Author Topic: Batteries: which battery do you people recommend for the Raider.  (Read 12447 times)

Lulu

• Road Star
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Batteries: which battery do you people recommend for the Raider.
« Reply #30 on: Sep 20, 2019, 07:20:44 am »
Bought one from Battery Plus for 90$. 4000mi so far, but just two weeks old. Nothing to complain, works great.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    « Reply #31 on: Sep 22, 2019, 08:01:16 am »
    Bought one from Battery Plus for 90$. 4000mi so far, but just two weeks old. Nothing to complain, works great.

I did the same thing...works fine.
    The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 5
    « Reply #32 on: Sep 22, 2019, 07:54:14 pm »

If it is a 12 VDC battery, fits in the box, connects to the wiring, cranks and runs the bike, then I recommend it.  It is much better than any alternative that doesn't do that.   :)

• Advertisement

woodog

• 2012 ROM Winner
      • Raider
      « Reply #33 on: Aug 31, 2020, 05:48:18 pm »
      Purchased a earthXETX18B... Time will tell....
      Woodog..Patriot Raider...Marine... MGySgt.  Semper Fidelis

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
      « Reply #34 on: Aug 12, 2021, 09:21:52 am »
      I went with this battery: Battery Tender BTL14A300CW Supersmart BMS Lithium Battery, 12V 5.0Ah, 300CCA, Black
      I put one in my warrior and put one in my Raider when I got her. The battery fits in the stock battery box without modification, but it is basically a line-to-line fit.
      In the warrior the difference was night and day compared to the AGM. She spun so quick!
      In the raider she spins a tiny bit quicker than the AGM that came out of her but not a ton and it really depends on the outside temp. I would say around 45F the LI and AGM are equal. At 75F she spins much stronger with the LI.

I had a fun morning, so I thought I would go back and see when I actually purchased this battery. I haven't ridden the Raider in 2-3 weeks (other bike and vacation). I went out to start her up around 5am this morning... >CLICK<... the engine doesn't turn over. I know sometimes the battery has to 'warm' up a bit so I try a few more times and she turns over and starts. I think, "It'll charge up on my way to the gym." It's a 12 minute ride to the gym, but I figured it would have a bit more juice after the short ride and it WAS able to start the bike at home. I leave the gym around 6:30 and... >CLICK<... but weaker. Then she just gave up all together. I pushed it up the hill in the parking lot (getting my second workout for the day) and then proceeded to try to push start her 3 times... no go. After asking folks coming and going I finally find someone with jumper cables. After 15 seconds she starts. I ride home and no issues for the ride, even idling at stop lights.

My questions:
      1. What are the chances it's the battery? I would think that if it was a charging issue that the bike would have stalled out on the trip home, but she ran fine.
      2. I have heard jumping a bike can do damage... is the risk to the battery (which is probably already dead) or is the risk to something else like the computer or charging system?

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #35 on: Aug 12, 2021, 09:57:39 am »
      I've jumped started both the Raider and the Stryker.  Just do not start the engine of the vehicle you're jumping from.

I've also jump started my Raider from my wife's Stryker.

FireNative

• Roadliner
      « Reply #36 on: Aug 12, 2021, 10:27:40 am »
      No matter what battery you get I would 100% recommend this small portable NOCO battery jumper, direct to battery cables with plug for jumper and adaptor to plug directly for trickle charging. The jumper comes with post clamps but with the wire to battery you can just plug it in and jump.

Noco GB40, 1000amp small portable jumper good for up to 6.0L gas and 3.0L Diesel $99
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TKUPIC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOCO GBC009 Boost 18.5-Inch SAE Adapter Extension Cable For GB20/GB40/GB50 plug for jumper and SAE (trickle chargers) $22
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072F9HS2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or NOCO GC002 X-Connect M6 Eyelet Terminal Accessory For NOCO Genius Smart Battery Chargers $10
      https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC002-Eyelet-Terminal-Connector/dp/B004LWQ35Y/ref=pd_bxgy_img_1/143-0421033-9860314?pd_rd_w=FPLtv&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=3RVCPF51Q8B1SQMFC1RD&pd_rd_r=f258403c-fc56-4313-9e1a-f34c790c9f1b&pd_rd_wg=CfpVX&pd_rd_i=B004LWQ35Y&psc=1

NOCO GC009 X-Connect SAE Adapter Accessory For NOCO Genius Smart Battery Chargers $8
      https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC009-SAE-Adapter/dp/B005DUMADC/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/143-0421033-9860314?pd_rd_w=FPLtv&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=3RVCPF51Q8B1SQMFC1RD&pd_rd_r=f258403c-fc56-4313-9e1a-f34c790c9f1b&pd_rd_wg=CfpVX&pd_rd_i=B005DUMADC&psc=1

NOCO Genus 1 battery charger for 12v, 12v AGM, 12v lithium, and 6v batteries $30
      https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B07W46BX31/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=trickle+charger&qid=1628780976&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFQNDY0QzNaMlRBMFUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyNDMwODkySFdaTExGUjhKOFJXJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyMDU0ODIxRDJDVFhHSVM1MVZaJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2021, 10:51:23 am by FireNative »

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #37 on: Aug 12, 2021, 11:09:34 am »
      I went with this battery: Battery Tender BTL14A300CW Supersmart BMS Lithium Battery, 12V 5.0Ah, 300CCA, Black
      I put one in my warrior and put one in my Raider when I got her. The battery fits in the stock battery box without modification, but it is basically a line-to-line fit.
      In the warrior the difference was night and day compared to the AGM. She spun so quick!
      In the raider she spins a tiny bit quicker than the AGM that came out of her but not a ton and it really depends on the outside temp. I would say around 45F the LI and AGM are equal. At 75F she spins much stronger with the LI.

I had a fun morning, so I thought I would go back and see when I actually purchased this battery. I haven't ridden the Raider in 2-3 weeks (other bike and vacation). I went out to start her up around 5am this morning... >CLICK<... the engine doesn't turn over. I know sometimes the battery has to 'warm' up a bit so I try a few more times and she turns over and starts. I think, "It'll charge up on my way to the gym." It's a 12 minute ride to the gym, but I figured it would have a bit more juice after the short ride and it WAS able to start the bike at home. I leave the gym around 6:30 and... >CLICK<... but weaker. Then she just gave up all together. I pushed it up the hill in the parking lot (getting my second workout for the day) and then proceeded to try to push start her 3 times... no go. After asking folks coming and going I finally find someone with jumper cables. After 15 seconds she starts. I ride home and no issues for the ride, even idling at stop lights.

My questions:
      1. What are the chances it's the battery? I would think that if it was a charging issue that the bike would have stalled out on the trip home, but she ran fine.
      2. I have heard jumping a bike can do damage... is the risk to the battery (which is probably already dead) or is the risk to something else like the computer or charging system?
      Sounds like you might need to clean your battery terminals and make sure they are tight - if there isn't a good connection the battery won't charge and if the battery is real low 12 minute ride won't do it - you might have a dead cell - get the battery tested.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #38 on: Aug 12, 2021, 11:14:25 am »
      No matter what battery you get I would 100% recommend this small portable NOCO battery jumper, direct to battery cables with plug for jumper and adaptor to plug directly for trickle charging. The jumper comes with post clamps but with the wire to battery you can just plug it in and jump.

I used to carry one of these jumpers in both my bike and in our truck and found that every time it was needed it was dead. Then one day I discovered the one in my saddlebags was swelling and I stopped carrying them. They're great if they're charged, but they lose charge over time and you need to keep them charged regularly.

Dudeman

• SEA-ROAR
      • Warrior
      « Reply #39 on: Aug 12, 2021, 11:15:51 am »

I used to carry one of these jumpers in both my bike and in our truck and found that every time it was needed it was dead. Then one day I discovered the one in my saddlebags was swelling and I stopped carrying them. They're great if they're charged, but they lose charge over time and you need to keep them charged regularly.

I'd rather just keep my bikes on trickle chargers when I'm not riding.
      Sent from my TRS-80 using BASIC

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #40 on: Aug 12, 2021, 11:21:41 am »

Yep!  That's what we do. We have three trickle chargers on the wall for all three bikes. I look over from time to time to make sure they're all solid green.

2012CVKNebulasRaider

• Ride it while you can! Time is Fleeting.
      • V Star
      « Reply #41 on: Aug 12, 2021, 11:31:39 am »
      I purchased a Parts Unlimited LiFePO4 Lithium – Ion Battery from Eastern Performance back on 03/11/2021 and it has been working great. https://www.easternperformance.com/
      Part # DS21130685
      Features I like:
      -It’s a 10th of the weight of a normal battery (maybe 2lbs)
      -The battery has a test button on top of the battery showing if it is at full charge capacity.
      -This battery maintains its charge. You don’t need to keep any battery tender on it.
      -The battery does not give actual CCA (cold cranking amps) ratings but it is definitely cranking above 250amps
      -All I have to do is bump the start button and it fires up.
      -This Ion battery is supposed to last twice as long as conventional batteries, AGM or Acid.
      Possible down sides: 
      -Could be affected by extreme cold temps which wont bother me here in Marietta GA.
      -The battery is about a ˝ inch shorter than the normal battery that fits in the Raider battery box. So, I cut some packing Styrofoam the dimensions of the bottom of the box with a ˝ inch height as a spacer.
      Hope this helps!

Ride it while you can! Time is Fleeting.

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #42 on: Aug 12, 2021, 11:46:18 am »

Yep!  That's what we do. We have three trickle chargers on the wall for all three bikes. I look over from time to time to make sure they're all solid green.
      A trickle charger will show the battery is fully charged even if it has a dead cell.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #43 on: Aug 12, 2021, 12:05:02 pm »

A trickle charger will show the battery is fully charged even if it has a dead cell.

Yeah, I've seen that, but if it's not solid green it means it's disconnected.  I have definitely increased the life of my batteries by trickle charging. I was lucky to get one year on a motorcycle battery here in AZ until I started keeping it charged.

heftysmurf

• Road Star
      « Reply #44 on: Aug 12, 2021, 01:48:41 pm »
      What charger do you use with this battery?
      I purchased a Parts Unlimited LiFePO4 Lithium – Ion Battery from Eastern Performance back on 03/11/2021 and it has been working great. https://www.easternperformance.com/
      Part # DS21130685
      Features I like:
      -It’s a 10th of the weight of a normal battery (maybe 2lbs)
      -The battery has a test button on top of the battery showing if it is at full charge capacity.
      -This battery maintains its charge. You don’t need to keep any battery tender on it.
      -The battery does not give actual CCA (cold cranking amps) ratings but it is definitely cranking above 250amps
      -All I have to do is bump the start button and it fires up.
      -This Ion battery is supposed to last twice as long as conventional batteries, AGM or Acid.
      Possible down sides: 
      -Could be affected by extreme cold temps which wont bother me here in Marietta GA.
      -The battery is about a ˝ inch shorter than the normal battery that fits in the Raider battery box. So, I cut some packing Styrofoam the dimensions of the bottom of the box with a ˝ inch height as a spacer.
      Hope this helps!
      2011 Raider S