Author Topic: Total Redesign  (Read 2169 times)

Fasttimez

• Warrior
  • Referrals: 0
Total Redesign
« on: Apr 30, 2019, 05:55:23 am »
I went on a 350 mile trip this past Sunday, riding with a bunch of touring bikes that had larger fuel capacities than the Raider.  It sucked ass having to stop 3 times just for gas, while everyone else only needed to stop once.  I'm going to fix this once & for all......we just hired a new design engineer who used to work for Boeing, I've already talked with him about totally ripping my bike apart & fabricating a larger sub tank that will hold an extra 1.5 gallons of fuel.  While we're there, fabricating a new battery tray area to hold a larger capacity battery also.  It's gonna be a total rework of the entire under the seat area, he told me after taking measurements of everything & the area it needed to fit in, I'd have what I wanted plus extra space left over for storage or whatever else I wanted.  He was kinda shocked at the amount of "wasted space" by Yamaha.  He drew up a rendering on solid works software & showed me just how easy it would be to rework everything with the space available.  If I can't have a 6th gear, I'm gonna get my damn extra fuel capacity..... O8O

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
    • Raider
    Re: Total Redesign
    « Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2019, 07:11:55 am »
    I went on a 350 mile trip this past Sunday, riding with a bunch of touring bikes that had larger fuel capacities than the Raider.  It sucked ass having to stop 3 times just for gas, while everyone else only needed to stop once.  I'm going to fix this once & for all......we just hired a new design engineer who used to work for Boeing, I've already talked with him about totally ripping my bike apart & fabricating a larger sub tank that will hold an extra 1.5 gallons of fuel.  While we're there, fabricating a new battery tray area to hold a larger capacity battery also.  It's gonna be a total rework of the entire under the seat area, he told me after taking measurements of everything & the area it needed to fit in, I'd have what I wanted plus extra space left over for storage or whatever else I wanted.  He was kinda shocked at the amount of "wasted space" by Yamaha.  He drew up a rendering on solid works software & showed me just how easy it would be to rework everything with the space available.  If I can't have a 6th gear, I'm gonna get my damn extra fuel capacity..... O8O

Maybe more gas.
    The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

Fasttimez

• Warrior
    « Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2019, 09:20:52 am »

Maybe more gas.
    I don't want to intrude too far with the sub tank design as to make it possibly unsafe in the result of an accident......I'd rather forego the massive fireball  ;D

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2019, 11:40:23 am »
      Looking forward to seeing progression on this. If you guys can do it, you may have a market for selling a conversion kit.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2019, 01:43:39 pm »
      Looking forward to seeing progression on this. If you guys can do it, you may have a market for selling a conversion kit.
      The one thing I've realized about the Raider, is the market for parts is VERY small.  Like so small you'd either break even on profits, or you'd make very little money on Raider only specific parts (unless you're a company that caters to many bikes like L&M).  This stuff is just gonna be a one off for me since I'm using "Work" assets  :-X  I've already sent off the prints for my 1 tooth smaller front pulley to be machined....when I get that back, the Raider will be strictly an around town bike, or backroads only bike do to the gearing change from the pulley.....I don't wanna be pushing 4K RPM on the Interstate to do 75-80 MPH.  That extra fuel will come in handy with that new pulley swap.   

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2019, 01:48:16 pm »
      I get what you're saying about being a small market.

What I don't get is if you're planning on this only being an "around town" or "backroads" bike, then why invest all the extra into the fuel capacity.  It doesn't sound like it'll be an issue.

Matt St John (former member) was running a pulley with less teeth and he would ride it from New Mexico to Arizona quite often.

fireandice51

• Road Star
      « Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2019, 07:23:14 pm »
      You've brought up an interesting subject. Since the Raider has so much torque, even in 5th gear, I wonder how it would affect range and performance to just machine a couple of teeth out of the rear sprocket? It seems, with so much power, that the bike could easily handle the smaller sprocket?

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2019, 10:31:51 pm »
      Why are you guys talking about having it machined?  I thought most just swapped with a Strat pulley.

Fasttimez

• Warrior
      « Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 04:59:17 pm »
      Why are you guys talking about having it machined?  I thought most just swapped with a Strat pulley.
      I'm talking about a FRONT pulley.....nobody makes a front pulley for a Raider.  I'm getting one made that's 1 tooth less, which equals going up 3 on the rear pulley.  Best thing with a front pulley swap, no belt change needed at all, just use your stock belt.

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      « Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 05:19:14 pm »
      I'm talking about a FRONT pulley.....nobody makes a front pulley for a Raider.  I'm getting one made that's 1 tooth less, which equals going up 3 on the rear pulley.  Best thing with a front pulley swap, no belt change needed at all, just use your stock belt.

Oh!  Did not realize that.

A.T.

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 05:27:06 pm »
      I think you'll find a lot of interest in greater fuel capacity. 

Member "Deyv" has an external tank mounted on the rear of his bike and plumbed  - think he said he got 400 miles or so?  Didn't care for the look but would love that mileage range.

SilverStar

• Raider
      • Referrals: 1
      « Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 06:28:34 pm »
      Fasttimez, I think the way to make a few bucks would be to sell the plans if yours works out well.  I wouldn’t want to spend $1000 for a sub tank and battery box but I’d spend twenty five or maybe even fifty to save me from thinking that hard.  :o
      "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  -  Isaac Asimov

MODS
      Yami Tall Sissy Bar
      Kury Passenger Swept Wing Pegs and Extensions
      Speedstar Drags
      Avons front and 240 rear
      Mustang 2-piece

cobaltss01

• 2015 Raider
      • Road Star
      « Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 10:31:39 pm »
      I actually think about this sometimes also. Wondering what it would look like making the tank about an inch or so wider on each side and a little on the top. A different gas cap could be put on as well.

PC-Raider

• Warrior
      « Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 12:06:30 am »
      Might is work to fabricate an M109 tank?  Those suckers are huge!

Deyv

• Raider
      « Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 10:02:54 am »
      I think you'll find a lot of interest in greater fuel capacity. 

Member "Deyv" has an external tank mounted on the rear of his bike and plumbed  - think he said he got 400 miles or so?  Didn't care for the look but would love that mileage range.

Yeah, not quite that good... the external tank brings by fuel capacity to 8.7 gallons, @ 40 mpg, max range is 348.