Author Topic: New Raider Owners  (Read 4387 times)

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 0
Re: New Raider Owners
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 05:54:34 pm »
The fuel storage on the Raider includes a subtank under the seat where the fuel pump is located.  The low fuel light on the "dashboard" is triggered by a thermistor mounted on the fuel pump.  If the gas gets that low, it no longer cools the thermistor and the light turns on.  When the light turns on, the digital display in the odometer automatically shifts to show you the number of miles you've ridden since the light came on.  There is about 0.8 gallons left when that occurs.  At 40 mpg average, you have about 30 miles to find fuel.

You are advised to burn premium gas in your Raider.  The compression ratio is 10.2 which is right on the edge of possible early detonation (knocking) of regular gas. 

As with most motorcycles, the engine, clutch, and transmission are all cooled and lubricated by the same oil.  Do not add additives to the oil to try to improve mileage or engine life because it may cause clutch slippage and a huge cleanup problem.   

Does this include Seafoam?

I wouldn't add Seafoam to my oil...
Donít add anything to your oil.
Put seafoam in the fuel....along with marvel mystery oil, Lucas upper cylinder lube, octane boost, ethonal reducer, Stabil 360, blah, blah, blah.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

House O Pain

• V Star
    « Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 07:37:04 pm »
    I've only owned my '09 Raider for a few weeks now so thanks to the OP and others who have added to the newbee info base.  ((THUMBS UP!))

I've never owned a fuel injected bike and honestly I dislike all the sensors and warning light codes I'm reading about, but I love the bike so I'll deal with it.  I suppose I'm a bit old school being in my 60's and having ridden 35 years on about 10 different bikes (lost count). 

One thing that wasn't mentioned here is the vacuum/suck that happens on the gas cap.  I stopped for gas for the first time and thought there was something wrong with the gas cap, but pulled harder and it came off with a with a sucking sound like the tank was sucking on the cap really hard.  My V-Star 1100 never did that...

UPDATE!!!

I did some research and discovered the the gas cap will have suction on it if a vent hose is blocked.  Advice was to pull the left engine cover to reveal hoses that control gas spill if the bike is tipped over.  Two hoses have stopper 'balls' inside that stop the gas flow when the bike is tilted.  I blew air through one of the lines and it was clogged.  Suggestion was to spay carb cleaner through it to free up the ball so it allows air through when not tilted.  It worked to clean/free up the inner stopper/ball so the tank could vent and the cap no longer has suction on it and bike seems to run better at low speeds now. [/color]
    « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2020, 08:01:41 pm by House O Pain »
    "A man's got to know his limitations"  Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

RangerRick

• Raider
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 08:04:02 pm »
    I've only owned my '09 Raider for a few weeks now so thanks to the OP and others who have added to the newbee info base.  ((THUMBS UP!))

I've never owned a fuel injected bike and honestly I dislike all the sensors and warning light codes I'm reading about, but I love the bike so I'll deal with it.  I suppose I'm a bit old school being in my 60's and having ridden 35 years on about 10 different bikes (lost count). 

One thing that wasn't mentioned here is the vacuum/suck that happens on the gas cap.  I stopped for gas for the first time and thought there was something wrong with the gas cap, but pulled harder and it came off with a with a sucking sound like the tank was sucking on the cap really hard.  My V-Star 1100 never did that...

My 2009 gas cap never did that, so I think the vent line may be restricted. But then maybe the California models do that if you still have the evap canister on it. Yes after 92,000 Plus miles I no longer trusted my bike  :(, so that's why I went with a Single carbed VTX ;) But the injection is nice when the engine is cold, had to relearn how to ride a carbed bike when cold.  :P Just today I got ride of it's stock petcock though and put a Pingel on it. Don't want that damn vacuum operated petcock.
    2007 Honda VTX 1300R
    ANG Member 25 years
    Retired Aug. 1, 2010

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 12:41:44 pm »
      I've had three different Raiders and never had that situation, but like Rick mentioned, it may have something to do with the extra CA BS added to your bike.  Maybe someone else from CA will chime in.

Mr. T

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 4
      « Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 11:36:53 pm »
      When youíre sitting at a red light and people start staring at you itís okay Ė that happens when you own a Raider.

I am glad Roadkill posted that last one as it made me feel a lot better.  I always thought they were staring at me and thinking how dorky I looked.

Donít give up on that thought.  ďDorkyĒ fits too.

July 2009

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat?  ;D

Harley... the art of turning gas into noise without all that pesky horsepower.  ;D

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #20 on: Jun 01, 2020, 02:31:29 am »
      When youíre sitting at a red light and people start staring at you itís okay Ė that happens when you own a Raider.

I am glad Roadkill posted that last one as it made me feel a lot better.  I always thought they were staring at me and thinking how dorky I looked.

Donít give up on that thought.  ďDorkyĒ fits too.
      That would explain all the stares I get when not on the Raider.  But I got use to them, and now I just imagine they are seeing me on my Raider. 
      SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

FoFo

• V Star
      « Reply #21 on: Jun 09, 2020, 06:49:06 pm »
      Thx for the info lol. The first one got me on the way home when I bought it. Stopped to get lunch only to find out it wouldn't start if not in neutral.... Lessons learned

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #22 on: Jun 09, 2020, 07:42:16 pm »
      Thx for the info lol. The first one got me on the way home when I bought it. Stopped to get lunch only to find out it wouldn't start if not in neutral.... Lessons learned

Itíll start in gear, just need to put the kickstand up

MrReacher

• V Star
      « Reply #23 on: Jun 13, 2020, 03:19:49 pm »
      Why not? It says on the product can that its okay. To be clear im not arguing just trying to learn.

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      « Reply #24 on: Jun 16, 2020, 02:24:41 am »
      Why not? It says on the product can that its okay. To be clear im not arguing just trying to learn.
      As Poadkill stated we have wet clutches in which the clutch is soaked with oil any oil not designed for wet clutch motorcycles or any additive to wet clutch designed oil will cause a slippery deposit to form on the clutch plates causing loss of friction and thus clutch slippage. 
      SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best