Author Topic: 465 SERIES SHOCK W/RAP  (Read 1423 times)

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 2
Re: 465 SERIES SHOCK W/RAP
« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2019, 09:30:43 pm »

if you change your lines and turn in timing... n

uhmm.. if you're forced to adjust your lines and turn in timing then clearly the handling has been affected.. why is it nobody understands this?

when the rest of us speak of performance / suspension upgrades we all speak of how much easier it is to find your line
and stick with it through the entire corner.  We speak of how much easier it is to maintain corner speed and how much
more pull we get when driving out a corner.  Heck we speak of how well balanced it NOW behaves under hard braking.

this isnt even a debate.   ground clearance will  be negatively affected, considering its already a low riding 700lbs
motorcycle then lowering further cant do anything BUT limit your cornering ability!! i can clearly see it on other
bikes which have been lowered.  Most recent experience is on a lowered ZX14R.  The difference is astounding
and said bike owner is still oblivious.   

have fun adjusting your riding style to counter-act the negative effects of lowering an already low 'CHOPPER' with 39 degree rake including a 6deg kick :D

i would point out when it comes to sportbikes (specially yamahas) the PROs discuss geometry improvements
by raising the rear ride height, or lowering the front end.  Nobody ever talks about slamming the bike down
till you're dragging arse as a means to improve your riding lines.  not one professional rider.  thats gotta tell you something.

unless you're focusing 100% in drag racing of course.  then by all means slam it and stretch to your hearts content :D

Thatís a whole lot of explaining something I donít think completely understand ... but please come to SERR in a month and I will help you understand what a slammed raider can do through some backroads !
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2019, 09:38:06 pm by Zxdave »
Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

bacchus40

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2019, 09:42:34 pm »
    Thatís a whole lot of explaining something I donít think completely understand ... but please come to SERR in a month and I will help you understand what a slammed raider can do through some backroads !

wicked, that sounds a lot like you'll be paying for a much needed vacation! how nice of you :D

but since thats not gonna happen:

im very happy with the 465 (RAP) series shock, stock height with RaceTech Fork Valving & upgraded springs.

once you know something works, there is zero need to go back.

i think there are certain things some folks just learn to live without, and adjust their expectations to suit. 
    This should not deter or diminish the value of a properly thought out setup which will yield the best results
    for the most amount of the riding public.   Its not so much about "what one can do without this or that"
    as much as 'why bother really'?  The engineers over at Progressive Suspension have done a marvelous
    job of tuning the suspension requirements of the Star Raider line.  They deserve the accolades they receive.
    « Last Edit: Jun 19, 2019, 09:56:38 pm by bacchus40 »

bacchus40

• Road Star
    « Reply #17 on: Jun 23, 2019, 11:58:55 pm »
    for what its worth, i went out for a ride yesterday with my old man.  He's a little lighter on the scale than
    I am so i tried a quick adjustment.  I backed off on pre-load and i quickly found improved results.  Its a fine line though.
    once i was happy with it I switched bikes and let him take my Raider S up the Fraser Canyon {BC boy here}.

I did set it lower than where it was when these pictures were taken (more than a year ago) but its not a huge adjustment.

alas, i'm very happy with the shock and its adjust-ability.  I think the Purists will shy away as they want
    to keep the slammed look of the bike.  IMHO its more of an optical illusion than anything.

i rode behind dad to see what the bike looked like in mid corner and its still very much a low rider,
    looked happy and poised trough the twisty bits, awesome riding up the canyon.  It moves.

in so far as SERR, these rallies are staged entirely too far from home.. i live in the Upper North West.  :D
    the R1 forum also had rallies like it set up back in the day, i've never been able to make the trek, too damn far.
    « Last Edit: Jun 24, 2019, 01:36:39 am by bacchus40 »

• Advertisement

Lulu

• Road Star
      « Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 04:48:06 am »
      Want to revive this one to keep the information together. Let's talk about your settings.
      I have a 465 stock length NO Rap. My rebound damping is at 3 but it kicks back in my back. Switched to 4, will testride today.
      Questions to you
      What setting are you using?
      Does this shock needs to be serviced after 15kmi?
      Long term reliability ?
      Ride safe and burn the virus 😷

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 06:17:39 am »
      As Lulu has asked questions, I have a couple.

I am considering this upgrade and did wonder whether the 1" lower option was the better bet than the standard one.

I did do the fork extension mod (+3") and when ridden around twisties, the bike didn't handle as well and felt a significant difference on the front end so took then off.
      Now if I but a standard 465 with RAP, can I adjust it to sit lower and emulate maybe the standard position on the 1" lower version? As I'm sure there must be adjustment to do so, but unsure.
      I don't wish to lose ground clearance as scraping the pegs and exhaust will become worse, but riding on highways with the bike lowered might be a nice option if I can lower it on the move?

Any help appreciated
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Raven

• Warrior
      « Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 06:59:56 am »
      My first attempt at lowering my Raider was with a Progressive without the RAP and for me was a huge mistake as my body took a severe pounding. I adjusted it numerous times to dial it to where it was bearable but could never find the sweet spot. Loved the look but hated the ride. Then went with the Tricky air ride and have never looked back. Comfortable riding and looks awesome when lowered even more so when fully slammed. Just remember to get the 1" spacer. As far as riding performance a lowered Raider will outperform a stock one in the twisties hands down in my personal experience. My pegs, frame and exhaust have got the scars to prove it. I would never be able to lean or take corners at the speeds I do now if I still had my stock set up. Others can argue the physics and geometry til the cows come home but I'd take my lowered bike over stock in the twisties any day of the week. Just my .02c
      « Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:06:25 pm by Raven »

Kevs UK Raider SCL

• UK Raider SCL #300
      • Roadliner
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 11:13:56 am »
      My first attempt at lowering my Raider was with a Progressive without the RAP and for me was a huge mistake as my body took a severe pounding. I adjusted it numerous times to dial it to where it was bearable but could never find the sweet spot. Loved the look but hated the ride. Then went with the Tricky air ride and have never looked back. Comfortable riding and looks awesome when lowered even more so when fully slammed. Just remember to get the 1" spacer. As far as riding performance a lowered Raider will outperform a stock one in the twisties hands down in my personal experience. My pegs, frame and exhaust have got the scars to prove it. I would never be able to lean or take corners at the speeds I do now if I still had my stock set up. Others can argue the physics and geometry til the cows come home but I'd take my lowered bike over stock in the twisties and day of the week. Just my .02c

What does the 1" spacer do or is it a requirement to make the kit fit?
      One of only around 65 or so Raider Owners in the UK

Raven

• Warrior
      « Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 12:04:19 pm »
      In the event that your shock or compressor fails you'll have the 1" gap between the tire and fender to allow you to carry on. It would be a rough ride but at least you can get  home or to a shop