Author Topic: Bad oil leak  (Read 3641 times)

seventhLetter

• Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Bad oil leak
« on: Jul 20, 2019, 01:56:23 pm »
I know thereís a lot of ribbing to the HD folks about oil leaking, but my Raider has done it for a while and has gotten worse.

Iíve tried several things to track it down but so far I have no clue.

What I know:

It shows up on the bottom in some consistent spots.  It is a wet drip, but only after riding. If I clean it up and donít ride, it doesnít appear to leak.

I have a BAK, and originally had the puke tube running over the air pods along left frame, then following the front left frame to the ground.

I though the oil I discovered was from that, so I re-routed that hose up by the neck and added a breather filter so it basically drains back into the motor now.

The leak is still present after riding. Wet, drippy leak.

Looking closely around the oil pipes, it looked like it might be coming from one of the lower connection points (behind the hard clutch line).  So I ordered the o-rings and went through the process of pulling those pipes (much like a tavern puzzle! Good grief!)! And replaced the o-rings, then replaced the pipes (reverse solving the tavern puzzle).

Went on about an hour ride today.

I was nervous to check under the bike when I returned home.

Sure enough, the leak is still there.

The dealer here SUCKS for doing any work on a Raider.  I donít trust them AT ALL. Long story for another post.

In the attached pics, this is the underside of the bike, looking from the right side, toward the kickstand
RoxieRaider, SeventhLetter, G, "hey you", I answer to just about anything.

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

sscottab

• Road Star
    • Referrals: 0
    Re: Bad oil leak
    « Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2019, 07:28:54 pm »
    from the third picture it looks like the foward drain plug leaking and running along the bottom

Hunterman

• V Star
    « Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2019, 06:43:01 am »
    You can buy some dye from the parts store and some in the oil to help you track it down.

• Advertisement

seventhLetter

• Raider
      « Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2019, 03:04:30 pm »
      Thanks guys. Itís not coming from a drain plug. It pools that direction after sitting on the side stand. Itís coming from the right side of the bike. I was very close to solving it when I replaced the o-rings on the oil pipes.

After talking with Nick Easterday and having another look, I see it is actually coming from another hard line just below that. Itís just an o-ring replacement and strainers too, but itís in a really hard to get to place. Requires disassembly and lifting the motor a bit.

In the schematic, the hard line Iím talking about is #3. To be replaced is the o-ring (#6) and the strainers (#4)

marcelmot

• Roadliner
      « Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2019, 06:31:33 am »
      Thanks guys. Itís not coming from a drain plug. It pools that direction after sitting on the side stand. Itís coming from the right side of the bike. I was very close to solving it when I replaced the o-rings on the oil pipes.

After talking with Nick Easterday and having another look, I see it is actually coming from another hard line just below that. Itís just an o-ring replacement and strainers too, but itís in a really hard to get to place. Requires disassembly and lifting the motor a bit.

In the schematic, the hard line Iím talking about is #3. To be replaced is the o-ring (#6) and the strainers (#4)

You are right. It's #3.
      And your bike is not the only one, I have a friend with a Stratoliner with the same leak and also I have found on net forums, also fb, that more riders with this engine has the same issue.
      The labor work is big .... I know for sure because I have replaced the strainers & O-rings at my friend's Stratoliner in my garage. Like you said, you have to unbolt the engine from the frame, to be able to lift it a bit, just to reach the screws.
      Also, I remember, I had to remove the oil filter because was hitting the frame ....
      My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
      "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

seventhLetter

• Raider
      « Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2019, 09:43:15 am »
      Hey thanks for the confirmation.  It stinks, but good to know what the solution is.

marcelmot

• Roadliner
      « Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2019, 01:22:47 am »
      Hey thanks for the confirmation.  It stinks, but good to know what the solution is.

I remember also that after I have changed the O-rings & strainers, the leak it didn't completely disappear !!! You can feel, a bit, some oil round there, but very very little. So, I suggest that you put also some silicone on the O-rings & strainers.
      My life it's an endless fight against maturity.
      "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

seventhLetter

• Raider
      « Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:18:39 am »
      Sorry for digging this back up...but after a complete dismantle on my bike (took motor out of frame) and replaced all o-rings and the oil strainers, the leak is still there.  And now it leaks just sitting there...doesn't require pressure to build up.  Interesting though, it doesn't appear to be oil.  It is more clear in color and less thick than oil.  I originally thought it was oil because I only ever saw the leak after riding, and I guess it would stick to the underside of the motor and pick up dirt and discolor it to a darker color.

I'm open to all ideas at this point.

Just want to ride again.
      « Last Edit: Feb 17, 2020, 10:23:07 am by seventhLetter »

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:32:11 am »
      Did you get ride of your air box and add a BAK and if you did you add a puke can for the blow back?

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:45:20 am »
      Are any of your fluid reservoirs low in fluid?

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2020, 04:20:13 pm »
      Did you get ride of your air box and add a BAK and if you did you add a puke can for the blow back?
      Did you get ride of your air box?
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

LeaderDuece

• There is no substitute for power. Raw nasty power.
      • Warrior
      « Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2020, 06:53:27 pm »
      What you described was brake fluid. And thatís near the rear reservoir. Also, the clutch line goes in above there. Have you lost any fluid from either of those?

seventhLetter

• Raider
      « Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:05:30 am »
      Did the BAK like 10 years ago.  I had a puke line running along the left frame down to the ground.  I thought that was the problem, but I shortened it and ran it up by the neck with a filter on the end so it can still breathe, but it runs back into the motor more like the stock setup.  So that wasn't it.

Took my bike to One Off Custom Designs, and in ONE DAY he dismantled the motor, replaced all o-rings and the oil strainers.  Still leaks.

However, recently (a couple of months ago) - I noticed it leaking in the garage and I hadn't even ridden in a while.  This time, since I hadn't ridden, I could tell that the fluid didn't appear to be oil.

I will check the reservoirs and let you know what I find.  Would be great if it was just one of the lines and I could just replace it or tighten a loose fitting.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:03:51 pm »
      Damn bro sorry to hear you still having issues ... get that thing fixed before SERR !
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

seventhLetter

• Raider
      « Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2020, 08:02:28 am »
      I haven't even reserved for SERR because my parents will be visiting from out of state.  Depending on their schedule, I'll likely just pop over for a few days and stay wherever there is a vacancy.