I traded it in but removed it since it was new and put the old one back in  , if anyone is interested  PM me
      Freedom Performance  Sharp Curves Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, RC Savage Eclipse wheels, Ultimate  seat, Autometer  Pro Cycle
      Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

ernie

• Road Star
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2019, 02:16:36 pm »
      We see a lot of Yuasa in Alaskai have gotten 10 years on my motocycle battery and 7 on my 4 wheeler.  They do see a lot of down time though and I use a battery tender religiously.

Exactly this, I still have my stock Yuasa installed in my 09, I credit to using a Battery Tender brand tender whenever the bike isn’t ridden. When it comes time...

https://www.batterymart.com/p-YT14B-4-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery.html
      His Humble Servant
      ALR/PGR
      SFC, USA (RET)
      Tax Everyone

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:27:41 am »
      Bought my bike new in March of '13 (could have been the end of Feb); I replaced my OEM battery with an Xtreme AGM 14B-BS in 2015 for about $80.  Replaced that one with the same thing yesterday.
      « Last Edit: Mar 04, 2019, 06:37:50 am by Dark Matter »
      The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

cobaltss01

• 2015 Raider
      • Road Star
      « Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:13:15 am »
      That Ballistic battery seemed to be a good option but they went out of business.

ElGuapoLoco

• Road Star
      « Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2019, 08:12:01 am »
      I chose a Bikemaster lithium ion with 250 cold cranking amps.  Solved the slow cranking thing.  Light as a feather.  Bought it last year so I can not comment on longevity.  Cost was ~ $150.