Author Topic: New Raider Owners  (Read 11017 times)

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 20
New Raider Owners
« on: Mar 22, 2019, 03:30:20 pm »
Are you a new Raider owner, if so here’s some little things you might like to know.
You have several sensors/switches:
•   Clutch sensor – if the bike is in gear it won’t start until you pull in the clutch
•   Neutral sensor – if the bike is in neutral you can start the bike without using the clutch
•   Lean Angle sensor – if you lay the bike down it will shut off
•   Idle sensor – if you let the bike idle for 20 minutes without moving it will shut off to prevent overheating
•   Kickstand switch – if the bike is on the kickstand and in gear you won’t be able to start it even with the clutch pulled in - if you use the kickstand to shut the bike off be sure to turn the key off before getting off - the headlight will stay on and you could end up with a dead batter.

If you have to jump start your Raider using a car/truck make sure the car/truck is not running - you can damage your ECU if it is.

Fuel gauge operation:
The fuel gauge works off the float in the tank and the ECU –
the float is used from the tine the tank is full until it reaches half a tank. The ECU then calculates how much fuel is left based on the first half tank consumption rate.

After filling up the gauge will not reset until the bike has moved approximately 20 ft.

Total fuel capacity is 4.2 gal this is including the .8 gal in the sub-tank under the seat.

Belt: If you hear a chirping noise when you decel it’s most likely your belt – simple test when you hear the chirping noise pull in the clutch and it goes away it’s the belt - it is either loose, too tight or dirty.

Grinding noise: if you start hearing a grinding noise that sounds like it’s coming from the left side of the engine – check your headlight to make sure that both the high and low beam work – a blown headlight will cause stator growl.

When you’re sitting at a red light and people start staring at you it’s okay – that happens when you own a Raider.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
    • Raider
    • Referrals: 7
    Re: New Raider Owners
    « Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2019, 03:41:15 pm »
    Good info.  I made this a sticky topic.

Sgt Fury

• 2012 Raider SCL #188
    • Roadliner
    • Referrals: 1
    « Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2019, 08:40:32 pm »
    Superb starter notes!     :peace:

There's no substitute for cubic inches and a good engine management system!   Hmmm, well maybe a blower, NOS or turbo....

• Advertisement

SLK

• Global Moderator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 0
      « Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:49:14 pm »
      When you’re sitting at a red light and people start staring at you it’s okay – that happens when you own a Raider.

I am glad Roadkill posted that last one as it made me feel a lot better.  I always thought they were staring at me and thinking how dorky I looked.
      SLK   I ride a Yamaha because I prefer to ride the best

HeavyG68

• 2015 Raider SE
      • V Star
      « Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2019, 03:09:15 pm »
      Great list of info...much appreciated!

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2019, 08:12:46 pm »
      Great write up Gary , definitely good info !!
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

wickmaster

• V Star
      Re: New Raider Owners.... Floorboards
      « Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2019, 04:58:47 pm »
      Thanks for the info. I have had my bike for about 5 months now. Added a windshield, driving lights, saddlebags, trunk, risers, and a little more. I am starting to get the stink eye from my wife relating to the toys I had added. I really want to add floorboards but spending another 2-4 hundred dollars will not sit well. A couple months ago, I saw floorboards with the Raider Logo. I liked them but I had other priorities to address on the bike. They were very reasonable. Now I can't find them to order. Can anyone help?

FireNative

• Roadliner
      « Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2019, 06:37:04 pm »
      I believe if you don't put the gas cap on all the way or at all the bike will not start also.

If you install a LED light it has less resistance than the stock light setup so you may have to install a load resistor to add amp pull? Not sure how it works but if you don't install a load resistor you can also get the "Stator Growl" as it makes a loud noise if you use LED lights with less electrical load than stock.

Raider comes stock with Air Filter:YA-1906
      Battery:YT14B-BS
      Front Brake Pads:1D7-W0045-00-00
      Front Tire:120/70-21
      Oil Filter:KN-204
      Rear Brake Pads:3D8-25806-00-00
      Rear Tire:210/40R18
      Sparkplug:DPR8EA-9

but with no mods you can throw a 250/40R18 on the rear with no problems but most here recommend the
      Avon av92 240/40/18 for the rear and
      Avon av91 120/70/21 for the front

and if you throw a new set of pipes on your Raider most people here recommend "Ivan's Flash" as it reprograms your bike to be better at.....everything, throttle response, power, fuel efficiency, and works great with stock or after market pipes and/or intake. Can someone throw Ivan's link in the thread.

Also the clock, tripometer select/cycle button is on the back upper part of the left handlebar controls. The reset button is the big black button below the Gauge. Just hold it to reset one of your trip meters. I personally use one trip for the day and one trip for the tank. So I know when to fuel up and at the end of the day how many miles I road.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2019, 06:52:55 pm by FireNative »

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 5
      « Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:56:18 pm »
      I believe if you don't put the gas cap on all the way or at all the bike will not start also.

There is no interlock to keep the Raider from starting or running with the gas cap open.  You do need to use a key (usually the one you had in the ignition) to open the gas cap, but I don't count that. 

If you install a LED light it has less resistance than the stock light setup so you may have to install a load resistor to add amp pull? Not sure how it works but if you don't install a load resistor you can also get the "Stator Growl" as it makes a loud noise if you use LED lights with less electrical load than stock.

This growl can also appear if you increase the load.  Sometimes adding passing lamps will result in the growl occurring at the same time a turn signal flashes. No kidding. 

Are you a new Raider owner, if so here’s some little things you might like to know.
      •   Kickstand switch – if the bike is on the kickstand and in gear you won’t be able to start it even with the clutch pulled in - if you use the kickstand or kill switch to shut the bike off be sure to turn the key off before getting off - the headlight will stay on and you could end up with a dead batter.

Roadkill must play baseball with his Raider.   :)

If you have to jump start your Raider using a car/truck make sure the car/truck is not running - you can damage your ECU if it is..
      I didn't know that.  I'm not sure I understand that.  Where did you find that?  Can anyone explain why that occurs? 

I have noticed this even when the Raider is rolling at substantial speeds.   O8O

[/quote]

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2019, 12:07:19 am »
      The Raider's engine is a semi-dry sump.  When operating, oil is distributed throughout the engine, transmission, and an oil tank under the seat.  That's why there are three oil drain plugs.  Oil level is checked by measuring the level in the oil tank (not the sump).  But a correct oil level can only be obtained by running the engine AND transmission to warm up and distribute all of the oil before measuring the level.  Go for a ride, stop the engine, remove the seat, bring the bike vertical, check the oil level.   

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 20
      « Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2019, 09:15:01 am »

There is no interlock to keep the Raider from starting or running with the gas cap open.  You do need to use a key (usually the one you had in the ignition) to open the gas cap, but I don't count that. 

This growl can also appear if you increase the load.  Sometimes adding passing lamps will result in the growl occurring at the same time a turn signal flashes. No kidding. 

•   Kickstand switch – if the bike is on the kickstand and in gear you won’t be able to start it even with the clutch pulled in - if you use the kickstand or kill switch to shut the bike off be sure to turn the key off before getting off - the headlight will stay on and you could end up with a dead batter.

Roadkill must play baseball with his Raider.   :)

If you have to jump start your Raider using a car/truck make sure the car/truck is not running - you can damage your ECU if it is..
      I didn't know that.  I'm not sure I understand that.  Where did you find that?  Can anyone explain why that occurs? 

I have noticed this even when the Raider is rolling at substantial speeds.   O8O

[/quote]
      A mechanic at the dealership that I've known for a long time brought it up - saying that if the alternator on the vehicle you are using to jump the bike kicks on it could damage the bikes electrical system

TRaider_John

• Patriot Guard Rider
      • Raider
      « Reply #11 on: Jun 26, 2019, 11:15:29 pm »
      The fuel storage on the Raider includes a subtank under the seat where the fuel pump is located.  The low fuel light on the "dashboard" is triggered by a thermistor mounted on the fuel pump.  If the gas gets that low, it no longer cools the thermistor and the light turns on.  When the light turns on, the digital display in the odometer automatically shifts to show you the number of miles you've ridden since the light came on.  There is about 0.8 gallons left when that occurs.  At 40 mpg average, you have about 30 miles to find fuel.

You are advised to burn premium gas in your Raider.  The compression ratio is 10.2 which is right on the edge of possible early detonation (knocking) of regular gas. 

As with most motorcycles, the engine, clutch, and transmission are all cooled and lubricated by the same oil.  Do not add additives to the oil to try to improve mileage or engine life because it may cause clutch slippage and a huge cleanup problem.     

bacchus40

• Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2019, 12:28:40 am »

i was thinking on this after recent discussion.. it makes sense, the STATOR will try to 'balance' the load, account for variances.

they also growl when they're near end of life, as again it would be working twice as hard to keep everything smooth.

its a very interesting system with various means of warning the rider something is amiss.. its important to keep it happy.

You are advised to burn premium gas in your Raider.  The compression ratio is 10.2 which is right on the edge of possible early detonation (knocking) of regular gas. 

i can attest to the Raider engine not being happy on 87 octane, regular..  Ive had to run it when there's nothing else around. :(

i tuned my Bike for conservative fuel use, at 89 octane.  Mostly because its easier to tune up to 91/94 than the other way around (at a later time).

I do like to do longer rides on the Raider and when i'm out on the road for a few days, there's no point breaking the bank so i run 89 oct.

that being said.. i just went for a ride (without re-tuning) running a fresh full tank (ran the last 100% empty) of 91 octane.

boy does it ever make a difference.. there's no hesitation even at low RPM, low throttle.. bike pulls nicely out of corners
      and has a beautiful rumble cruising down the road.  I think i'll do one more run on 89 octane and save the map
      for future use.. BUT i will start a 91 octane map, its running much better (post re-flash 2.0) now and already offers improved mpg.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2019, 10:55:06 pm by bacchus40 »

MrReacher

• V Star
      « Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 02:23:56 pm »
      The fuel storage on the Raider includes a subtank under the seat where the fuel pump is located.  The low fuel light on the "dashboard" is triggered by a thermistor mounted on the fuel pump.  If the gas gets that low, it no longer cools the thermistor and the light turns on.  When the light turns on, the digital display in the odometer automatically shifts to show you the number of miles you've ridden since the light came on.  There is about 0.8 gallons left when that occurs.  At 40 mpg average, you have about 30 miles to find fuel.

As with most motorcycles, the engine, clutch, and transmission are all cooled and lubricated by the same oil.  Do not add additives to the oil to try to improve mileage or engine life because it may cause clutch slippage and a huge cleanup problem.   

Does this include Seafoam?

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 05:12:04 pm »

Does this include Seafoam?

I wouldn't add Seafoam to my oil...