Author Topic: Bad oil leak  (Read 3646 times)

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
  • Raider
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Bad oil leak
« Reply #30 on: Feb 29, 2020, 07:33:42 pm »
Goodluck Gary
V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

RoadStarRaider

• Advertisement

StrykerBilly

• Warrior
    • Referrals: 0
    « Reply #31 on: Feb 29, 2020, 10:21:56 pm »
    Gary, again get the frustration but you are a lot closer.  You know what is leaking and where plus what has been done.
    You or a competent shop(can be hard to find) ought to be able to fix it.

Hard parts could be out of spec but depending on the seal(o-ring, flat etc.) they generally are designed to make up for small differences and handle both hot/cold situations.
    My money would be on them or some grime on the mating surfaces but I'm not there to observe personally.  Take a good visual look and if possible feel the parts.  Anything that out of spec would feel weird in your hand. 
    Another thing to take into account depending on the part is whether or not it might have gotten dented due to road debris etc.

Best of luck but you got this!!

Dirtiegirtie

• Road Star
    « Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2020, 05:32:27 am »
    Now I know WHERE and WHAT it is, I just need to fix it.

Something is off...so I'm going to replace the pipe and drop in a little thicker o-ring.

FINGERS CROSSED.

I'm sure just knowing for certain what the issue is had got to be a relief! Hopefully the tube got bent or nicked a bit during one of the previous removals and that fixes it for you for good. Keep us updated!

• Advertisement

Ares X

• Administrator
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 7
      « Reply #33 on: Mar 01, 2020, 10:21:51 am »
      I have nothing more to add except good luck wishes on getting it solved.

Dark Matter

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2020, 11:27:32 am »
      Cool.  It looks like a Small Magellanic Cloud.

What he meant to say is  :ihntasiajptrmpc:

Which is what I just did.
      The Star Cruiser “Dark Matter”; named in recognition of the attractive force theorized to exist as an explanation of balance in the universe.

“…if you can make beer in space, life in space will be possible… it is a shortage of beer in space that is holding back further space exploration.”  Dr Walsh 2009

dukedomain

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2020, 08:05:40 pm »
      Cool.  It looks like a Small Magellanic Cloud.

What he meant to say is  :ihntasiajptrmpc:

Which is what I just did.

EXACTLY. 

seventhLetter

• Raider
      « Reply #36 on: Mar 25, 2020, 03:24:20 pm »
      Update:

Got the new pipe in and O-rings.  Took old pipe off.  Inspected the pipe and the flange on the case.  There is NOTHING wrong with them.  Both look perfect.   

So....I talked to Nick at One Off Custom Design again and he sent me a link to some o-rings that are same diameter, but thicker by 1mm.  They fill the channel snugly. This seemed promising.

Went ahead and installed the new pipe, with the new thicker o-ring.  Here's where it gets crazy.  I could feel the rubber of the O-ring sticking out.  I thought it had slipped down during install so I re-installed 3 more times.  Each time the O-ring was sticking out.  (See image below).  Well that was crazy...didn't feel comfortable with that. 

So now I've gone to new pipe, OEM O-ring and some RTV.  I just set that a few hours ago.  Tomorrow I'll refill the oil and go for a spin and see if it works.

It's crazy to me that mine would be the only Raider with this problem.  The flange on the pipe is wider than the mated surface on the case.  So the channel that the O-ring is in is slightly exposed.  That seems like not a good design.

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2020, 03:59:29 pm by seventhLetter »
      RoxieRaider, SeventhLetter, G, "hey you", I answer to just about anything.

Fiddles

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      « Reply #37 on: Mar 25, 2020, 05:24:09 pm »
      Hope it works , did you use the  silicone sparingly, 
      V&H 2into1, Bullet cowl, Full Wrap front Fender, Ultimate  seat, Barons Tach, lowering bones and progressive spring, Ivan's flash, K&N filter with open air box, Avon Cobra Chrome  tires

seventhLetter

• Raider
      « Reply #38 on: Mar 25, 2020, 05:51:59 pm »
      I did. I was scared to put too much. I just made a little bead around it.

the urban legend

• Raider
      « Reply #39 on: Mar 25, 2020, 07:34:35 pm »
      Is that a picture of the new O ring? Hope not, cause I see 2 severe cracks in it.
      And I've never looked at how those pipes are seated in the case on mine, but that doesn't look right to me. My Raider is still in winter storage, but I'll try to have a look tomorrow.
      I'd rather die on a motorcycle than live without one.

seventhLetter

• Raider
      « Reply #40 on: Mar 26, 2020, 09:10:11 am »
      Is that a picture of the new O ring? Hope not, cause I see 2 severe cracks in it.
      And I've never looked at how those pipes are seated in the case on mine, but that doesn't look right to me. My Raider is still in winter storage, but I'll try to have a look tomorrow.

Nah. That was the first attempt with one of the thicker o-rings.  I tried several times and never could get them to seat well.  I was also over cranking the bolts the first time as I didn't realize the specs were only about 7-8 lbs and this pic was taken after the first try. I suppose there's a possibility that they were slipping down because they literally filled the whole channel and were hard to keep in place, but after 3 attempts I just couldn't get it to work.  So I went back to the factory o-ring and used some RTV.  If it still leaks, I'll try the thicker ones again on my next oil change.
      « Last Edit: Mar 26, 2020, 09:13:10 am by seventhLetter »

seventhLetter

• Raider
      « Reply #41 on: Mar 27, 2020, 10:04:41 am »
      Went for a ride yesterday.  Still leaks with stock o-ring and RTV.  I guess on my next oil change I'll try again, with maybe a little more RTV.  Just don't want to go nuts with it.

Jeez this is annoying as hell.

Zxdave

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 2
      « Reply #42 on: Mar 27, 2020, 11:13:49 am »
      Damn it brother that’s no good..... I would not use too much RTV as I think that could possibly make it leak also .
      Man I hope you get it fixed soon Gary !
      Lean till it grinds , then lean some more ..

ROADKILL

• SEA-ROAR
      • Raider
      • Referrals: 19
      « Reply #43 on: Mar 27, 2020, 11:37:41 am »
      Damn it brother that’s no good..... I would not use too much RTV as I think that could possibly make it leak also .
      Man I hope you get it fixed soon Gary !
      I'm not liking the rtv either - seems like you could get some gasket material and make a gasket along with the o-ring.

seventhLetter

• Raider
      « Reply #44 on: Mar 27, 2020, 02:42:16 pm »
      That seems like it could be a good idea.  Would I cut it in the shape of the flat area on the case?  and should the hole be larger diameter than the o-ring?  I have lots of questions. haha